IGNORED

Where is a LEO when you need one.

Skywagon

I was crusing right at 65mph today just right after passing the EZ Tag reader on the tollway. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw a black BMW M3 hauling arse in the left lane. He was going so fast I decided to scoot over a bit even though I wasn't in his lane. I am sure he was going at least 30 mph faster than me and I suspect even faster. He weaved through a couple of cars and then was out of site. I was thinking I sure wish a cop would see him. About 30-45 seconds later a Constable in a car came flying by on the left. I thought there was no chance he would ever catch the guy. About 5 minutes down the road, sure enough he had him pulled over, out of the car, and holding his pistol on him.

If it were legal and wouldn't have looked like I was inteferring or putting the LEO in an unknown situation by stopping, I would have loved to have stopped and bought him lunch.

Thanks Mr Leo...You may well have saved somebody's life.

The mystery...how did the Leo know? Did the toll booth attendant report it, or someone on a cell. How the heck did he get there so fast and even more impressive...how fast was he going to catch him.

On paper, an M3 can kick a Crown Vic's ass. In reality, it's just like motorcycles, the better rider wins in the end. And nobody outruns a radio.

You're sick. I live in Texas and the worst people on the road drive pickups and vans. They drive way to slow or dangerously fast in vehicles that can't handle a turn. They are involved in almost every road accident and are also the ones who try to chase road cyclist's off the road.

You know what the difference between a porcupine and a BMW driver?

The porcupine has the pricks on the outside!!

George Carlin said it best. Anyone driving slower than you is a moron and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac.

I'd be happier if the CHiPs pulled over more drivers who show incompetence or distraction than speeders.

Sometimes there is justice! A few years back we were going from Sacramento to Reno, over Donners pass and a guy in a big F-350 Monster Truck type vehicle was tailgating everyone by usually just a few feet, including us on the RT, and also weaving through traffic at about 85mph. Not wanting a confrontation, we would let him by, and sure enough he would appear again because he was caught in traffic etc. A few miles later I was doing about 10mph over because we were going down the hill, and sure enough, a CHP was cutting through the median in a big hurry, I thought "Seriously, is he doing that to pull me over?"

Sure enough though, a few miles later guess who he has pulled over, the guy in the Truck! We just honked and waved as we went by!! It was nice to know there is some justice in the world!!

The mystery...how did the Leo know? Did the toll booth attendant report it, or someone on a cell. How the heck did he get there so fast and even more impressive...how fast was he going to catch him.

Perhaps you have the cause and effect reversed. Maybe he was speeding because the leo was chasing him.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I'd be happier if the CHiPs pulled over more drivers who show incompetence or distraction than speeders.

AMEN!

My particular thorn is the 5-under rolling roadblock. :mad:

AMEN!

My particular thorn is the 5-under rolling roadblock. :mad:

+1

You must live in a "retirement" area too :(

If it were legal and wouldn't have looked like I was inteferring or putting the LEO in an unknown situation by stopping, I would have loved to have stopped and bought him lunch.

There is nothing wrong with stopping behind the officer's car, staying on your bike (or in your car) until the officer approaches you. Then tell him you're a witness to the the guy's dangerous driving, if he needs one. If the officer says no thanks, then go about your way. But I can't conceive of him saying you're interferring.

There is nothing wrong with stopping behind the officer's car, staying on your bike

I think most would like it better if you stopped way out in front. That way we don't have to worry about what is behind us. If you stop in front we can keep our attention in one direction.

I think most would like it better if you stopped way out in front. That way we don't have to worry about what is behind us. If you stop in front we can keep our attention in one direction.

I agree, do not stop behind the officer unless he gives you some sort of clue as he goes by that he is aware of you and wants you to follow him to the stop etc. Keep in mind that in this case, if the guy was just a speeder, why did the officer have him at gun point? Do you really want to add to an officer's stress if he feels he needs his gun out. If you really feel like telling the officer what you saw/know, yes, stop way up in front, but there again keep in mind, in this case, you would have been down range. Maybe pull off some where ahead, call into dispatch and let them know who you are and you are calling about the stop at such and such and saw the idiot driving etc etc. and if the officer wants to talk to you, he can call you later etc etc.

To go along with this, my partner and I years ago on our way back to our city got caught in a traffic jam. Guess the guy a few cars back thought we could not do anything since we were outside of our city or he did not see us when he drove down the shoulder, through the grass median between freeway ramps and basically made a jerk out of himself the way he was driving. Since traffic was at a stand still, once we caught up to him and stopped him, every car that went by while we had him stopped honked, waved, gave a thumbs up yelled etc.

I agree, do not stop behind the officer unless he gives you some sort of clue as he goes by that he is aware of you and wants you to follow him to the stop etc. Keep in mind that in this case, if the guy was just a speeder, why did the officer have him at gun point? Do you really want to add to an officer's stress if he feels he needs his gun out. If you really feel like telling the officer what you saw/know, yes, stop way up in front, but there again keep in mind, in this case, you would have been down range. Maybe pull off some where ahead, call into dispatch and let them know who you are and you are calling about the stop at such and such and saw the idiot driving etc etc. and if the officer wants to talk to you, he can call you later etc etc.

+1

Very few officers like people pulling in behind them on traffic stops. If you're going to stop then pull ahead of the stop. If you see officer(s) with guns pointing down-range, keep on going and call as suggested by Eric.

Even though your intentions are good, from an officer's stand point you're adding to the problem, because they don't know who you are and why you're there.

For most traffic violations (infractions) officers do not need witnesses, so calling in and asking if your assistance is needed is generally more helpful.

Yep..totally agree, that is why I didn't stop. Not to mention the additional safety issue of me stopped on the left side of the road.

To go along with this, my partner and I years ago on our way back to our city got caught in a traffic jam. Guess the guy a few cars back thought we could not do anything since we were outside of our city or he did not see us when he drove down the shoulder, through the grass median between freeway ramps and basically made a jerk out of himself the way he was driving. Since traffic was at a stand still, once we caught up to him and stopped him, every car that went by while we had him stopped honked, waved, gave a thumbs up yelled etc.

Sounds like you got this guy:

burt_on_bandit_car_300_size_i1yx.jpg

+1, Stop in front if you want to stop, EXCEPT if they have someone at gun point. Make a mental note of the time and location and give a call later on to see if a witness is needed.

There is nothing worse than having someone stop behind you. It blocks out your emergency lights and puts unknown people in front of and behind you.

If they have someone at gun point and you stop in front "think" BACK STOP : )

Either is not a great idea, stopping in front or back. I do not like either when I am on a traffic stop. Can not tell you how many have come up behind and ask for direction. Meaning I have had to take my eyes off the bad guy. Had a traffic stop where the guy comes back wanted and somebody pulls up wants directions. Hate to been a$$, but I got a job to do and your direction needs can wait.

If you see a gun pull, keep driving, you do not want to be in line of fire and call 911.

A good witness goes a long way.

If I see the cops with a perp on the side of the road I keep driving and am thankfull it aint me the cherrys are on for, and if said leo has his gun drawn I sure as hell aint stoppin' for any reason! I mean I look like a perp on a good day and the last thing I need is to be mistaken for some felony stops back up or something of the sort. I will stop and give a statement if I saw a wreck or something that my statement will be of help on, but for the most part I figure if the lights are on the evidence has pretty much been gathered already.

CoarsegoldKid
A few miles later I was doing about 10mph over because we were going down the hill,

There is no doubt even if the truck was shooting 50 cal rounds I'd have gotten the ticket.

You're sick.

My post was in jest -- a tongue-in-cheek poke at myself and others who ride BMW motorcycles.

I tried to indicate that my post was in jest by inserting an emoticon for a wink, but somehow it didn't show up.

+1

Very few officers like people pulling in behind them on traffic stops. If you're going to stop then pull ahead of the stop. If you see officer(s) with guns pointing down-range, keep on going and call as suggested by Eric.

Even though your intentions are good, from an officer's stand point you're adding to the problem, because they don't know who you are and why you're there.

For most traffic violations (infractions) officers do not need witnesses, so calling in and asking if your assistance is needed is generally more helpful.

I agree with all that. My point wasn't so much to pull behind the officer, but to give your name as a witness if you think it may be needed. And certainly, if the officer's gun is out then you should just move right along!

Actually, when I read this post I was thinking of an incident that day where I was riding north on Hwy 75 in Plano (northern suburb of Dallas) and a guy in a large SUV was going at least 90+ MPH (I was at 70-ish on my bike and he passed me like I was standing still) in moderate to heavy traffic. He was dangerously weaving between lanes, throwing up debris on the shoulder, and darn near clipped a couple of cars. I knew that he'd be in Allen within a couple of miles, and I also knew that Allen officers were enforcing traffic in force that day, so I thought there was a very good chance that he'd be stopped. I made a mental note that if he was pulled over I'd pull over and let the officer know that it'd been going on for miles. When I got to Allen I saw two officers with lights on giving citations, but sadly, neither was that SUV.

Archived