IGNORED

Source of Switched Power on '08 K12GT

Limecreek

With several new KGTs showing up I thought I'd start sharing some of things I am learning about the bike as I service it and wire it for accessories.

The best source of switched power is the front parking lights. Pull the left fairing and find the the harness that runs to the front of the bike. Pull the parking light bulb from the base to creat some slack. Cut the zip tie holding the harness to the bike and pull the wire down and away from the frame. Next, very carefully strip away the tape and expose the blue and white wire (the hot side of the parking light on the left side).

106757795.jpg

I used a Posi-tap connector because I could not get in there to solder. This is my sole source of switched power for 2 relays and my P-3 lights.

The front parking light is an excellent source for switched power.

Another way to access it is to remove either front turn signal. You can then access the parking light socket, as shown in the photo half way down this page:

http://www.p3lights.com/R1200RT.htm

The parking light wire is the blue/white one.

• 1 year later...

I have a few questions on this. I'm considering a Gt (have RT) now. I thought that with the Canbus, you couldn't tap into the electrical system other than the assecory port. Is this not true, what are the limits. I assume with the above solution, you have to drive a relay switch.

Phil I have an '08 GT and it is completely farkled with electrical accessories: Autocom, V1 Radar, Zumo 550 with XM, Hyper Lites, Givi V46 w/ LED's...

You just need to connect a Centech or other power distribution setup to the battery. I have a custom made rig from Eastern Beaver. A lot of guys use the Centech.

FWIW I rewired my acc socket directly to the battery bypassing the PITA BMW system.

• 2 weeks later...
Phil I have an '08 GT and it is completely farkled with electrical accessories: Autocom, V1 Radar, Zumo 550 with XM, Hyper Lites, Givi V46 w/ LED's...

You just need to connect a Centech or other power distribution setup to the battery. I have a custom made rig from Eastern Beaver. A lot of guys use the Centech.

FWIW I rewired my acc socket directly to the battery bypassing the PITA BMW system.

I have the exact same rig from Eastern Beaver. It's GREAT. My question however is related to CanBus sources. Example. The horn on the GT is wimpy compared to the RT. First, if you remove the existing horn, does the CanBus even know. 2) Can you attach a dual horn to the same power source of the orginial horn power line. I haven't checked out the electrical schmatics, but my point is, what are the limits of what you can and can't do. Can you use less power for a light circuit? Can you use a power signal,i.e. brake light, to power a relay?

I have the exact same rig from Eastern Beaver. It's GREAT. My question however is related to CanBus sources. Example. The horn on the GT is wimpy compared to the RT. First, if you remove the existing horn, does the CanBus even know. 2) Can you attach a dual horn to the same power source of the orginial horn power line. I haven't checked out the electrical schmatics, but my point is, what are the limits of what you can and can't do. Can you use less power for a light circuit? Can you use a power signal,i.e. brake light, to power a relay?

On my bike I use a couple of switched circuits to trigger relays (and my Hyper Lights) without any problems. On the '05 R12ST (also CAN BUS) I traded in a year ago, I removed the stock horn and installed the Stebel with no issues. Since the Stebel draws a lot of power, you'll need to connect it right to the battery via a relay. You'll use the stock horn's power to trigger the Stebel's relay. With Posi-Lock and Posi-Tap connectors, the task couldn't be easier.

I plan on re-installing the Stebel on the GT, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Horn install.

The CanBus throws a code for open horn, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Use the existing horn wire to trigger the low voltage side of the realy and run the power side of the relay to the horns. Use an external fuse block to route power from the battery to your accessories.

Cheers!

Horn install.

The CanBus throws a code for open horn, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Use the existing horn wire to trigger the low voltage side of the realy and run the power side of the relay to the horns. Use an external fuse block to route power from the battery to your accessories.

Cheers!

EXCELLENT. This is EXACTLY what I wanted to know.

Archived