IGNORED

Radio/CD Player

Lmar

With the cost of the Radio/CD unit as an option on a new bike being $1350.00 Canadian, I am assuming that most of you do not purchase that accessory as an option. What other solutions are there for a sound system on a R1200rt? :)

Ipod and autocom, and if you want fm just get the radio add on. Other than that XM/Sirus is pretty popular around these parts. I have the factory sound system on my RT and can without a doubt assure you that it is not worth the cash. It is not a bad radio/single cd player seeing as it is the same unit used in alot of the cars, but it is tinny and quite worthless on the highway. After 60 or so with a helmet on you realy cant hear the damn thing, and BMW neglected to include a aux input point or Ipod adapter for the darn thing. You can add these youself if you choose to by picking up some parts from your local BMW car dealer and installing them. If I would have been the one who ordered the bike that I own I would have skipped the radio and used the cash to install a really tricked out autocom with all the options possible and still had some cah left over for beer.

I installed a Pioneer automotive radio/CD in my RT. I also installed a Pioneer wired remote marine controller connected to it so I'd have easy access to the controls. Cost was less than $300 US.

if you really want a CD / Radio, there is always a big pile of portables at goodwill for a couple bucks a piece. I did that for years. You just have to be picky about your earbuds.

Spending that much dough on a CD player anymore is nuts. $1350 will buy you more ipods than you'll know what to do with.

CD player? Is that anything like and eight track? They disappeared about the same time didn't they?

I'm waiting until my current cell phone contract is up and then I'm getting an iphone. For about two hundred bucks you get a telephone, GPS, MP3 and video players with 8gigs of memory a camera, internet connection and 15,000 other applications.Go to iphone.com and click on the full demo. It take about a half hour to show you all the things it does.

I'm sure Apple is working on getting this thing implanted directly into your brain.

I'm sorry, but Autocom should be shaking in their boots.

AS others have said, I have the radio/CD on my R12RT, but rarely use it. I have an Autocom, with my iPod Nano connected to it and listen through in-ear "speakers".

I'm going to remove mine once I find a removal tool and stick with an MP3 player and some good earphones. There's a stock one on google search for 91 US dollars. Its a AM/FM cassette. Good luck

AS others have said, I have the radio/CD on my R12RT, but rarely use it...
Like Mark, my RT is "full zoot" with OEM radio, however I'm now using GPS/XM through AZ Al's custom earbuds on the road. Even so, bikes with BMW CD players have bragging rights during BMWST motel parking lot parties! :rofl:

Jeff

I like my OEM radio/cd. I sometimes run my iPod through it. I like having a weather band. And the antenna is just way cool.

I would not purchase one if I was buying again. Since the Garmin plays XM and MP3, why does anyone require a CD player?

I have used the radio just a few times, but not worth the money.

Mark

I got every option on my rt EXCEPT the radio. AM/FM & 1 CD, c'mon. Harleys have a better stereo with an audio jack and xm. I just use my iPod with a remote(radio shack or elsewhere) strapped to my handlebars(the transmitter goes on the bottom of my iPod. You never have a bad signal and the people in the cages next to you don't have to know you're listening to Barry Mannilow's greatest hits(unless you're singing along).

You can get a radio transmitter attachment for the iPod to broadcast to an unused frequency on the radio/CD, or you can install a Dension Icelink dock that attaches to the CD-changer connection on the back of the radio, which lets you navigate songs with the BMW handlebar controller like you'd control a CD and shows song titles on the BMW display.

For headphones, you can install a jack using the "rear" speaker connections on the back of the BMW radio/CD.

BMW also makes an AUX input adapter that attaches to the back of the radio, so you can mount a 3.5mm stereo jack for any input.

thanks to all of you that made suggestions. I order a connection harness from chicago bmw to connect my zumo audio out to the radio aux input. i will then install a headphone jack using the rear speaker outputs.

Archived