IGNORED

Where will the "Stimulous" money be spent?

Paul_Burkett

I have been listening to politicians talking about where some of the money is going to be spent, and a lot of what they talk about is the Pork projects. Some of the things listed may be good for the economy, like the government buying cars, that would help the big three, but a lot of the things that have been listed are not going to help stimulate economic growth. Here is what I have found so far, and mind you, some times the politicians gave conflicting numbers.

I am not saying that they are good or bad, this is what I have found, what have you heard?

1. $198 Million to Philipino WWII veterans, 2/3 do not live in the USA.

2. $32 Billion to research new forms of energy.

3. $650 Million for DTV boxes for those who will not buy there own converter.

4. $50 Million to the NEA. It will help Artists and Public Television groups.

5. $70 Million for a Smoking Cessation Program to help people quit smoking.

6. $75 Million for a super computer for the National Oceananic and Atmospheric Administration.

7. $150 Million for Honey Bee Insurance .

8. $350-400 Million for the prevention of STD's.

9. $5 Million for Neighborhood Stability Program (Acorn).

10. $? For "Trail repair" to repair trails for ATV's and snowmobiles and Dirt Bikes.

11. $58 Billion for Food Stamps and Un-Employment benefits.

12. $79 Billion to help bail out states that can not maintain their own budgets.

13. $6 Billion for University Building Projects.

14. $2.6 Billion to first time home buyers.

1. $198 Million to Philipino WWII veterans, 2/3 do not live in the USA.

On a per-person basis, that's alot for each of the recipients. How many are still living? Must be more expensive to live in the PI than I thought.

12. $79 Billion to help bail out states that can not maintain their own budgets.

While it will be welcomed, it's a bad precedent to set. States should figure out how to balance their budgets on their own. Of course, the Fed has owed Cali alot for their unfunded mandates, especially regarding immigration expenses.

On a per-person basis, that's alot for each of the recipients.

If they are US citizens they get $15,000.00, if they are not US citizens, they get $9,000.00

The Stimulus Bill can be found here: ReadTheStimulus.org

I urge each of you to read as much of the Bill as you can stomach. I find it completely unbelievable that any sane person, sincerely interested in the well-being of our great country could vote for this bloated monstrosity.

Read it for yourself, don't listen to what the media is saying [pro or con] about the Bill. Do your civic duty and read it, and then contact your Senators and contact your friends.

On a per-person basis, that's alot for each of the recipients.

If they are US citizens they get $15,000.00, if they are not US citizens, they get $9,000.00

The Stimulus Bill can be found here: ReadTheStimulus.org

I urge each of you to read as much of the Bill as you can stomach. I find it completely unbelievable that any sane person, sincerely interested in the well-being of our great country could vote for this bloated monstrosity.

Read it for yourself, don't listen to what the media is saying [pro or con] about the Bill. Do your civic duty and read it, and then contact your Senators and contact your friends.

Looking at some of the website sponsors, I find it hard to believe you make a statement like "don't listen to what the media is saying..."

Can you provide a direct link without "big media" involvment?

MB>

Looking at some of the website sponsors, I find it hard to believe you make a statement like "don't listen to what the media is saying..."

Can you provide a direct link without "big media" involvment?

The site has direct links to the .pdfs of the House and Senate versions. When I googled the stimulus bill, that site came up near the top and had convenient links to the actual bills. After reading the bills, I went back to the home page and saw all the supporting organizations you're talking about, and yes they're all conservative. My intention is not to get anyone to see this the way I see it. My intention is to get more people to read the actual document to judge for themselves.

House Version

Senate Version

What happened to the hundreds of millions of dollars that the tobacco industry paid in lawsuits to the states for education programs to help people quit? :P

Maybe it's time for a $5 per pack national tax with all the extra tax income going stop-smoking programs?

"Maybe it's time for a $5 per pack national tax with all the extra tax income going stop-smoking programs?"

Would be a great incentive for smuggling and illegal black market selling.

ShovelStrokeEd

Easy to make the smuggling and black market go away. Tax the manufacturers so that it is they that will have to raise the prices. I smoke and would still support this. Of course, the tax would need to be across the board on all tobacco products, not just cigarettes. Heck, right now, buying at retail in the south and transporting to NY can net you 100% profit if you don't get caught.

Maybe it's time for a $5 per pack national tax with all the extra tax income going stop-smoking programs?

Heck, don't stop there, how bout a $3000.00 tax on motorcycles.. That too will save lives and provide more income for motorcycle safety education...

Let's see... US Population about 300 Million (give or take). I say buy every man, woman and teenager a box of condoms and declare victory (and do it for less than $400 Million!)

10. $? For "Trail repair" to repair trails for ATV's and snowmobiles and Dirt Bikes.

Isn't the purpose of an ALL Terrain Vehicle to NOT require trails?

However, this is my favorite (directly from the House Bill):

For an additional amount for ‘‘Grants and Administration’’, $50,000,000, to be distributed in direct grants to fund arts projects and activities which preserve jobs in the non-profit arts sector threatened by declines in philanthropic and other support during the current economic downturn.

So... philanthropists aren't donating as much money to the artists 'during the current economic downturn' so we as taxpayers are going to make up the difference by giving them $50M.

I was looking forward to the new 'Change' we're getting, weren't you?

Mike O

Harry_Wilshusen

What happened to the hundreds of millions of dollars that the tobacco industry paid in lawsuits to the states for education programs to help people quit? :P

That was a State boondoggle. This is a Federal boondoggle.

Harry

Harry_Wilshusen

I know it's moot now but Sec 1112 of the house version is a little unsettling.

"None of the funds provided by this Act may be made

4 available to the State of Illinois, or any agency of the

5 State, unless (1) the use of such funds by the State is

6 approved in legislation enacted by the State after the date

7 of the enactment of this Act, or (2) Rod R. Blagojevich

8 no longer holds the office of Governor of the State of Illi9

nois. The preceding sentence shall not apply to any funds

10 provided directly to a unit of local government (1) by a

11 Federal department or agency, or (2) by an established..."

Harry

Why would you do that? It's a legal product that people have to choose to use. We should ban the funding for all the cessation programs. It's just dumb.

Or, would you prefer we put a $5 a gallon tax on gasoline for motorcycles. They're dangerous too...

Why not just ban smokers from public health care? That would save us some money right there, and may provide a powerful incentive to quit.

Why? It's simple... The largest numbers of smokers are those in the lower income ranges of the country. (link)

So, are you looking to penalize the downtrodden (for their own benefit of course) or someone else?

Paul, these amounts will be taken care of as soon as Obama's cabinet appointees pay their back taxes.

This country is bankrupt in a number of ways..

I think it's worse than that, Billy. At least bankruptcy offers a level of protection as well as limits on spending and a plan to haul one's ass out of it.

John Ranalletta

I think it's worse than that, Billy. At least bankruptcy offers a level of protection as well as limits on spending and a plan to haul one's ass out of it.

Hey, I got slapped for less... :dopeslap:

Let's see... US Population about 300 Million (give or take). I say buy every man, woman and teenager a box of condoms and declare victory (and do it for less than $400 Million!)

For an additional amount for ‘‘Grants and Administration’’, $50,000,000, to be distributed in direct grants to fund arts projects and activities which preserve jobs in the non-profit arts sector threatened by declines in philanthropic and other support during the current economic downturn.

So... philanthropists aren't donating as much money to the artists 'during the current economic downturn' so we as taxpayers are going to make up the difference by giving them $50M.

Mike O

Oh we got change- can you spare a dime?

Bob

Mike O

Oh we got change- can you spare a dime?

Bob

Looks like Wells Fargo may double down...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bailedout-Wells-Fargo-plans-apf-14240269.html

Archived