IGNORED

Electrical questions

motorman587

John, more than likely Alternator induced whine.. Try directly to the battery & if that cures the whine (in a lot of cases it will) just power from there & use a relay,, then use the accessory circuit as a relay control circuit..

You might also call J&M as they have probably dealt with this issue many times & have a good work around for you.. Maybe a filter,, maybe an isolated lead,, maybe a grounding function.. Just call or E-Mail & ask them..

Twisty

Your problem is caused by a ground loop.... You probably have two different ground points for your devices on the bike?

I know Autocom sells some isolating leads for this purpose. Check with the intercom vendor and see what they recommmend.

You may also be able to fix it by lifting the power ground on the GPS and let it have audio and power ground via the intercom.

Good Luck!

Which J&M System did you install? I have been thinking about theirs with that integrates my Zumo 550, and adds the CB. I know their stuff is pretty good I just havent found anyone else that has it on an RT.

You didn't mention whether you are running all the audio thru an autocom or not. How does the audio from the J&M and the GPS get "mixed" and sent to your headset?

J&M has a inline jack that plugs into the GPS. If you are using the IPOD just take the jack out of the GPS and plug it in the IPOD. When the GPS is on it's on battery no buzz. Plug in the power from the bike into the GPS buzz. No buzz from the IPOD, which is also just battey. I got the inline filter on order. It that does not work I will hot wire it to the battery.

J&M has a inline jack that plugs into the GPS. If you are using the IPOD just take the jack out of the GPS and plug it in the IPOD. When the GPS is on it's on battery no buzz. Plug in the power from the bike into the GPS buzz. No buzz from the IPOD, which is also just battey. I got the inline filter on order. It that does not work I will hot wire it to the battery.

John, it really sounds like a ground loop to me. Does it make the noise even when the motor is not running (but the igniton is on), or only when the motor is running? If you hear it with the motor not running, then its got to be ground loop.

Crutchfield Electronics - Crutchfield.com - offers a groundloop isolator for 17.99 plus 6.99 shipping. I have one on my GS1200 and it works. I have just ordered another one for my RT1200. I believe it is cheaper than the same type of device offerd by some others.

Archived