IGNORED

IABS Question

Dave Faria

I own a 2004RT and 99% of the time residual breaking without power assist or ABS would probably be fine. Does anyone on the list have electrical/electronic schematics that would show if I could disable the IABS and power assist but, retain the brake light/running light. I would like to be able to switch the IABS on during inclement weather or bad road conditions.

Thanks List

Dave Faria

Austin, Tx

Dave,

Have you ever actually ridden your bike with the iABS inoperative?

You will find that the brakes are VERY hard to apply and the difference between no ABS/Power Assist and the 'full monte'quite frightening :eek:!

Yeah I have. It depends on the year of manufacture of the bike. Residual braking on my 04RT is probably better than your 03RT. On my 04 the front brake seems to have plenty of capability. On the rear I can't lock up the tire but, it seems adequate. From what I've been told the rear brake master cylinder was changed to a larger diameter piston on my year model to make it more capable in the "residual braking" mode. I'm just guessing that you have the smaller piston. Anyway shutting the IABS off is just something I'm exploring. I think I'm going to lose the rear running light and brake light if I turn power off to the IABS and I'm not going to BY-pass the unit unless it fails. I'm retired and am just "playing with" or "tweaking" the bike. I'm more of a cruiser type than a twisties type rider so the exacting capability of the bike is not needed all the time.

Thanks for your thoughts

Dave faria

Austin, tx

Dave,

Congrats on being retired. :thumbsup:

I certainly hope that you know when you are going to need

the "exacting capability" on a ride.

I'm still trying to figure that out so I can take the car that day.

Best wishes.

Archived