Garmin StreetPilot 7200 with a 7" screen on a bike?

SWB

I put this on another GPS related thread, but since I'm thinking of making a purchase today, I decided to toss this into it's own thread.

Has anyone tried to use a Garmin 7200 on a motorcycle? I love the idea of a 7" display for my fading eyes, as well as integrated XM radio, but wonder if it would fit on a bike, or be readable (e.g. vibration). I'd trade off the plastic bag-waterproofing for a larger screen if it would fit the bike (R1200RT). The ZUMO looks great, but the screen is smaller and it appears to be $100's more than the Streetpilot 7200.

Here's one review for reference.

Thanks all,

Scott

Would be great for the RV but sounds like it would not be weather proof/resistant with a speaker in the back. The comparison tool states "NA" on the Waterproof standard and baggies have not protected my radar detectors.

Bill

SWB, in my opinion, that unit may be too large physically to mount on your RT and still see the speedo, tach, computer screen, etc. I also have fading eyes and bought the Garmin Nuvi 200w which has a 4.3" screen that is really bright. By bright I mean that I can see it well with the sun behind me and with sunglasses on. A huge but dim screen will not help. The Lowrance 500c 5" screen is a good example -- a large screen but dim and unreadable in sunlight.

I saw the 200w for about $130 delivered on Techbargins.com last week. I think West Marine was offering it. The "w" means wide or the 4.3" screen. Any of the nuvi models with the "w" will have this large bright screen. The 200w is a very basic model but there are others in the Nuvi line that have all the bells and whistles. Garmin refurbished is OK as it has the same warranty as new. The 200w is not waterproof. I carry a plastic bag and a long twist tie or just pull over and take it off and put it in the inner pocket of my raincoat.

To see the Nuvi better I have it mounted to a plate that is attached to the back side of my tank bag. It is close to my eyes but does not obscure the dials on the dashboard. It is powered with its car charger plugged into my electrified tank bag. Works well for me! Actually, the screen might appear to be as big on my tank bag as a larger screen mounted far away on the dash.

Some options to consider....

Been looking on Woot, have you? The 7200 is huge for a bike and besides, it is not waterproof. Get a Zumo.

Agreed on the concept, but not the price.

Good point on the size (also made by others). Space in that "headspace" area is at a premium. That's an argument "for" the integrated tool (e.g. Zumo) that has XM, NAVTEQ NavTraffic, bluetooth, and of course solid GPS.

As I usually do, I charge in and do lots of research, come to quick purchase decision, then "punt" and sleep on it for about 30 days, and then do all that work over again. :dopeslap:

SWB, in my opinion, that unit may be too large physically to mount on your RT and still see the speedo, tach, computer screen, etc. I also have fading eyes and bought the Garmin Nuvi 200w which has a 4.3" screen that is really bright. By bright I mean that I can see it well with the sun behind me and with sunglasses on. A huge but dim screen will not help. The Lowrance 500c 5" screen is a good example -- a large screen but dim and unreadable in sunlight.

I saw the 200w for about $130 delivered on Techbargins.com last week. I think West Marine was offering it. The "w" means wide or the 4.3" screen. Any of the nuvi models with the "w" will have this large bright screen. The 200w is a very basic model but there are others in the Nuvi line that have all the bells and whistles. Garmin refurbished is OK as it has the same warranty as new. The 200w is not waterproof. I carry a plastic bag and a long twist tie or just pull over and take it off and put it in the inner pocket of my raincoat.

To see the Nuvi better I have it mounted to a plate that is attached to the back side of my tank bag. It is close to my eyes but does not obscure the dials on the dashboard. It is powered with its car charger plugged into my electrified tank bag. Works well for me! Actually, the screen might appear to be as big on my tank bag as a larger screen mounted far away on the dash.

Some options to consider....

My fallback plan "B" was getting a Garman NUVI (760 with bluetooth, I think was the my most recent "decision") and a separate mobile XM Radio. Again, water protection is a consideration, but less so in sunny California. :grin: I think I could manage that task; worst case is I pull over and pop it into my tank bag, inside a zip lock bag with fresh desiccant.

I can get a Nuvi 760 for about $220 delivered, and a XM Radio for about $100. The screen brightness is second only to connectivity as an issue (i.e. a problem with either effectively renders the GPS useless). Of course, other issues still remain, e.g. integration, survivability, sound (i.e. bluetooth), and license fees. I would wager that it won't be long until the satellite radio, radio navigation, and GPS service will be delivered under a single license fee. Would be a shame to load up with 2 or 3 separately licensed devices only to have XM come out with in integrated license.

I need to research and learn more. I've been thinking about this for about two years now already, a few more weeks or months won't kill me.

Thanks to all for the feedback. Maybe the 7" screen will work on a Harley or GW, but I think I'll need the extra 3" of space up front for something other than a GPS screen.

Zumo's, by the way, do look like the best "ticket" at the moment for a moto rider.

- Scott

Scott, at just a little over $200 delivered, the Nuvi 760 looks like a bargain for the features! Note that the bluetooth is for the cell phone, not to hear mp3's.

Although the screen looks inviting, if you read the specs there are some "downs" to consider:

1) No battery--bike powered only

2) Not waterproof

3) No high-sensitivity receiver (major down)--all the other alts have the hi-sens.

4) Weight 1.4 lbs. vs 9.5 oz for Zumo--you will need a VERY sturdy mount to keep this one from ripping itself loose when hitting potholes, etc.

If garmin has cut more corners on this model, it may also have a slower processor making screen redraw times very slow. Can you download routes created in Mapsource--can't tell? The screen appears to be the same resolution in pixels as the 660 but MUCH larger, meaning larger pixels--so the image wil not look as sharp. Maybe even pixellated. Better get one and play with it before spending that kinda $$!

Archived