IGNORED

Speakers for My R1100RT

bmwdenk

The sound quality is not very good, has anyone put anything other then water prove speakers in their bike. I get good reception from the radio, I just don't like how the speakers sound at higher speeds. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Hi Tim,

I really don't think that you'll ever get decent sound at speed out of speakers that small (or any speakers for that matter.) Good isolating earphones such as the Etymotic ER6i (off the shelf) or the Arizona Al (custom) units are the way to go for good sound quality and hearing protection.

The sound quality is not very good, has anyone put anything other then water prove speakers in their bike. I get good reception from the radio, I just don't like how the speakers sound at higher speeds. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Fit headphones.

Good quality all the time, cut out harmful road noise.

I make that a win,win (unless you play your music too loud)!

Andy

Again, use headphones. It's a waste of time and money to try to make that radio and speakers sound halfway decent as speeds greater than 40-50 mph.

Remove it completely and you've got a really handy (and huge) locking glove box for odd and sundry items. That's what I did and I would never go back.

You'll likely never be happy with the factory setup Tim. The speakers are only 4" and operating in a free air environment (meaning an open back). The receiver is also a piece of junk. You have options though, the most common suggestion from the anti radio guys is to remove the radio and make use of the remaining handy storage bin. The Etymotic headphones are indeed wonderful, but require a source unit with a 3.5mm auxillary or headphone output. They are designed with ipods and mp3 players in mind. I use them with my Chocolate 3 cell phone which has the 3.5mm output.

Another option is to replace the factory receiver with a quality unit that has a higher output. The speakers also should be replaced, but they will not work optimally if the speakers do not have an enclosure.

Personally, I love speakers on a motorcycle and with some effort have made it work on my RT. I removed the factory radio and installed a Clarion M455 Marine head unit with a remote control. I used the auxilary RCA inputs on the radio to connect a 3.5mm adapter to use my cell phones music memory. I replaced the factory speakers with high output Kicker 4", ran them through some bass blocker capacitors so these little guys are not trying to reproduce bass that they were not designed for, and enclosed them in some bakerlite speaker housings I had lying around. The ductwork from the oil coolant radiator to the side vents needs to be removed to allow for these. No, she wont overheat or anything !

With this setup, I can easily hear the music at freeway speeds, something you'll not do with the factory system I'm afraid.

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

I replaced the factory speakers with high output Kicker 4", ran them through some bass blocker capacitors so these little guys are not trying to reproduce bass that they were not designed for,

Do you know the size of the capacitors you used to block the base frequencies? Did you run the signal through them, or did you tie the caps to ground?

I have an Ipaq that I use for GPS that I'm thinking about just going with some good earphones and I like the idea of having move storage room. I don't have the radio tool though so I'm not sure how I'm going to get it out.

Steve, I used Bennic mylar non polarized capacitors 280mfd,100W.

This means of crossover is called a first order high pass.

You connect one in series to the positive lead wire as close to the speaker as possible. The 280mfd value will cut bass below 140Hz from getting to a 4ohm speaker, which is about right for a small 4" speaker such as we are talking about. The speaker can be driven a lot harder within its designed range if it doesn't have to try and produce bass.

You can plug values into a chart here if you need a different result.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp#ccc

Thanks Kiwi. I prefer to run an amp and speakers, and this will help. Now I've got another winter project! (after finishing making a heated vest). 6 months of winter, one has to have projects!

Dave in Doodah

If you go with sound isolating earphones, I'd also check these out:

Shure link

I have an older pair of E2C's and they are awesome. I think you can find E2c's or E3C's at Amazon, etc, for much cheaper than the SE series. And they really sound, fit great.

first that all forget us a cd or stereo...

i place a mp3 player on my bike ... is too easly ...

pay atention

get a boster or amplifer sound ... like a 150 watts power

grouned in a hide place

and conect the current in to the swiths using a fuse 10 amps

in the male head phones cut it and just leave a small cord to conect any mp3 player ...

in to the other side of the cord find the grouned lines and ground it ... is it posible one line directly to the amp and another one grounde in to the farme.

check the amp that you get and find the high current input and just plug the positive cords that you got from the male headphones cord ... remember only the positives...

then you can conect you speakers to the out of the amp ...

this going to give you high quality sound...

about speakers ...

take them out an clean wiht a soft solvent like alchohol

and get a bottel of spray of transparent ...

please your speakers directly down to the sun an wait for heat it up ... about 30 min at noon ... spray them with the transparent spray tring dont miss ( olvidar ) any place infron an behaind it ...

i will turn your speakers in a WP spreakers and it will give you a better sound (terrible and a low bass ) if you prefer remplace it with a forgothen small square from a old home teather speakers

or get a new ones made for sony home theater ... them made an small speaker with a high high quality

i expend some time discover how to head music with out a car stereo and i foud it ...

if you have a questions or want more details or pics of my instalation dont hesitate in mail me.

sincerly

felipe

Archived