IGNORED

Milage question for the masses.

Doug 'zarly' Walker

Doug 'zarly' Walker

Is 58 517 miles a lot for a 2005 1200RT? I would think it still has lots of life left, am I right? What does the group think? Just asking because there is an 05 RT for sale at a price I can afford, but the miles are ... well, I guess they are a little high. Anyway, just wanted to hear some opinions.

Thanks

Doug.

On this board, 58k isn't a lot of miles for some folks :grin:

Seriously, does it have a GOOD dealer/owner service history? Commuter use? Long distance touring? What is your price pain threshhold as you may well be better off looking for a 2003/2004 with lower miles on it. Check on the BMW MOA board or the IBMWR board.

Is 58 517 miles a lot for a 2005 1200RT?

maybe in a year, but not for a BMW per se. As long as the normal maintenance was done I wouldn't have any reason not to consider a bike with similar mileage.

RPG

My general take on buying a used bike:

Keep a couple of thousand in the bank to spend on unexpected repairs. That way you won't get too upset if something happens and maybe even realize that you're still ahead of buying a new bike. If nothing happens in a year or two, spend some of the money on farkles and be even happier. It's all good.

Depending on the condition and the care the bike has received, that mileage is low, IMHO. I am about to click over 99k and still going strong. :thumbsup:

I know everyone enjoys saying how many miles Beemer riders put on their bikes and it's true,especially on this forum; however, 54K is a lot of miles for a 2005 bike unless the price is very low. I would think in this market you could find lower mileage bikes with good service records available.

Generally, given good maintenance, and appropriate repairs as needed, these bikes don't wear out from mileage. Lack of use and crappy maintenance does more damage than riding them. JMHO. YMMV. Good Luck!

Doug 'zarly' Walker

Thanks for the replies everyone. Well, the bike is in Canada and it's 9,999 CDN dollars. So it jumped off the page at me until I saw the miles.

I think I would prefer a higher mileage BMW, this is only 14K miles a year. The bike should be well broken in and these should be plenty of highway miles. Shocks and bearings may need replacing. The ABS servo may need replacing and that could be pricey.

Is there a significant expense at the 60,000 mile service interval that the owner is hoping to avoid?? Some services on these servoed BMW's get pricey.

With those miles and age importing it ought to be easier also.

Miles or kilometers?

It is still only about 1200 miles/month, 300/week, 45 miles/day.

No big deal if maintenance has been done.

Best wishes.

Looking at it the other way. If I was going to buy a bike with 60,000 +/- miles on it, I would rather have one like this that accumulated them over a relatively short period of time. Rather than an older one with the same mileage. A low mileage bike might have spent long periods of sitting unridden, either in the winters or during a period when one of the owners was not riding. As others have said, sitting idle is harder on a bike than riding. Also a consistently used bike like this is unlikely to have been abused by a hot rodder. That crowd probably doesn't ride BMW to start with, but they also don't rack up the miles. That's my stereotype anyway.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I agree that if it were maintained properly and the price was right, I would buy it, no worries. The pricing is important as there are probably lower mileage bikes avaialble.

:..Is 58 517 miles a lot for a 2005 1200RT?...."

Well, lots of miles but it indicates the bike spent a lot of time on the highways and probably NOT in the shop.

If you think it is high, it is high. You won't have an original thought, it will be high to potential buyers and may hinder resale. If you want to ride, the bike should be solid for a substantial number of miles.

Archived