IGNORED

2009 Corvette at Nurburgring.

Paul_Burkett

Francois_Dumas

He's fast !! Great video, and tremendous nostalgia. I raced there in the early 70's when it was still the world's best track and before they killed the romance :)

Hmmmm..... I think our track times were somewhere around 13 minutes in our old BMW2002 :dopeslap:

But he could've done it even faster. Some very trashy turns, one unexpected slide at least (and he knew it!) and a few curb stones too many. If he'd do a really smooth round, I wonder what the time would be??

Mind you, this is a shortened version of only 20 km's.... in our time it was over 30 km !

And Sabine Schmitz did it in 10 minutes in a Ford Transit Van :dopeslap:

Sign me up!!

4 things that were just wonderful to see, for me -

1. compression through the dips,

2. float over the rises,

3. his hand raise when he missed a mark,

4. great examples of throttle steer.

Fun!!!! When do we go?

Francois, I know Jim as we used to work in the same engineering department.. He is a fairly decent driver but we have some faster in our engineering department.. As far as being smooth,, he really is,, problem is we only test on the Ring a few times a year & as you know (sounds like you have driven/ridden it) there are a LOT of turns to memorize on that track.. If we used it more you would be surprised how smooth Jim is.. Years ago we used to test on the south loop,, do you go back that far?.

Now,, we still do some testing over there but do a lot of brake & tire testing on open tracks back here in the US because of the cost of buying closed track time on the Ring & the logistics of travel with support for test vehicles..

I haven’t been over there to test in a few years but still have a National A license..

Twisty

Francois_Dumas

I agree, you have to drive there every week..... that's why the locals always beat us hands down ! We only went for a few races, early 70's. The Sudschleife (?) was still attached, making it more than 30 km's. I remember when I was a kid my dad took me to look at 24 hour races..... the little Mini Coopers did it in 16 minutes back then !

Francois, Sudschleife – “South loop”,, I think you nailed it..

I still have the 49 8000 302 112 emergency number in my cell phone...I think you guys use a different number on your Euro Cell’s don't you?

Twisty

Sign me up!!

4 things that were just wonderful to see, for me -

1. compression through the dips,

2. float over the rises,

3. his hand raise when he missed a mark,

4. great examples of throttle steer.

Fun!!!! When do we go?

Ditto on all 4 above. Every time he got light over the rise I could literally feel myself in the seat waiting (and hoping) for the front to bite. Terrific video.

To those of you who have raced here, my hat is off to you. I thought The Glen was a bear to memorize!

I really enjoyed hearing him accelerate coming out of the corners even though he was still sliding and you could hear the tires breaking loose. That to me is good control and confidence that even though what seems to be a time to slow down to regain total control, he knew accelerating was the right thing to do and then did it.

Francois_Dumas
Francois, Sudschleife – “South loop”,, I think you nailed it..

I still have the 49 8000 302 112 emergency number in my cell phone...I think you guys use a different number on your Euro Cell’s don't you?

Twisty

It is just 112 in most countries, but not everywhere (of course, this is 'Europe' :rofl: )

Francois_Dumas

Actually

is what it looked like in my time (or just before).

I was wrong about the distance.... the 'long Ring' was there when I was a kid and spectator. When driving myself it had already been shortened, although nowhere near to the farce the 'Ring' is today !

Hubert Hahne was my (local) hero. I also bought a book from him 'Fast around the Ring'. It still is on my bookshelf !

Archived