IGNORED

Autocom Issues and answers

steve-o

What is the story with Autocom? After many months of putting together and evaluating a system for our unique application, we were ready to order the merchandise. We were dealing with TopGear, which is no longer in business. After three direct e-mails to Autocom in England, and no replies, I assume they are out of business also. Does anyone know a manufacturer that is still in business and producing systems similiar to the Autocom?

Autocom UK is still strong: they've been prompt and helpful in communications, and my system (now that I have the proper leads) works great. My understanding is that TopGear is no longer handling AutoCom products and the UK folks don't have a new distributor yet. I believe you will get a response from the UK folks, and that they will help you get what you need. I feel it's worth another try. Steve-o

Does anyone know a manufacturer that is still in business and producing systems similiar to the Autocom?

Autocom seems to have a pretty good lock on the BMW market, but I use Starcom and feel the new unit in particular a better value and better in certain respects than the autocom. If you can't get the response you want from Autocom, you might look at the Starcom unit.

Wayne

What is the story with Autocom? After many months of putting together and evaluating a system for our unique application, we were ready to order the merchandise. We were dealing with TopGear, which is no longer in business. After three direct e-mails to Autocom in England, and no replies, I assume they are out of business also. Does anyone know a manufacturer that is still in business and producing systems similiar to the Autocom?

Are you using the e-mail address enquiries@autocom.co.uk . Richard Wallace or a colleague normally answers this pretty promptly.

Does anyone know a manufacturer that is still in business and producing systems similiar to the Autocom?

Autocom seems to have a pretty good lock on the BMW market, but I use Starcom and feel the new unit in particular a better value and better in certain respects than the autocom. If you can't get the response you want from Autocom, you might look at the Starcom unit.

Wayne

Curious, have you ever had an Autocom, or just the Starcom?

I'm wondering how people who have gone from Autocom -> Starcom compare the units. There are few things about the Starcom Digital I really like, but I'm worried if I migrate from my Autocom AVI-Pro I may end up disatisfied with the audio quality.

I've never owned an autocom, only tested one. I liked the starcom a bit better and now have two because I broke one cable and sent it in for repair, but had a trip planned, so I purchased the digital version. I leave that version on my RT and use the older version on my Buell.

I didn't make the switch, so I can't directly answer your questions. Sorry.

Wayne

I have the Autocom and it works fine. It does take some set up attention to get all the components properly attached and functioning. I still need to do some work on the CB hook up,as it picks up engine noise. Althogh I only use it with the Harly and Goldwing riders for bike to bike communication.

I did test the Starcom unit at last years bike show. I have to say it seemed like a great unit. I don't know the technical side but the Starcom is continuously activated and the Autocom is voice activated. The Starcom seemed easier to use. Again, I didn't test it on ride only at the show.

I don't know the technical side but the Starcom is continuously activated and the Autocom is voice activated.

The Autocom has an electric microphone (hence the difficuly of powering it WIRELESSLY for lengthly periods of time without large batteries at the helmet end) that turns off completely when not in use. In this way an absolute minimum of ambient noise is picked up - it's remains a very quiet set-up up to very high speeds, say 160 mph. I believe every other unit on the market uses a mechanical mike that remains open continuously - it's more noisy, but possibly does not bother many folks.

Thanks for all the great replies. I e-mailed Autocom 3 times @ enquiries@autocom.co.uk Each time I got an automated reply stating that they received my e-mail and would bet back to me. I even included two different phone numbers where they could contact me in case the e-mail system didn't work. I was in the process of becoming a dealer for Autocom, not just a one time customer. I went through the dealer process with TopGear and was accepted, only to be told that they were no longer handling the Autocom line. Dan at TopGear wouldn't be specific as to why they disolved their business arraingment. Much time was spent in evaluating the Autocom system, so I would like to use it. Problem is, can I rely on a company for technical support and service when I can't even get a reply for a sales/dealership inquiry? Steve Mullen @ S&P Mullen Enterprises sent me a link to a site (www.mobileradiocommunications.net) thinking that race car radios might better fit our needs. I haven't checked out Starcom but I will do so today. Again, thanks for the feedback, and any other info would be greatly appreciated.

We have received a lot of enquiries from USA distributors, dealers and various individuals regarding future USA distribution and retail interests. This is a complex matter that we want to get right for the long-term, and so we do not intent rushing.

We may end up with one large national, or several regional distributors/dealers depending on on-going enquiries and negotiations.

The fact is that we are temporarily in limo while we finalise various important information/USA pricing etc, however our new products are in production, but we are now just waiting for type approval certification documentation to come through before we can print the labels and ship.

We appreciate all such enquires that are received and do our utmost to respond without delays, so please accept my apologies if we have not replied or if it was not as quickly as you may have expected. As far as I am aware I have responded to all emails that have been forwarded to me from our enquiries department, but unfortunately as you do not provide any details (not even a first name) I cannot cross reference this matter to any emails we have received/answered.

Perhaps you would PM me via this forum?

Autocom UK Tom

You mean simple as in riding an air/oil-cooled opposed twin with electronic fuel injection, radiator, electronic engine management, damping-adjustable suspension, rear shock with hydraulic preload, paralever rear swingarm, telelever front suspension, electrically adjustable windshield, anti-lock brakes, power(servo)-assisted brakes, hydraulic clutch actuation, integrated turn signals, tubeless tires mounted on magnesium-alloy wheels, heated grips, cruise control, Anti-Skid Control, computerized gas mileage/tank volume/remaining range, electronic oil level sensors, electronic fuel level sensors, an in-tank electronic fuel pump, adjustable seat height, retractable centerstand handle, injection-molded ABS plastic bodywork, in-dash ventilation, and a centralized computer hook-up plug for easier servicing and fault-code reading?

I seriously couldn't say. :grin:

Archived