IGNORED

More Sad Member News

Les is more

I just got a message from Laura saying that daveinatlanta has passed away. She forwarded this to me.

I hope that some of you have pictures handy to post.

Our deepest sympathy goes to his family and friends.

David Coon

COON, David David Allen Coon, age 64 of Marietta, GA succumbed after a brief and courageous battle with cancer on January 11, 2009. Dave is survived by his daughter and son that he adored Allison Elizabeth Coon and Brandon David Coon; by their Mom and beloved former wife, Debra Coon; and by his best friend and devoted wife Elisa Coon. Dave was preceded in death by his father, Gerald E. Coon and his mother, Virginia Linger Coon. Dave is survived by an extended family including Donna and Gene Seilberger of Fort Meyers, Florida and their daughters Beth and Karie; Thomas and Lorrie Perry of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and their daughter Angela Deskins; Dave's two stepdaughters Shannon Fullen and Amanda Hilleary of Atlanta, Georgia; and numerous aunts, uncles, cousins and step-grandchildren. Dave courageously defended his country for three years as a Captain in the U.S. Army. He served in Vietnam during 1968 and 1969 where he was decorated nine times including with the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star Medal and the Air Medal for his meritorious and heroic service. Following military service, Dave joined the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company (now Verizon) and was later transferred to BellSouth Telecommunications in Atlanta where he held a number of different Engineering and Finance positions. Based on his extensive business knowledge, Dave was chosen to serve as the company's technical expert and witness before the FCC and the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C, and before the Public Service Commissions in the Southeast U.S. Dave is a graduate of George Washington University, Washington, D.C. (Master of Engineering Administration) and Ohio University, Athens, Ohio (Bachelor of Science - Civil Engineering). Dave was also a Certified Management Accountant and most recently was pursuing Certified Financial Planner designation. Following his retirement from BellSouth in 2005, Dave was able to travel, spend time with his family and to pursue his hobbies. Dave was an avid cross-country motorcyclist, a member of the BMW Motorcycle Club and a gifted bass guitar player. Dave was a member of Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church, faithfully serving with his musical talents in the Church's contemporary worship service. The family will receive relatives and friends at 3:00 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2009, at Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church (471 Mount Vernon Highway, Sandy Springs, Georgia 30328). A celebration of Dave's life will follow at 4:00 PM in Mount Vernon's Sanctuary. Arrangements are being handled by H. M. Patterson and Son Funeral Home. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations be made in Dave's honor to Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital, 501 Saint Jude Place, Memphis, Tennessee 38105. DAVID ALLEN COON

This is sad news.

However, I do find joy in the kind of life he chose to live. He loved and was loved by many.

Way to go, Dave :thumbsup:

Sadness indeed. I'm glad to read Dave was a man of faith who left his mark while amongst us. I read of his love of cross country riding which all the more reminds me not to delay things we long for that are within our reasonable grasp. UnRally 2009, here I come!

RIP Dave, knowing you lived the good life and that you clearly made a difference...

Jeff

I've only had the chance to converse with Dave via our little cyber universe here. His smiling avatar was always a pleasant sight to me.

My condolences to his wife and family.

I met Dave at last year's motorcycle show--in Atlanta. A bunch of us went out for lunch. Sorry to hear about this. Condolences to his family...

Slyder

vERY sAD...I did not know him - nor had ever met him - but by the indication he was a good man to get to know and one that would be a true friend.

My condolences to the family and friends and I will add his soul to my daily Mass list.

So very sad indeed!

Godspeed and condolences to his family in case they read this board, he was loved here.

Dave was a friend and riding companion for the past two and a half years. We met on this board and shared thousands of miles on the roads of GA, TN, VA, WV and NC. We learned to maintain our RT's together.

When an opportunity to ride presented itself, my first call was to Dave and he was almost always ready to ride. I think his years flying purged any dare-devil needs. He was a safe and courteous rider.

Dave was fortunate in his family and friends and his memorial was attended a couple of hundred old and new friends including a couple of dozen BMWMOGA members in appropriate riding gear. Dave was the clubs treasurer and a reliable member who gave freely of his time and energy. This year's Georgia Mountain Rally will be dedicated to Dave.

I've posted some photos from a few of our rides. Dave was a good man and I was fortunate to know him.

Sorry to hear this. I met Dave at Chris K's tech day a couple of years ago...real nice fella and pleasant to chat with.

Condolences to his family

Dave in Doodah

It's obvious from these sentiments that we lost a good man. Thanks, Dave, for making such a fine impression on the people in your life, and for your service to our country. Godspeed.

What a sad thing to hear, I met Dave in Fayettville at the UN as many of us did, and although it was a short visit, talking to him was so easy and comfortable, like talking to an old friend.

My condolences are to his friends and family, they are the ones feeling the pain and sadness.

Archived