IGNORED

Is there a chart or list of tires ranked by hardness?

Stoneman

I have searched back and read many posts of peoples opinions of the best tire. That question will never have a definitive answer. I would like to know if there is a list of tires ranked by hardness/softness of compound that would help me decide which tire to choose according to grip or longevity. Can anyone help me?

Thanks. 12 inches of snow here in Indianapolis. All I can do is think about riding and look at this forum!

Ya gotta feel kind sorry for the snowed in riders...

If the Devil finds a Man idle, he'll set him at work (posting tire threads) (J. Kelly, "Scottish Proverbs," 1721) with a little bit from me. :grin:

Yea, I'm bored also, with a foot of snow outside and a big storm hitting us tonight. Let's start a thread about tires, only instead of arguing about nitrogen, let put motor oil in them. I wonder what type of motor oil would give the best ride and the longest life? So, how hot does a tire get, anyway, at 60 mph and 72*F with 38/42 PSI of 20/50 full syn inside...

You are right, Tony, the devil and idle hands and all that stuff!

Just to reply to the original question, there is no list on hardness of tire compounds. In general, the more a tire is designed for aggressive riding and high speed the softer it gets.

Yeeha! Stephen
Just to reply to the original question, there is no list on hardness of tire compounds. In general, the more a tire is designed for aggressive riding and high speed the softer it gets.

And, a tire designed for mileage may not be that much harder, but just has more rubber and deeper treads than a sportier tire. Have you seen how deep the tread grooves are on an ME 880!?

Yeeha! Stephen
Yea, I'm bored also, with a foot of snow outside and a big storm hitting us tonight. Let's start a thread about tires, only instead of arguing about nitrogen, let put motor oil in them. I wonder what type of motor oil would give the best ride and the longest life? So, how hot does a tire get, anyway, at 60 mph and 72*F with 38/42 PSI of 20/50 full syn inside...

Wouldn't the inertia of spinning 50 weight oil make for longer stopping distances? And wear out your pads sooner? And, if you used shock absorber oil, you could still use nitrogen... and put preload adjusters onto the valve stems...

No snow, but we just had a 2-day Ice Storm :D

Everyone knows that the ME 880 is the only tire you should use. Don't ride carefully for the first 100 miles, cane it!!!. Oil? Definitely synthetic.

Before following any of my advice, I am an admitted idiot.

Linz :)

...........and anyway a lot of modern tyres are dual compound with a harder section in the middle and softer rubber at the edges.........and anyway the list would be out of date almost as soon as it was printed the way new tyres keep appearing.

In my limited experience a Metzler ME 880 will give you the most miles but will not stick as well as a Z6 which do to the lack of groves in the center make it hard to monitor how long it will last.

My first Z6 lasted about 5k & my last one lasted almost 13k so tire lifespan is subjective to conditions.

Right now I'm running a Dunlop RoadSmart (duel compound) & it looks like it will match or top the Z6 in endurance.

Not sure which is stickier.

... My first Z6 lasted about 5k & my last one lasted almost 13k so tire lifespan is subjective to conditions.

As you can see, I think the original poster has to realise this is a question that cannot be answered by mere forum users.

I believe the only way to get a vaguely useful answer would be to have lab tests done of all the tyres tested under the same ambient, physical, mechanical and loading conditions. Even then between riders and machines you will have too many variables to have even a rough idea.

Andy

Wouldn't the oil act like dynabeads and balance the tire eliminating the need for those pesky lead weights that fall off and pollute everything?

Jeese, ltljohn, I think we may be onto something big! Maybe we could get a billion dollar grant from the feds to do a study on saving the environment by using used oil in our tires. Also, I think we hijacked a thread.

Oh man, I think that Glock comment will be repeated, and rightfully so!!!

• 1 month later...
My first Z6 lasted about 5k & my last one lasted almost 13k so tire lifespan is subjective to conditions. Right now I'm running a Dunlop RoadSmart (duel compound) & it looks like it will match or top the Z6 in endurance.

Not sure which is stickier.

It really is crazy how the same tire will vary SO much in actual milage. Currently looking for a rear tire as I just noticed the ME880 cords starting to show with only 6100 miles on it :eek: (I thought I would get at least more milage than my last Z6). I guess I'll go back to the Z6 which I got 8,200 miles out of one time and only 5800 miles out of another. For the life of me I can't understand how anyone can get over 10,000 out of a rear tire.

Archived