IGNORED

Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboard player

wolcott

Billy Powell,56, keyboard player for Lynyrd Skynyrd, had died of an apparent heart attack in NE Florida. Perhaps someone can post a link as I am not very computer-literate. Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of the great Southern rock n' roll bands. They lost the lead singer and a couple of other folks in the band in the 70's in a plane crash; Billy Powell was one of two that made it out of the plane crash.

ADMIN: Please move to "Riders discuss other topics." Cancer drugs are turning my brain to mush.

Well, every day after the plane crash was gravy for him as far as I am concerned.

We saw them two years ago outside, in Reno. It was a wonderful concert with everybody on their feet stomping; laughing and singing. ( along with a wonderful aroma of Herb)

Sure beat the terrible Crosby; Stills; Nash and maybe Young concert at Tahoe two months earlier that half the crowd left halfway thru, which was just plain awful.

Seen them a few times in Dallas. I've been a fan for a long time. Sorry to see this post.

Seems that hard living life is catching up with some of those old rockers.

Been listening to Skynyrd as much as I can today. I grew up with Southern Rock (Allman Bros, ZZTop, Lynyrnd Skynyrd, ...) and I still enjoy it. My favorite song of theirs is still "Call Me The Breeze" It's my motorcycling theme song.

Call me the breeze

I keep blowin down the road

Well now they call me the breeze

I keep blowin down the road

I aint got me nobody

I dont carry me no load

Aint no change in the weather

Aint no changes in me

Well there aint no change in the weather

Aint no changes in me

And I aint hidin from nobody

Nobodys hidin from me

Oh, thats the way its supposed to be

BTW... Lots of Billy Powell on this tune.

Mike O

I also had read in the paper that he had a history of heart problems and that he had canceled an appointment with his doctor just a few days earlier. I wished he had kept his appointment. The doctor (don't know if it was his cardiologist) might have seen something and decided to run some tests or hospitalize him. Rickey Medlocke, formerly of Blackfoot, who joined the 2nd reincarnation of the band in the 90's, lives down here in Ft.Myers. He has a small music studio downtown. Dicky Betts, formerly of the Allman Brothers Band, is up the road in Sarasota. If they could dig up a bassist and a drummer and figure out who would play rhythm guitar, you got yourself the makings of a fine band.

Archived