IGNORED

End float on gear change lever/shaft

Beaky

After noticing I was nearly wearing a hole in the toe of my left boot I decided it was time to move the gear lever up a notch so I can get my toe under it rather than just the edge of my boot. I just took the lever off the shaft and put it on one spline further up. When back on it actually lined up with the makr on the shaft and could go up another notch if I need it. When putting the lever back on I noticed that the end float on the shaft is determined by how far on I put the lever, anyone know if there is any specified end float required, I just pushed it on as far as I could then loosened it a tad.

At the same time I replaced the naffy tor-x bolt with an allen headed bolt and washer and loctited it and the footpeg plate mounting bolts which were very loosely tightened when I removed them.

Beaky, we kind of need to know the make/model/year of motorcycle you are working with here to be able to help you?

Twisty

Ooops, forgot to say, it's an 08 R1200RT.

Beaky, we kind of need to know the make/model/year of motorcycle you are working with here to be able to help you?

Twisty

Ooops, forgot to say, it's an 08 R1200RT.

Beaky, I’m not that familiar with the shift lever on the R1200RT so just looked in the service manual.. Nothing in there about using the lever to control shaft end play.. In fact by looking at the parts breakdown it looks like the end play is actually controlled by the bearing inside the case & a couple of snap rings,, one holding the shaft in place in the bearing & the other holding the bearing in the case..

Looks like the shift lever should just be centered over the whistle notch in the shaft then the bolt put in & tightened..

If you believe you have excess end play in that shaft maybe one of the snap rings is missing or not seated correctly.. There is no end play spec given in the manual but it also looks like it isn’t critical as the ball on the shift shaft sits in a large notch inside the trans so doesn’t look like end play would effect anything..

Twisty

You should not use the lever to limit shaft end play. The lever should not contact the transmission housing when properly fitted.

Thanks Twisty but I've just been looking at the CD manual and it shows the gear change shaft is located by the levers at both ends. I can't get the picture into this post but here is another version that I found someone else had [posted on here a long while ago

it's here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0388&mospid=48423&btnr=23_0964&hg=23&fg=05

Obviously I'm having a bit of trouble getting this picture into my post but hopefully you can get to it.

Also thanks Ken but the gear change shaft on the RT goes through some bearings on the bike frame so it's remote from the transmission.

Beaky, I guess we both assumed you moved the lever on the trans not the one going through the frame..

There doesn’t seem to be anything in the manual on how to set the shaft end play on the shaft going through the frame so it looks like your “I just pushed it on as far as I could then loosened it a tad” will work about as good as any..

Twisty

Thanks again Twisty, I should have said which lever I was asking about, things get complicated enough without such misunderstandings. Anyway- thanks for the help.

Thanks again Twisty, I should have said which lever I was asking about, things get complicated enough without such misunderstandings. Anyway- thanks for the help.

Beaky, a good rule of thumb on non critical linkages & similar bell cranks is set them tight enough to not rattle & loose enough to not stick & you are usually well within a workable range..

Twisty

Archived