Para lever length change?

chasgrips45

I recently got a Email from Hornig with some after market offerings . I noticed that they make a para lever strut for the R1100rs,R1150rs,that is 20mm shorter than stock. I guess it reduces the wheelbase of the machine. Has anyone tried this shortened strut? How would it effect the handling of the bike? I know that shortening the wheelbase will make the bike a little more maneuverable,but does it really make a difference? Or is it an answer to a question unasked.

The para strut sets the rear ride height, not the wheelbase per se. A shorter strut quickens sterring, making the bike more flickable. The stock strut has been set for stability (liability?) reasons and fitting a shorter one makes the bike much more nimble at the expense of some straight-line stability. A few years ago I saw an adjustable strut fitted to a Boxer Cup bike, allowing the rider to 'set-up' the suspension for different tracks.

Andy

I recently got a Email from Hornig with some after market offerings . I noticed that they make a para lever strut for the R1100rs,R1150rs,that is 20mm shorter than stock. I guess it reduces the wheelbase of the machine. Has anyone tried this shortened strut? How would it effect the handling of the bike? I know that shortening the wheelbase will make the bike a little more maneuverable,but does it really make a difference? Or is it an answer to a question unasked.

chasgrips45, it might be worth a try.. Some older magazine tests of the BMW paralever fitted with a shorter (how much I don’t know) strut seemed to impress the writers & in most cases got a good review..

The shorter link will alter the rear U-joint angle (for better or worse I can’t say) but the original U-joint ft/rear matchup isn’t that great anyhow..

The shorter link will also change the parallelogram pivot points & change the jacking properties somewhat (again better or worse I can’t say)

It wili raise the rear enough to effect the turn in (I presume for the better but not riding the mod myself can’t say for sure)..

I made a similar change to my Ducati (different rear suspension but similar directional change) & it REALLY helped the turn in & cornering..

Added: -- If the link changes the rear height enough it could effect the side stand & center stand functionally so be sure to ask if that is a possibility..

Twisty

The R1100S guys use a torque arm from a GS to shorten the wheelbase and increase ride height. It really transforms the R1100S. In fact, the Boxer Cup Replicas come with the shorter torque arm. You can probably pick up a used one from the advrider site for a few bucks. If it doesn't work, sell it to some on the pelican parts board.

I checked & see that the GS paralever arm is 365mm,while the RS is 385 mm. I can also see that it would raise the ride height of the bike ,& when using the side stand might make the bike lean too far. I also wonder what kind of strain it would put on the u joint?

clip~ I also wonder what kind of strain it would put on the u joint?

chasgrips45, it shouldn’t place any more actual load on the rear U-joint but will effect the front to rear U-joint angle cancellation.. I’m not sure that is even such a big deal as the original U-joint angle cancellation is not that well matched on the BMW R bikes anyhow..

Twisty

I have an R1100S and changed to the shorter GS torque and I wouldn't go back. The steering is quicker and I don't notice any less stability on Interstates at speed. The bike does lean more on the side stand which makes it harder to get upright when fully loaded, but more of a problem is the fact the now the center stand doesn't completely lift the tires off the ground. If there's any slant to the ground surface, I put the bike on the side stand.

I checked & see that the GS paralever arm is 365mm,while the RS is 385 mm. I can also see that it would raise the ride height of the bike

It might mean you're even more on tippy toe!

Andy

Get an Ohlins shock with adjustable length. You can set the ride height at any level and you have a much better shock. My R1100RSL is raised about 20mm and it improves response and ground clearance. However, the first thing to touch down in corners are the valve covers.

Archived