IGNORED

Hot weather protection

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I did not want to hijack the Oly AST thread, but have a question. I have an airglide as well and love the jacket. We have many 95+ days here and on those days the jacket can be oppressive. The onlt thing I have found cooler, is a low end Joe Rocket mesh which I do not trust to protect me compeltely in a get off. So, looking for comments on a good 95+ jacket with excelent protection that does not require a cooling vest. Is there such a thing?

Rich,

I use the BMW "Venting Machine" jacket and pants and it works great. In 100+ days, I also use a cooling vest. The venting maching with a rain suit over it is also ok when it gets chilly (like going to Colorado in the summer.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

John,

I was afraid you were gonna say that. What, $600? I'm sure that you are not willing to part with yours at a discount, huh?

Rich,

I use the BMW "Venting Machine" jacket and pants and it works great. In 100+ days, I also use a cooling vest. The venting maching with a rain suit over it is also ok when it gets chilly (like going to Colorado in the summer.

+1 on the BMW Venting Maching jacket (don't have the pants)........I ride with it most of the time...When cold the Gerbings underneath does the job and/or rain jacket over it all too...Summer, it's as cool as you can probably get and still have some protection....

I use Firstgear's Torrent Mesh Jacket and Ht Air 2.0 Mesh pants. They both come with a removable wind and waterproof liner which is relatively easey to put in. They worked great last July on a trip from Oregon to Washington, Idaho, Montana and back.

As long as I was moving I was comfortable. The jacket came off and the pant legs were unzipped at rest stops though.

You will find enlarged photos of the features of these at www.newenough.com.

Ewell

I also have the Airglide (hi-viz). For me it works great here in Sacramento up to about 105, as long as I stay moving. Across town with stops it still gets pretty warm. Above 105, in the afternoon sun, I don't think anything will save you.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
Above 105, in the afternoon sun, I don't think anything will save you.

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll save up fo a venting machine and give that a try, and if that doesn't work quit whining and ride.

I wear the Oly mesh suit and I like it a lot. It's quite comfy here when it's 95+. I'm not sure how it would work in the dry like AZ.

I got my suit from Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters for $50 less than MSRP and that included shipping. I'm not affiliated, just satisfied.

I have a FG Torrent jacket, and while it seems well engineered, and likely to hold up well in a get off, I'll add a few cautions. Although I'm not as skinny as I was 30 years ago, I'm still on the slight side, and this jacket is a snug fit, tight in the arms and especially at the hips. It's cut is not for the full figured body. The bottom of the jacket is the same length all around, which makes it feel long in the front, and partially unzipping from the bottom is a must. The rear fanny pocket is so small as to be almost useless.

As with all mesh jackets, the Torrent flows a lot of air when moving, and the inner liner is effective against rain, without feeling clammy, although I wish it were insulated, rather than just a shell.

I far prefer the cut of the Tour Master Transitions II jacket, which is raised in the front, and dropped in the back, has adjuster straps on the arms, and has a decent sized fanny pocket. But, it's not mesh, and I have yet to see how well its venting system works in hot weather.

I'm a big fan of inside-out mesh jackets, with the rain/cold protection on the inside. There are lots of options (unfortunately, none from Tour Master in a 3/4 cut), so if you have the opportunity, try on as many as possible before making a choice.

I got a marketing e-mail from Whitehorse this morning, with this end user review:

"I recently bought the Tour Master Transition 2 Series jacket and wanted to try it out where I live - hot, humid Malaysia! I wanted this (one-time) jacket for all conditions so I do not need other jackets to change into. From where I come from, it's only wet and hot! I tested it riding under the sun (30 degrees celsius/86 degrees Fahrenheit) and it's cooler than my other Cordura with mesh lining jacket!! The Tour Master jacket is a heavier jacket, mind you. I was impressed with 'breathability' of the Transition series jacket, even in the searing heat. In the heaviest monsoon rains?? What else can you expect from this jacket, it's waterproof!! Except for the 'short' collar of the jacket, water does run down my neck (wear a scarf to cover your neck), it worked well as what was advertised. I love the venting system. At high speeds, my jacket filled with so much air that I wanted to close some of the vents."

YMMV.

I have the Tourmaster Cortec Air mesh jacket in white. I also bought the zip out insulated water proof liner. I'm happy with it. I've had it for 3 seasons. When it is in the 90s (about three days a year in Maine)I take the back protector out because it is too hot. But otherwise it is cooler than riding in a tee shirt because the sun isn't frying my arms.

Now if I could find a pair of riding pants that aren't BLACK!

Now if I could find a pair of riding pants that aren't BLACK!

Try BMW summer pants. Not waterproof but nice in the summer. They are tan in color.

I use the Motoport Kevlar Ultra Mesh and don't believe you will find anything cooler. I always describe it as nothing but a t-shirt is cooler. But that leaves a large gap in protection.

I commute 70 miles one way daily, dress clothes, and have been in mid-day 95+ weather and have not been uncomfortable. Well no more than if I was just sitting or walking in that type of heat.

Have not tested personally but from reports the jacket and pants hardly show anything after a fall. So I don't think anything else will protect you any better.

Personal comments, no relationship with company, just a very satisfied customer.

The radio weather said eight more weeks of winter, the wife and I just chuckled and continued with lunch knowing that the broadcast was from fifty miles south, flatlanders talking, and we still have twelve weeks left. 105'F in the sun, Tucson...

wonderful thoughts of spring/summer.

Thanks. this thread took a full week off the wait!

kc

Archived