IGNORED

Getting a fine for riding in the snow?

Willie

It was snowing out today and that prompted a conversation while at work as to where my bike was. I said snow and ice are about the only thing that keeps them in the garage and then a guy chimed in that it's illegal to ride them in this weather anyway. I never heard of such a thing and have ridden in the snow before. Not bad snow, mind you. Anyway, one of the regional depts. around here is getting a reputation for pulling guys over if it's snowing and fining them for careless driving or something like that. I know depending on the weather, it can be a common sense judgement call, but what about the guys with no cars? Seems like a bit of an infringement on my personal freedom of my choice of ride. Anyone ever hear of this before?

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

It makes sense to me. I've been caught in the snow, but would never head out looking for it, and I am well aware that riding in the snow puts me, and others, at risk.

It was snowing out today and that prompted a conversation while at work as to where my bike was. I said snow and ice are about the only thing that keeps them in the garage and then a guy chimed in that it's illegal to ride them in this weather anyway. I never heard of such a thing and have ridden in the snow before. Not bad snow, mind you. Anyway, one of the regional depts. around here is getting a reputation for pulling guys over if it's snowing and fining them for careless driving or something like that. I know depending on the weather, it can be a common sense judgement call, but what about the guys with no cars? Seems like a bit of an infringement on my personal freedom of my choice of ride. Anyone ever hear of this before?

Sure....in the AZ motor vehicle code.

It does seem odd that a ticket could be issued for operating a properly licensed and insured bike/vehicle. One could make a valid arguement about unsafe conditions and endangering others on the road but I really wonder if that would hold up in court. My guess is that funding sources for the road may also be a factor in dictating the rules about road usage. Does anyone know for instance of a Federal law that restricts motorcycles specifically on a publically/funded accessible road?

If this really is happening it seems to me that the AMA would love to know about it.

Just saw AZKomet's post.... Wow.. I never imagined that that could be the case.

russell_bynum
Russell, you need to post that video of you and I flying down that mountain with the ice/snow. :grin:

Ask and ye shall receive

Those Michelin's stick pretty well...even in the wet/slush/snow. :grin:

Man...what a fun day. Remember the girl in a tank-top with a windbreaker over it on the back of that sportbike at the top of the hill? I'll bet that was their first...and last date. :dopeslap:

Seems like a bit of an infringement on my personal freedom of my choice of ride.

Where is that guaranteed?

If it's street legal, insured, and inspected. I don't know of any law that tells a person what they are or aren't allowed to drive.

ETA Nothing in the PA DMV code about restricting motorcycle use because of weather. I knew a guy that actually went to take his riding test in the snow on his bike years ago. Already had the day off for it, so he rode in for the test. The guy told him if he could make it there in the snow without crashing, he didn't need to take the test. Passed him on the spot. So anyone ever get cited for this and take it to court?

Call up whatever "regional department" you are talking about and get ahold of the head honcho and ask him. Then, double-check with DMV, state police, etc.

Just to stir the pot, I don't see that it is that far of a stretch for a careless ticket for riding a motorcycle on a snow covered road. For me personally, circumstances would play in though, guy on his way home dumb and happy gets caught in a snow storm, what is he to do, has to get home. No cite. Guy in the neighborhood tearing up the street in the snow because he can, on street or dirt bike= cite.

Joe Frickin' Friday
For me personally, circumstances would play in though, guy on his way home dumb and happy gets caught in a snow storm, what is he to do, has to get home.

No, he doesn't. Neither does the drunk guy, or the tired guy. If it's dangerous to be out riding, then that is true regardless of one's reason for being out there.

If a fella absolutely has to get home, and it's dangerous to ride home - because he's drunk, tired, or it's slippery out - then he can park and call a taxi or a friend. One does not "have to" ride home.

I would imagine laws on riding a motorcycle on snowy and icy roads are self enforcing. You make the choice and accept the consequences when you crash.

In California, basic speed laws would pertain to an accident that occurred as the result of riding on surfaces with low coefficient of friction. Yes, you could be charged for exceeding the speed limit of zero, the maximum safe speed for conditions on an icy road.

Could an officer write you a ticket? What's the maximum safe speed for conditions on a icy road? If explained properly in court it should stand up.

Willie, it looks like you just might have problems in Quebec if between Dec & March & if you can’t find properly marked & accepted motorcycle snow tires.. Doesn’t say you can’t ride but you must have proper snow tires to do so..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417231

Twisty

In Oregon they can cite you for riding too fast for conditions. I suspect they can cite you for riding when conditions are considered unsafe as well. We have chain laws that require vehicles to either carry chains or use them depending on conditions. There are road signs posted when you need to carry/use. The DOT establishes the rules based on a statue that gives them the authority to do so. They do address motorcycles specifically:

"Motorcycles are exempt from the requirement to carry chains or traction tires and may not travel when signs are posted in accordance with Division 17 rules requiring chains or traction tires on all or certain classes of vehicles."

I ride all the time when carrying chains is required, because they leave the signs up all winter. Not an issue, I'm exempt. I've never ridden when chains are required to be on the vehicle, I would crash for sure. Something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVLuki_MrxE

But only on my RT it wouldn't be as easy to get up and start again.

I have probably accumulated several hundred miles riding in snow sticking to the ground (As opposed to falling snow that does not acculmulate). It isn't that difficult if you keep your wits about you. I have ridden right past 4wd SUVs that had slid into the ditch, so clearly some folks are not qualified to operate motor vehicles in the slippery stuff regardless of the vehicle's capabilities.

Last weekend I rode right past a local cop in our foothills.

The snow was stuck in the corners but I kept on riding.

Several miles later I had to traverse some icy corners.

300 feet later my bike turned west and I was going north.

I rode it out for about 25 ft sliding completly sideways.

After I picked up my bike and stopped my friends from laughing so hard I wished the cop would have wrote me the ticket.

I bet it's cheaper than Suzuki parts which are now on order :dopeslap:

I would not be surprised, or disappointed if there are laws restricting motorcycle riding in certain conditions. Autos are required to have chains or studs on mountain roads. There are weight restrictions on other roads for commercial traffic. People with bunny ears on their helmets are (or at least should be) restricted from virtually all roads. Restrictions are commonplace and most often make sense.

Archived