IGNORED

need advice

taters

need some advice. i am going to a dealership and i am going to trade in my 04 rt...if they want it....here is what it has:

a bill mayer saddle that is good but worn

ohlin shocks front and rear

throttlemister

headlight modulator

hyper brake lights

headlight protector

ufl shelf and a garmin 2730 which connects to it

new tires

extended warranty good till nov 2010

good paint job

75,000 miles on it

side bags, and a worn but functunal topcase

a parabellum windshield

what would be fair if i traded it in on a 2009 tiger triumph with abs?

thanks for any and all input taters

If the US is anything like here in Australia, all of your optional extras would make no difference to the price offered. I'd remove all of it and put it back to stock if I were going to trade it.

If I was going to sell it here, I'd leave it as it is.

My take: Remove all extras and flog them here. Put the bike to stock and take the best offer you can.

The Tiger is an awesome bike. That triple engine is just a dream.

Cheers,

Linz :)

Extras are not considered when traded in.

You may be able to get a pro-rata refund on your warranty, most cases is not transferable any way.

Put the old tires on, and give me the new ones, I'll be thankful for life... :thumbsup:

You get 10% (if that) on the dollar for all the investment spent on farkles.

Trading in the best way to get the least for your money. Dealers also manipulate the trade-in value to make you think you are getting a good deal. Any mark up on your trade in is added to the back end costs of your new Triumph. Sell your bike privately, then shop a new bike.

You may be able to get a pro-rata refund on your warranty, most cases is not transferable any way.

It depends ont eh warranty but I have had god luck transfering them from multiple sources. You usually just have to pay a $25 transfer fee. Its not hard to do, as I have done it multiple times.

Yp the OP, unfortunatley you will take a bath on all the extras at a delaer. If you want to try and get some value from the extras then I reccomend you try selling it on your own. Alot of people that are familiar with th equioment and additional costs will pay a few bucks more. Otherwise you need to take it all off and sell on its own (especially the Ohlins) or be prepared to get really hard at the dealer.

Bikes are not moving right now; new or used, so you will get something below trade-in book value. My guess is $4,800 to $5,500 given the higher mileage on your RT. So that is the bad news.

The good news is new bikes aren't moving so you should determine dealer cost and negotiate from there.

Oh, and like the others have said; the accessories will not make a difference in trade value.

The Tiger is an great looking and great performing bike.

what would be fair if i traded it in on a 2009 tiger triumph with abs?

Doesn't matter..Once you ride off on the new bike it won't matter.. :thumbsup:

To a dealer, farkles aren't worth 20pct of what you paid for them on a trade in! IMHO - You would be better off selling the farkles or exchanging upgraded parts such as windshields and shocks BEFORE you sold the bike.

Good luck anyway :thumbsup:

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Just check it out in the motorcycle blue book . The dealer will give you "dealer wholesale" if you are lucky with no consideration for Farkles. You would be better off removing them and put them on the classifieds here, or eBbay.

While this isn't a direct reply to your question, have you considered having a BMW dealer sell on consignment? The commission is 10% and 90% of retail [or just below] is better than wholesale. They do all advertising, web links, and registration paperwork. Best of all, they upped the price because of my mods: Kisan SignalMinder, a brake-flashy-thingy, top box, engine guards, throttlemeister, etc.

The BMW dealer was eager to have a used 1150 on the floor. It sold in about 4-5 weeks. Your dual spark 04, without the antenna and speaker baggage, should be even more popular.

+1 on consignment. There are only two negatives: 1) It takes some time. If you have to sell before you can buy, you'll be bikeless for a while. 2) You'll have to pay sales tax on the total cost of the new bike.

John Ranalletta

I inquired about consigning my Multistrada to the local dealer. He confirmed the above advice about farkles, i.e. you're better off to sell them on ebay, advrider, craigslist or here.

About tires... he said he wouldn't take a bike on consignment unless it had nearly-new or new tires. In his experience, worn tires were a deal breaker because consignment buyers are looking for deals and the prospect of spending another $3-400 to make the bike trip worthy is a barrier.

I suggest you make an attempt to sell it yourself.

You are in a really small town but not all that far from a lot of people. Try CraigsList.org, the Classified section on this and other BMW boards, the BMW MOA board, Sale Ads in the grocery store and local papers, etc. Of course there is the Cycle Trader on line and Ebay... actually pretty good places.

All this will be worth the trouble.

I suggest you make an attempt to sell it yourself.

You are in a really small town but not all that far from a lot of people. Try CraigsList.org, the Classified section on this and other BMW boards, the BMW MOA board, Sale Ads in the grocery store and local papers, etc. Of course there is the Cycle Trader on line and Ebay... actually pretty good places.

All this will be worth the trouble.

+1

I've had good luck selling a bike on e-bay, made more than I hoped for.

Archived