IGNORED

Texting Driver Update

Bullett

russell_bynum

Hmmm.

So...if you cause an accident because you are being negligent...you can be charged for that?

It's almost like we already have a system in place to punish people who cause problems by being careless and we don't need all the new feel-good laws banning stuff.

Fascinating.

Shaw agreed to spend up to 50 hours making speeches against using a cell phone while driving

'Up to' 50 hours of public speaking? What an inhumanely severe sentence... I mean, all he did was kill two people. And lie about it until caught.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Very sad. Somehow the consequences of his action, 2 deaths, needs to be understood by the population as a whole. I see examples of this (texting while driving)every day on my commute. Driving up awareness and enforcement on DUI cases has certainly had an impact on those stats. The same may be necessary here, because it is clear that many people left to their own "good judgement," make bad decisons/choices.

So...if you cause an accident because you are being negligent...you can be charged for that?

No, he didn't just cause and accident by being negligent, he was reckless and killed two people who were fathers, husbands, sons of someone. He got off too easy. I hope with his admission of guilt, the families can sue him so that he never has enough money to own a cell phone again.

As president of the Beehive Beemers, I was asked to write a letter in support of the possible Utah legislation banning two way communication while driving. I can't write as the president of the club without the consent of the membership. I was told the AMA (motorcycle, not medical AMA) issued a statement that they are "neutral" on the legislation. I don't see how any motorcycle rider can be neutral after being run off the road by a cell phone user. I've definately decided not to renew my AMA membership. We will discuss support of the bill at the next Beehive Beemer club meeting. However, I suspect it will be like support of helmet laws, "personal choice" trumps safety every time.

Joe Frickin' Friday

No, he didn't just cause and accident by being negligent, he was reckless and killed two people who were fathers, husbands, sons of someone. He got off too easy. I hope with his admission of guilt, the families can sue him so that he never has enough money to own a cell phone again.

I think Russell has been a bit too subtle lately with his sarcasm...

As president of the Beehive Beemers, I was asked to write a letter in support of the possible Utah legislation banning two way communication while driving. I can't write as the president of the club without the consent of the membership. I was told the AMA (motorcycle, not medical AMA) issued a statement that they are "neutral" on the legislation. I don't see how any motorcycle rider can be neutral after being run off the road by a cell phone user. I've definately decided not to renew my AMA membership. We will discuss support of the bill at the next Beehive Beemer club meeting. However, I suspect it will be like support of helmet laws, "personal choice" trumps safety every time.

Banning of two-way comms in general would mean motorcyclists could no longer use FRS...

The Utah bill originally proposed, as I understand it, would have banned two way radios, but I believe that has been excised from the current verstion of the bill due to the objections from DOT snowplow drivers.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to look for the proposed language right now . . . maybe later.

Seems like the legislation always blames the device rather than blaming the irresponsibility of the individual...

Bad, bad phone! Evil phone... :dopeslap:

The Utah bill originally proposed, as I understand it, would have banned two way radios, but I believe that has been excised from the current verstion of the bill due to the objections from DOT snowplow drivers.

I believe you are correct, Sharon. The DOT objected and two way radios were removed. That's probably OK. Multipe studies have show that using a cell phone, regardless of "hands off", impair the driver that same as being legally drunk. Since at any time, about 10% of drivers are on their cell phones, I don't like riding with 10% of the drivers being impaired. At least one study showed "push to talk" devices didn't cause the same level of impairment for some reason.

Regarding a later reply about GPS's and touch screens. Any distraction is dangerous, but GPS's and touch screens aren't used as often for as long a period of time. They aren't a problem YET.

GPS touch screens are every bit as distracting if used incorrectly...as are MP3 players, DVD players, radar detectors, passengers, maps, radios etc etc....the issue is with the prosecutor and the charge that was filed, not the existing law. Why not file a manslaughter charge or a negligent homicide charge?

Ever seen a teen send a text? Takes mere seconds...I blame the individual not the device....

I heard the other day that certain states had considered banning the driver from changing the radio station and even talking to their passengers, but the police said it would be unenforceable.

Enough is enough. More laws is not the answer (it rarely is)

Archived