IGNORED

Slipping clutch

spfksfdk

Why is there always something going wrong with my bike !!!!

About 6 month ago I had to replace the clutch after the push-rod welded itself to the thrust-plate and snapped the other end in the slave cylinder.

Since then the clutch has always been a bit sluggish at the start of a ride but after a few operations gets better. I have tried to bleed it on several occasional with no success.

While riding home tonight I noticed the clutch level had no play in it and under heavy acceleration it would slip!! I set the adjuster to its slackest setting but still get the problem.

Any ideas what could be happening??

Andrew, two that stand out but it could a lot of things..

First place to look is that the clutch master cylinder piston is FULLY returning to the out position.. If the piston doesn’t return far enough it will not open the by-pass port in the bottom of the cylinder & that can trap fluid pressure & hold the clutch partially released..

If the piston is fully returning then make sure the rear most (very small) hole in the bottom of the clutch master cylinder is open & not plugged with gunk..

If the bike has ever fallen on that side for sure suspect the clutch master cylinder..

If all OK in the master cylinder then possibly a sticking piston in the clutch slave cylinder or a problem with eth slave cylinder..

Other than that look for pinched or restricted clutch hose/line or other reason the slave cylinder could be holding pressure & staying partially deployed..

Twisty

I hear what you are saying.... It only slips under heavy acceleration so if I'm careful.... :-(

Tomorrow you may be able to say "I told you so"....

I hear what you are saying.... It only slips under heavy acceleration so if I'm careful.... :-(

Tomorrow you may be able to say "I told you so"....

We were headed to Alaska, 1500 miles into the trip and my clutch started to slip at hard acceleration. Decision time, we kept going and I stayed light handed with the throttle. Made it there and back, 8600 miles on that slipping clutch. IMHO you should be O.K. for a while if you are careful.

I got to work OK :-)

Lying in bed worrying about this last night I convinced myself it was the clutch lever not returning properly that was the problem. When I played with the lever at the side of the road things seemed got better for a while and I had trouble the other day with the brake lever not returning, causing the ABS light to come on.

So I guess the next question is how to remove, clean and lubricate the levers?

I got to work OK :-)

Lying in bed worrying about this last night I convinced myself it was the clutch lever not returning properly that was the problem. When I played with the lever at the side of the road things seemed got better for a while and I had trouble the other day with the brake lever not returning, causing the ABS light to come on.

So I guess the next question is how to remove, clean and lubricate the levers?

Andrew, remove the clutch lever pivot bolt.. Clean the pivot bolt shoulder,, the lever hole & the parts you can see sticking out of the master cylinder.. Maybe pull the clutch master cylinder boot & clean it there..

Re-lubricate the pivot bolt shoulder with a good grease (I use moly based),, then a small drop of loc-tite on the pivot bolt threads. Not much to it..

Clutchpivotbolt.jpg

Twisty

Archived