IGNORED

THE RIDER'S WORKSHOP

Jim Ford

Hello folks, It's been some time since I posted on this venerable site. Roughly ten days ago, there was an exchange regarding my on-road motorcycling Workshops. In response, I have brought over from my website, the Q&A Link. Please take a look. If you have further questions, please get in touch. Respectfully, Jim Ford

QUESTION AND ANSWERS

ABOUT

THE RIDER’S WORKSHOP

Many friends and acquaintances have asked me questions about The Rider’s Workshop. I wanted to answer some of these questions to better clarify the purpose of the Rider’s Workshop.

How did the Rider’s Workshop get started?

I had been working in sales at Bob’s BMW for several years and I had created this gig called the Second Sunday Ride. The ride was very successful so we discussed having a rides department as an adjunct to the rest of the store. From a business standpoint, it would naturally ring the cash register.

But you left Bob’s. Why?

It became clear that to create a high quality riding experience for interested riders beyond simply a store adjunct, I’d have to immerse myself in the project and do it full time, which is what I’m doing.

What are your qualifications to conduct such a workshop?

I believe I have unique teaching qualifications. Since college I have always been a commissioned salesman. In fact, I have never had a salaried job. Selling is teaching and teaching is selling. Before I came to Bob’s BMW, I enjoyed nearly twenty years in the life insurance business where the sale was always made by teaching. At Bob’s I sold over 1000 motorcycles so I truly have acquired over thirty years of teaching experience.

I also feel fortunate to have flown airplanes before I rode motorcycles. Skilled pilots fly very smoothly. An interesting fact is that flying and motorcycling skills are very much alike so the skills transfer easily enough. As a skilled pilot myself, I ride smooth and, by breaking the skills down, I know how to teach you to do the same.

As for how I acquired my road knowledge, my sister swears in another life I was an Indian scout. She likes describing how even as a young boy I was always exploring the farthest reaches of our Midwest surroundings. I am a natural when it comes to studying and exploring Appalachian back roads and have logged nearly 300,000 miles on them. As a result, my knowledge is extensive.

Do you have a Mission Statement?

Yes. The mission of the Rider’s Workshop is to thrill customers with a riding experience they will remember forever and to thrill them with riding accomplishment they will own forever. My mission is to inspire riders to become their own motorcycling ideal. Otherwise, there’s a money back guarantee.

How do you plan to accomplish this?

I plan to accomplish this four ways. First is to expose riders to a mostly undiscovered network of roads through the Appalachians. I call them the “Invisible” Roads. They’re invisible because riders don’t seem to see them, otherwise they’d be all over these roads. By showing riders how to unearth these roads for themselves they’ll relish the continuous discovery of new roads. In this, there is great adventure!

Second, I want to give riders a methodology for reading these roads. Invisible roads are more challenging. I want to show riders how to quickly analyze road conditions, road surroundings, and how to anticipate what’s beyond the Vanishing Point. A full understanding of the “road” is a big part of the art of safe motorcycling.

Third, if a rider wants to ride more skillfully they first need to ride smoothly. Riding smooth is the fountain from which other riding skills spring. The goal is to become seamlessly smooth so there is a Zen-like flow. Riding seamlessly smooth all the time is nearly impossible but, on the journey toward seamlessness, you will become a motorcyclist.

Finally, there is apres-ride. I know the cool places to stay. I know where the food is delicious and the music rockin’. I know where it’s party time. Best of all, say some, I know where the swimming holes are en route!

Okay so what about Zen?

Zen is multi-faceted when it comes to motorcycling. Zen is the gratitude and joy you feel underway. Anyone who rides well knows this. Zen is the connection with another rider when you both know your ride is special. Zen is when you’re focusing on something you love and time and distance compress into an endless now. Finally, Zen is polishing your motorcycling ideal to its full luster. In this we’re all Grasshoppers.

Come riding!

Jim Ford

www.ridersworkshop.com

866-767-6900

Hi Guys, I hope you do not think that I am advertising, although I can see why you might think so. To advertise was not my intention. I have received lots of questions and I have seen posts about my Workshop, and thought a formal q & a might best serve the group. If similar responses to yours, are all that come of my posting, then it probably doesn't serve. Anyhow, I have had the Workshops up and running into the fourth year now. If I was so inclined to advertise in this setting, I would have attempted long before now. Respectfully, Jim Ford

Jim,

I didn't take it that way.

Just seemed like a good post to address the topics raised

by other postings.

Best wishes.

I think we might know one of the participants from this class....

may-31-group-1.jpg

This class had two BMWST folks - me (1st on left) and Steve BARONE (3rd from right).

Perhaps it was an ad, but as another said, I among others had reccomended this course, and I feel it useful to get some info from the course instructor himself - IMHO

Jim, Have you considered coming down the the BRR and doing a live presentation for the group? It would also be an opportunity to scout out the area for future classes since th Florida crowd is prevelent in the area.

Lone_RT_rider
Jim, Have you considered coming down the the BRR and doing a live presentation for the group? It would also be an opportunity to scout out the area for future classes since th Florida crowd is prevelent in the area.

We try to keep our events such as BRR very loose and un-organized. For this reason, we normally don't have presentations, classes or tech sessions. If people want to get together on their own and do something offsite or away from the BRR location (MVI), that's completely up to them but we do ask that anything of this nature not be attached to the event.

Shawn Goulding

BRR co-organizer

We try to keep our events such as BRR very loose and un-organized. For this reason, we normally don't have presentations, classes or tech sessions. If people want to get together on their own and do something offsite or away from the BRR location (MVI), that's completely up to them but we do ask that anything of this nature not be attached to the event.

Shawn Goulding

BRR co-organizer

I thought that was organized beer drinking I saw last fall :rofl:

Shawn Goulding

BRR co-organizer

I thought that was organized beer drinking I saw last fall :rofl:

Not to mention co-ordinated oil level checking.

Those things are all included in the price of admission to the BRR, as is the synchronized tupperware removal.

The point is, these events are put together to be social events. Unlike the MOA National, RA, Honda Hoot, Americade, etc. where vendors are brought in for folks to peruse during their non-riding days, these are weekend events geared toward a bit of riding, a bit of tire kicking, and waiting for the Blairsville Witch to arrive.

I am certain that Mr. Ford could find participants to come to this very motorcycle friendly region to attend his class. shoot, were it offered in an area I am more likely to travel to I would love to attend. However, it is not the intention of the organizers (a.k.a. Shawn and I) to do this event as anything but the social gathering it has become.

Calvin  (no socks)

I'm not a club type, so I fit right in.... at best, it is a loose knit association...er.. Social Phenomenon... I believe the exploding beers a few years back was a hostile takeover plot by one of the future BRR event co-organizers. :grin:

Archived