IGNORED

Extended warranties

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I have decided that an extended warranty offers the kind of peace of mind that I am looking for. My dealer has quoted me $1100. for a 7 yr unlimited mileage bumper to bumper policy and a year to make up my mind. I did a search and there is lots of info on opinions on whether or not to have one, but not much on preferred providers and pricing. Pinnacle does seem to come up quite often. Are there others? If you have one, would you please provide the name of the comapany, the pricing, and your level of satisfaction.

Thanks!

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

So, can I assume that no one has experience with extended warranties, or is the answer to the question too obvious to warrant even a single reply?

Rich, personally I don’t use extended warranty’s so have little to offer you here except one little thing..

Some extended warranty’s require dealer only service & repair to keep the extended warranty in effect.. If you do your own service make sure your read the fine print & ask the salesman about that on what ever one you decide to choose..

Twisty

I have a five year extended warranty. IIRC, it is from Insterstate. I purchased it through the dealer and so far it has paid for replacement of two transmission oil seals. My extended warrany requires that scheduled maintainence be performed but it may be done by the owner.

I wouldn't have purchased my K12S without an extended warranty. The trans and clutch are the "common" big dollar failures, in my experience, at least in the 06.

$1100. for a 7 yr unlimited mileage bumper to bumper policy

Richie,

The key word is unlimited.

Your bike came with a 3 year/36k mile factory limited warranty.

I'm pretty sure you can do 36k in 18 months or less, if you really go for it, seeing how we live where riding is year long.

Technically you have over lap of the original warranty for the 3/ 36k.

This is a kind of a trap.

If you put on less than 12k a year you just bought 4 years of extended coverage for the price of 7! oops.

Rack up a year of riding. See how many miles you put on in this first year then apply the extended if you are going to keep the bike.

But who knows what other new bikes the near future will bring... again another trap!

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
$1100. for a 7 yr unlimited mileage bumper to bumper policy

But who knows what other new bikes the near future will bring... again another trap!

Hmmm! The best point. Looks like I have a year before I even need to be thinking about this.

All-Thanks for your replies.

BTW-"Richie." that's funny. :rofl:

My only experience is with a car, not a bike. Once.

When I bought a new M5 in '00, I bought an extended warranty, something I never do and to this day I can't remember why I did so then. It allegedly extended the warranty from 4 to 7 years, though it was not affiliated directly with BMW.

My repair bills for years 4 through 7 were less than the cost of policy - pretty good for an expensive, complicated high performance car. The two or three times I did attempt to get the insurance to pay for small claims, they turned the claim down, for reasons I never understood (3 CPS replacements). Arguing on the phone proved useless, especially with someone whose training for the job consisted of learning to say no to any posed question.

So effectively for me, it was 100% wasted money. However, I have heard of a number of much better experiences, and I wish you better luck than I had. The company was Warrentech and they are still in business doing extended car and home warranties.

I did buy my daughter a used X3 recently, and the dealer not only gave us a surprisingly excellent price, but then they CPO'd the car and extended the warranty to 100k miles directly with BMW for no additional charge. I'll be curious to see how this works out.

I have only had them on used trucks. The first one paid off it covered a couple of expensive repairs that totaled more than the cost of the policy. The second one only about 40% so it can go either way.

I am currently on a third one and I had the O2 sensors replaced last week and the extended coverage saved me about 20% of the cost of the policy,with that and another minor repair I am at about 30% with a good amount of time and mileage left.

Archived