IGNORED

Can you hear me now? Good! (or not)

Jake

Yep. Doc sez I have normal hearing...for my age. :mad: Do you? :/

Click here for a little test to see if you are still hearing the upper registers of the human range, which theoretically is 20Hz to 20Khz. In my case, 6 years worth of Air Force flying hasn't helped as they promised. I'm sure those motorcycle trips haven't been great either. Whad'ya say, Sonny?

I'm a 15 Khz guy. What about you?

Edit: Here's another test

I'm not sure how old everyone is but by middle age hearing normally tops out at 15 kHz or less... if you're on the far side of 40 and can hear that you're actually doing pretty well. Also, a real hearing test requires calibrated equipment... inability to 'hear' frequencies above 15 kHz may have as much to do with limitations in your sound reproduction system as your actual hearing. Lastly, there isn't much content above 15 kHz anyway, even in music. You will miss those stealth teenager ringtones though... :grin:

The average person only hears typically to 16K anyway and 40-50 Hz is felt more than actually heard. You're doing good for such an old man!

skinny_tom (aka boney)

We do hearing tests every year at work. I still have "better that normal" hearing across the fqcy's, with little to no loss since I got hired. I'm pretty careful about using hearing protection though... But like Tom, Gabby sometimes wonders if I going deaf.

My eight year old daughter heard it at about 17/18. Me? About 14. But I now have a pretty constant one going on at about 10 or 12. Can you say tinnitus? Rock 'n Roll did it to me too, Mike.

Joe Frickin' Friday

19K here. But I'm not quite 39 yet; got a few more months. :grin:

Like Boney, we get hearing tests every year, and they say much the same thing: zero hearing loss. I wear earplugs more than most folks I know.

I guess those 6X9's cranked to the max (in High School) and flying without headsets have done some damage.

I'm ashamed to post what it was, but it was bad. Now I know why I say "what" all the time.

Does anyone have that number to Beltone handy?

ShovelStrokeEd

13K here but I'm 66 and haven't always worn ear plugs in high noise environments. Drag bikes and printing presses, mostly.

18k on the first sample and 21k on the alternative sample. Apparently, neither singing nor motorcycling has hurt much yet.

There are some stores I hate going into because their lights whistle. It makes me crazy.

19K here -- 40 Y.O. male. Unfortunately, the other test you list gives my opposite results -- large gaps at the higher frequencies.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. :S

WHAT? Is there some sound in there besides the speaking voice? Yes, I know I only hear what I want. My wife hears everything she shouldn't :grin:

Francois_Dumas
WHAT? Is there some sound in there besides the speaking voice? Yes, I know I only hear what I want. My wife hears everything she shouldn't :grin:

:grin::grin:

Those of you who are hearing 18 kHz and above (rather unusual for an adult) should also perform the aliasing test to be sure that you're hearing the true tone and not an artifact. For instance my PC audio card sounds fine when playing most material but is completely worthless for this test, and that's not an uncommon trait.

Those of you who are hearing 18 kHz and above (rather unusual for an adult) should also perform the aliasing test to be sure that you're hearing the true tone and not an artifact. For instance my PC audio card sounds fine when playing most material but is completely worthless for this test, and that's not an uncommon trait.
Mine likewise, the anti-alias test supplies a series of up and down tones as does the actual test, wonder if the MP3 player would be better.
Jerry Johnston

71(this Feb) and if I crank the volumn up I can hear 20khz,18,17 thru 14 and nothing else? I'm extremely hard of hearing and wear hearing aids some of the time which are a pain. With H.Aids I often can hear everything but the person next to me. I rode for years wo ear plugs and for several years wore a headset listening to music when I was traveling around calling on schools selling computers and av equipment.

The MP3 player works well, I think it's a bit dubious that all these motorcyclists can hear such high frequencies, do run the anti-alias test and make sure you get a smooth descending tone. I can't hear anything much above 12K through headphones (Sony MDR-V600) from the MP3 player. I rode 200,000 miles before I started wearing earplugs and listened to lots of loud music (Hawkwind, The Who, Led Zep etc) Oh well, guess I don't need a high end audio system...

Yeah, tones above 16 kHz should sound pretty piercing and will almost be felt more than heard. If you are hearing a clear audio tone at these frequencies then it's most likely really an aliasing artifact at a much lower frequency. But most MP3 players (as opposed to a PC sound chipset) should work well, as long as you're using a decent set of headphones. If you can hear the tones in that environment then you can rightfully claim your golden ear status.

18k on the first sample and 21k on the alternative sample.

Aliasing test was okay. The second sample is an artifact. The first sample still kicks at 17 or 18k with a smooth descending tone.

Archived