IGNORED

Battery Tender/ Odyssey battery

Lawman

I've had my Odyssey battery for two years. I have never used my Battery Tender on this bike (05 1200 RT) until very recently..In the past with other batteries on other bikes the Battery Tender would show a red light when charging followed by a blinking red light and then a green light indicating a fully charged battery..With this battery on this bike the light never stops blinking red. Why?

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Not sure. I used a battery tender on my Odyssey and when fully charged I did get the steady green.

I've had my Odyssey battery for two years. I have never used my Battery Tender on this bike (05 1200 RT) until very recently..In the past with other batteries on other bikes the Battery Tender would show a red light when charging followed by a blinking red light and then a green light indicating a fully charged battery..With this battery on this bike the light never stops blinking red. Why?

I don't believe that a blinking red light is normal under any situation with the Deltran Battery Tender. Below is status light info from the operator manual:

STATUS INDICATOR LIGHTS: The following describes the

indicator light operation: Note that the BT JUNIOR has a single light

that will shine either RED or GREEN, while the BT PLUS has two

separate lights, one RED and one GREEN.

􀂾 NEITHER THE RED OR GREEN LIGHT TURN ON – This is an abnormal

condition and most likely indicates that the charger is not properly

connected to the AC power.

􀂾 RED LIGHT FLASHING – The red light flashing indicates that the battery

charger has AC power available and that the microprocessor is functioning

properly. If the red light continues to flash, then either the battery voltage

is too low (less than 3 volts) or the output alligator clips or accessory ring

terminals are not connected correctly.

􀂾 RED LIGHT ON STEADY – Whenever the red light is on steady, a battery

is connected properly and the charger is charging the battery. The red

light will remain on until the charger completes the charging stage.

􀂾 GREEN LIGHT FLASHING – When the green light is flashing, the battery

is greater than 80% charged. For BT Plus models the red light will also be

on steady. (Note: Does not apply to the 8V Plus or the 6V Junior).

􀂾 GREEN LIGHT ON STEADY – When the green light stops flashing and

burns steady, the charge is complete and the battery can be returned to

service if necessary.

􀂾 ALTERNATING RED & GREEN LIGHTS FLASHING (PLUS) or SINGLE

LIGHT ORANGE (JUNIOR) – This is abnormal and most likely indicates

either that the battery is sulfated or that there is a poor electrical

connection between the charger DC output and the battery posts. For the

BT Plus models it may indicate a reverse polarity connection on the DC

output cables (the battery is hooked up backwards).

Billy--it may not be the battery at all. Check something for me. Unscrew the plastic part of the plug and expose the wires and the terminals. Check to see that each wire is screwed tightly against the wire. If not tighten them up, screw the plastic cover back on and plug the tender back in. Your problem will go away if is was a loose connection.

108491705.jpg

Billy, where on your bike are you hooking your Battery Tender?

If you are plugging it into one of the bike outlets & the one you are plugging into hasn’t been modified to connect directly to the battery then the charge from the Battery Tender will never reach the battery..

For the 1200 hexhead bikes you either need a special battery charger (very expensive),, or modify one of your outlets to connect directly to the battery ,, or add a charging pig tail directly to the battery then charge through that..

Twisty

Billy, where on your bike are you hooking your Battery Tender?

I believe Billy has a bypass directly to the battery, if I remember correctly. Billy?

If he is plugging it into a CANBUS outlet, well, your assessment is correct.

Billy?

Okay..I don't know what's going on..I am using my Gerbing's plug that comes directly off the battery..It is the same plug I use to plug in my Gerbing's jacket liner..I have two Battery Tenders.. I have a Battery Tender Plus and a less expensive Battery Tender Automatic model 021-0123. The Automatic is a cheaper model that consists of only a small unit approx. 2" x 2" x 2 1/2" whose two pronged 110 volt plug comes out of the back of the charger. The Battery Tender Plus blinks red when plugged into the bike and the Battery Tender Automatic doesn't show any light at all..

Billy, OK, make sure the fuse is OK in the Gerbings pig tail.. If that is Ok make sure you have the pig tail polarity hooked up correctly to the battery posts.. Something doesn’t sound right there,, maybe a blown fuse or reversed polarity.. You Gerbings clothes will work reverse polarity but the newer electronic controllers won’t..

Twisty

Billy, OK, make sure the fuse is OK in the Gerbings pig tail.. If that is Ok make sure you have the pig tail polarity hooked up correctly to the battery posts.. Something doesn’t sound right there,, maybe a blown fuse or reversed polarity.. You Gerbings clothes will work reverse polarity but the newer electronic controllers won’t..

Twisty

Ah...My guess is reversed polarity is the problem..whatever that is... :grin:

When I hooked up my electrical stuff I just hooked up my Centech fuse panel to the battery and then hooked up to the Centec without regard for which wire went where...Didn't know it mattered... :dopeslap:

Twisty

Ah...My guess is reversed polarity is the problem..whatever that is... :grin:

When I hooked up my electrical stuff I just hooked up my Centech fuse panel to the battery and then hooked up to the Centec without regard for which wire went where...Didn't know it mattered...

Billy, the side with the fuse in it goes to the positive side..

An easy test (if you are VERY careful) is to test the very center pin in that Gerbings connector.. Use a simple test light hooked to a clean ground on the motorcycle,, then probe the center pin on the Gerbings connector (the light should light).. If the test light lights on the outer metal part of the Gerbings connector it is wired backwards.. Just be careful in your testing if you hit BOTH the inner & outer part of the Gerbings connecter at the same time it will blow the fuse..

Twisty

Twisty/Limecreek

Line from Gerbing's connector with fuse is connected to positive side of Centech..Other line from Gerbing's connecter is connected to ground side of Centech.. With test light grounded to negative battery terminal test light does not light to either inside pin or outside edge of Gerbing's connector. When connected directly to battery with alligator clips Battery Tender works fine. Gerbings works fine when plugged into Gerbings plug as long as key is on. I don't understand why Battery Tender is not working through Gerbings's connector.. Any ideas?

Billy, yep..

“Gerbings works fine when plugged into Gerbings plug as long as key is one”

You need to rewire for the Gerbings connector to be hot all the time even with the key off.. It will never charge through that connector if the key MUST BE ON to power the connector.. That is unless you want to charge with the key on..

Just wire that Gerbings to hook to the positive post of the battery or the always hot side of the Centech.. That should cure your issue..

Twisty

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
Twisty/Limecreek

Gerbings works fine when plugged into Gerbings plug as long as key is on. I don't understand why Battery Tender is not working through Gerbings's connector.. Any ideas?

That has got to be the problem. When you are connecting the battery tender the key is is not on, correct? Therefore that outle is not direct to the battery, but htorugh some switched circuit.

Dang, that Twisty's quick!

Twisty/Limecreek

Gerbings works fine when plugged into Gerbings plug as long as key is on. I don't understand why Battery Tender is not working through Gerbings's connector.. Any ideas?

That has got to be the problem. When you are connecting the battery tender the key is is not on, correct?

The Gerbing's plug is not hot unless the key is on but it seems to me it should still take the Battery Tender even with the key off but apparantly I'm mistaken..

Billy, yep..

“Gerbings works fine when plugged into Gerbings plug as long as key is one”

You need to rewire for the Gerbings connector to be hot all the time even with the key off.. It will never charge through that connector if the key MUST BE ON to power the connector.. That is unless you want to charge with the key on..

Just wire that Gerbings to hook to the positive post of the battery or the always hot side of the Centech.. That should cure your issue..

Twisty

okay..I see the problem...The Centech is wired to only be hot when the key is on..I did it that way to avoid accidentally draining the battery in the event i forgot to turn something off..I guess I'll just not use the Battery Tender unless I'm prepared to remove the seat and hook it up directly which I'll probably never do... :grin:

Thanks guys...ya'll are just damn smart.. :thumbsup:

I have my gerbings connector wired directly to the battery. The gerbings jacket is unplugged when I am off the bike so no need to run it through a switched panel. I have been using a battery tender plus hooked to this connector for years. On the battery tender plus a blinking red light means no continuity to the battery.

Dave

Couple of things about the R1200RT. In the owners manual it states not to directly charge the battery from the battery connected to motorcycle. Disconnect it from the bike then charge. It claims that that it could damage the electrical system.

Also the Canbus system you must turn the key on and then off, if you are using the accessory outlet for charging. If the battery needs to be charge the Canbus will keep the accessory on longer. Doing it right now. Put on the J&M CB intecom and the ignition switch on to test a few today. Just put the bike on the charger, a BMW gel charger, turned the bike on and off, and it still charging. Red light steady and green light blinking. It will switch off once the Canbus system knows the battery is charged to 100%.

I can't find an Odyssey battery listed for my 2005

RT. Which Odyssey battery are you using?

I used the PC680...Not a perfect fit but good enough..

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

What was the problem with "Fit". How did you finally get it in place? I have a PC680 I plan to put in my '05 R1200RT.

Thanks.

What was the problem with "Fit". How did you finally get it in place? I have a PC680 I plan to put in my '05 R1200RT.

Thanks.

It's been a while but it seems like it may have been just a smidgen taller..Not enough to present a problem..However, I may try a Universal..The Odyssey did not help with cold weather cranking..

What do you call cold? I was able to start mine in -5 degrees after sitting outside at work all night. Glad those days are over.

I would have little confidence in my bike starting at tempertures below 20 degrees F.

I just installed the Odessey PC680 in my 2005 RT. Length and width are perfect but it is a little shorter and I had to shim the hold down bracket to lock it down. Seems to work just fine with the BMW charger also. Here in Vancouver BC my BMW dealer wants $264.00 Can. for the stock battery. The Odessey was $167.00 Can.

Here in Vancouver BC my BMW dealer wants $264.00 Can. for the stock battery. The Odessey was $167.00 Can.

And a much better battery to boot.

The last few times I have used the famous BMW battery charger on my 05 RT, the battery drained down. I used the correct procedure to turn on as I always have, charging thru the socket. Talking to the local dealer, they indicate that now they only recommend the Battery Tender plugged direct to the battery. I own two of them but they are 10-12 years old. The tech said that those were trickle chargers and would not work, subsequently causing damage to the gel battery. I have one hooked up to my Harley and it has kept it up for over two yars. He further said that only the ones made in the last couple of years are correct.

Can any body comment on this? I don't want to buy another charger if I don't need to. It's obvious that the Canbus system is blocking the charge somehow. The battery is only 6 months old.

jwurbel, without knowing exactly what 10-12 old chargers you have no way to really know.. For all we know the chargers were already on some stores shelf 5 years before you bought them. That would be before GEL batteries were used for most OEM applications..

My suggestion would be to get the numbers & any dates you can find on the units,, then E-mail or call Deltran & talk with their tec people about the use of those chargers of a new GEL battery..

I wonder what it would take to just convert your special BMW battery charger to direct battery hookup? I don’t own one but doesn’t seem like a big deal to convert that to conventional charger..

Twisty

Archived