final drive and extended warranty question

taters

as you know i had a final drive failure and other things ...cost $4000 the extended warranty paid for it...the service manager said i was lucky as they are in business to make money not shell it out.do you think that if one bought a 1200rt and an extended warranty that the dealer would sign a paper stating that he would take care of all final drive issues for the length of the warranty if all services were performed at his dealership or another if one was on the road when a service came due? this sure would give one piece of mind and i would think a good marketing tool..just a thought....waddya think.....i was in getting a new battery and looking at the 1200 rt...the reason for this post taters

I doubt you're going to get any dealership to sign a paper giving you special privileges or coverage. If you have an extended warranty, then coverage for any repair, including FD failure, will be subject to the terms outlined on the warranty paperwork. Make sure you know what you are buying by reading the fine print.

I wouldn't let the FD concern colour your buying decision too much. The vast majority of final drives are holding up just fine. My own RT has nearly 48K miles and has been completely trouble-free.

Jay

I don't get it either.

Why involve the dealer at all? My extended warranty clearly states it will cover all mechanical problems and that included the final drive. I do have to do the maintenance but I do that anyway.

just a thought fellas. when my final drive went the service manager said i would be lucky to have them cover it. for when it comes to a $4000 bill they have been known to often balk and not pay. mine went at about 70,000 miles. but they did pay for it and the funny thing is the service manager said he was dropping them as they would not honor their warranty in many cases. guess i have friends in high places

Taters, I'm curious what company is your extended warranty from? I just purchased a 4 year, unlimited miles extended warranty for my '05 R1200RT. I did read all the fine print and had an in-depth discussion with my dealer (Atlanta BMW) about coverage and the warranty company's reputation.

I hope this isn't another...hey, a contract underwriter is so bad, my dealer had to tell me they don't pay claims, so I'm telling you, so you can tell someone else...WHEN no one really knows what has happened, if anything. May be the dealer has presented bad claims, may be the dealer is really a new tech that overheard a discussion about warranties and made an unfounded statement? WHO KNOWS? Don't ya just love the internet, for all its good, it sure produces more then its share of ambiguity [an expression whose meaning cannot be determined from its context].

it is from a company called..... aftercare.... they are located in carona del mar ca. they did pick up the $4000 cost. but i had the service manager at sierra bmw in reno tell me they were dropping them as they balked at honoring their obligations.... when he told me that i called bmw in las vegas and got ahold of dale the service manager and he told me to bring the bike in to him. i did and he got them to pay for it....i figure a new rt with extended warranty, aftermarket seat, taxes , set up fees and options and i am lookin at $23000 thats why i am so concerned

I too have Aftercare covering my motorcycle (acquired from Sierra BMW). I also had to go through hoops last year to get my cracked trunk repaired under warranty. It took calls by both Sierra and myself to get Aftercare to pay.

That said, Aftercare did pay ($700+), and I'm happy.

(I can fully understand Sierra dropping Aftercare if every claim becomes labor intensive to get approved!)

i guess mike the only sure way to solve these problems is to get a chain driven bike or a honorable extended warranty company....

But they did "honor" their warranty for you, didn't they?

So which is it?

The do (fact based on your experience) or they don't based on hearsay?

What's your point?

Buy the dang bike, or don't.

based on the service manager of sierra bmw saying they were dropping aftercare as they don't live up to their promises. also read a post from the guy who had trouble with them also...all your sound and fury signifying nothing...you can have the last word as you are not worth the calories of my responding to your personal attacks anymore

Tim, far better to let the little boy worry himself into another mode of transportation. Perhaps a magic carpet would do. :/

Archived