IGNORED

Delay in analog TV shutdown

smiller

Delay in analog TV shutdown

OK, this is idiotic. Expensive, unfair, and probably useless in that if a 90-something percent awareness has been reached then the few percent left living in caves who don't know about this won't know about in June either. Just get it over with already...

Yep, I tried to get a converter coupon but was told they were all sold out. Too bad, I was planning to make a killing re-selling them on ebay.

You know how it works - spend 90% of your time with the 10%'ers.

Everyone gets a trophy, no one left behind, blah, blah, blah. Saw this one coming!

I can hear it now - "Why can't I see Oprah? My donut is going stale and I can't see Oprah. WAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

The only reason I don't want them to delay is that it will cost tax payer money (everything always does) and I'm just sick of hearing about it.

Beyond that, it really doesn't matter to me. I've got better things to worry about. (But if I didn't it would REALLY irk me. I'm just glad I'm busy. :) )

russell_bynum

Hey, this sounds like a great thing for our government to be spending time/money on!

Let's see....War in Iraq, War in Afghanistan, war between Israel and Gaza, general instability in the Middle East, National economic crisis, Global economic crisis, GM bailout, bank/finance bailout, so-called Global Warming, so-called energy shortage, Universal Healthcare, unemployment....but let's put all those inconsequential things aside and focus on the issue that REALLY matters....a handful of people who still haven't switched to digital TV.

Well after chastising everyone for starting 'bitch threads' I guess I went and did it myself... :grin:

But that wasn't my intention, just questioning the logic here. It's almost impossible to ever get the last few percent of anything like this completed, or at least that goal is almost always very expensive and time consuming. On what basis does anyone think another few months will matter much? Making a significant dent would realistically require perhaps another year or so and any expert must know that, making it appear that this is all for show... at the broadcast industry's expense. Not that I necessarily feel for those guys, but still... fair is fair.

I'm sure they're gonna tout the, "We're out of money and can't fund anymore discount converter box coupons.", blues.

Flip the switch already!

russell_bynum
I'm sure they're gonna tout the, "We're out of money and can't fund anymore discount converter box coupons.", blues.

Flip the switch already!

Where is it written that the US government is required to provide TV reception to anyone who wants it for free?

Just get it over with already...

+1. Nothing would spur the procrastinators (oh, is that insensitive? then maybe I mean "erstwhile disenfranchised") into action like having nothing to watch but the ant race on 2/18/2009.

russell_bynum
Just get it over with already...

+1. Nothing would spur the procrastinators (oh, is that insensitive? then maybe I mean "erstwhile disenfranchised") into action like having nothing to watch but the ant race on 2/18/2009.

Yep. And you can bet they'd all go out on 2/18 and buy converter boxes. Bingo....economic stimulus plan.

Well after chastising everyone for starting 'bitch threads' I guess I went and did it myself... :grin:

But that wasn't my intention, just questioning the logic here. It's almost impossible to ever get the last few percent of anything like this completed, or at least that goal is almost always very expensive and time consuming. On what basis does anyone think another few months will matter much? Making a significant dent would realistically require perhaps another year or so and any expert must know that, making it appear that this is all for show... at the broadcast industry's expense. Not that I necessarily feel for those guys, but still... fair is fair.

Seth, when you run things based on placating the lowest common denominator, this is what you get. As to the decision, the government (and I say this bipartisanly) will find itself in a similar position in June, and maybe again in September, and then will convene a Blue Ribbon Panel to find out why they can't seem to reach the last 10%, and the panel will ask for another $150 million to target the laggards, which will probably increase awareness another 2-4 percentage points and then a year from now someone will finally realize what we all know, and just get it done and deal with the ignorant after the fact. Only we'll all be more broke.

And for what? TV? Puhleeeze.

Well I think one claim being made is that people subject to potentially dangerous weather might lose out on tornado tracking broadcasts and such. But even that concern is kind of hollow due to the already-established 'Analog Nightlight' program in which one or more analog channels in each area will be left up for 30 days after February 17th, broadcasting information (24 hrs/day) advising what viewers need to do in order to upgrade, plus any relevant public safety/weather info. So even someone who managed to miss the notifications over the last year won't possibly be able to miss them for yet another 30 days after the cutover. I mean, for cryin' out loud... what is it going to take?

Should someone applying for the coupon weeks before the deadline have to pay full price for a convertor box because the govt failed to allocate enough funds for the program?

Should someone applying for the coupon weeks before the deadline have to pay full price for a convertor box because the govt failed to allocate enough funds for the program?

It would appear that lack of funds may not even be the primary problem.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Well I think one claim being made is that people subject to potentially dangerous weather might lose out on tornado tracking broadcasts and such.

That might be relevant, if it was also mandatory for everyone to leave their TV on at all times, just in case a tornado warning popped up.

Isn't this what those big-ass neighborhood sirens are for?

Well I think one claim being made is that people subject to potentially dangerous weather might lose out on tornado tracking broadcasts and such. But even that concern is kind of hollow due to the already-established 'Analog Nightlight' program in which one or more analog channels in each area will be left up for 30 days after February 17th, broadcasting information (24 hrs/day) advising what viewers need to do in order to upgrade, plus any relevant public safety/weather info. So even someone who managed to miss the notifications over the last year won't possibly be able to miss them for yet another 30 days after the cutover. I mean, for cryin' out loud... what is it going to take?

It's gummint. And we need MORE, DANG IT!!! Please sir, may I have another?

Seriously, that no one saw this coming at the FCC is amazing. You will NEVER reach 100% (or even 95%) of the American public with any message. Less than 75% of the people know who Jeremian Wright is, and only 90% of the people could tell you who Sarah Palin is. And the latter was being either praised or pilloried on every single channel on TV for three months! Some people watch, but they don't see, hear but they don't listen. That's why any further effort is futile. Make your move, take your majority, and sweep up the rest later. And save us some money. Looks like we may need it.

ShovelStrokeEd

Nothing is going to reach everyone. I would be willing to bet my share of the following proposal that less than 90% would apply.

Government provides incentive to switch over to digital reception. $100/family or TV free on application. All you need is proof of purchase of a $40 converter box.

Some people never get it.

Jerry Johnston

The delay comes at a time when we need businesses to succeed. A lot of money has been spent by small dish companies to replace the equipment and get required equipment. They need to start getting a return on their investment which wouldn't have been made if they hadn't been forced into it to begin with. Now we want to delay it for a small percentage of people who won't be ready no matter how long it was delayed?

Isn't that how government works? Provide the greatest services and benefits to the smallest percentage?

No, unless you consider things like national defense, infrastructure, universal education, etc., as only benefiting a small percentage.

Geez I never should have started this thread... I've created a monster... :grin:

Isn't that how government works? Provide the greatest services and benefits to the smallest percentage?

Do you work in an ungrateful town? I appreciate the benefits provided by the service of our law enforcement officers, and believe that I hold a majority opinion on these government employees.

Back on topic: I think the switch should go ahead as planned.

Do you work in an ungrateful town? I appreciate the benefits provided by the service of our law enforcement officers, and believe that I hold a majority opinion on these government employees.

Back on topic: I think the switch should go ahead as planned.

I was just commenting on the lament of many that the delay only benefits the few and clueless about the switchover. The majority of my LEO services serves about 5% of the population. Most of those five percenters are very ungrateful of my services.

I think this is part of the new "No TV left behind" program. :grin:

Next, we'll be asked to fund a testing program to insure all TV's are performing at an acceptable level :)

It's been how long since the announcement? I bet the owners of non 406 EPRB's got less notice and those are used to save lives.

Gimme a break and make the cut. Let's move forward.

The Senate just voted to approve the delay... unanimously. Passage in the House is expected to follow tomorrow.

However from what I read the delay is not mandatory and broadcasters may terminate analog service sooner than June if they choose to.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The Senate just voted to approve the delay... unanimously. Passage in the House is expected to follow tomorrow.

However from what I read the delay is not mandatory and broadcasters may terminate analog service sooner than June if they choose to.

Not mandatory? So...it's just a suggestion? A polite request? :confused:

Does this mean they will be running the information spots on the digital channels in case someone still clueless is over at your house watching TV?

Kind of reminds me of the braille instructions found on the drive-up ATM...

I know... I don't get it either... if not mandatory, what's the point in doing it at all? Seems like a partial conversion with various markets switching on different dates is the way to maximize confusion, not reduce it.

russell_bynum

I know... I don't get it either... if not mandatory, what's the point in doing it at all? Seems like a partial conversion with various markets switching on different dates is the way to maximize confusion, not reduce it.

Incredible....government involvement made something WORSE???

That's just unheard of.

I'm sure it's a one-time thing.

In his acceptance speech, the President called for personal accountability.

If a bill lands on his desk authorizing an extension he will have a a chance to demonstrate his commitment.

russell_bynum
Well it may not get that far... the House just defeated the bill.

It probably didn't have enough pork spending in it.

Not enough pork spending? Too late... HR1 - The Economic Stimulus Bill:

DIGITAL-TO-ANALOG CONVERTER BOX PROGRAM

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, and in addition to amounts otherwise provided in any other Act, for costs associated with the Digital-to-Analog Converter Box Program, $650,000,000, to be available until September 30, 2009...

I'm going to research the Constitution again, but I don't recall any language about guaranteeing TV reception of the Oprah show.

FYI... NASA is only getting $400M.

Mike O

Archived