IGNORED

Certain vehicles get more tickets driver/car?

tallman

A year long study shows that some vehicles get a disproportionate number of tickets.

Are you one of them?

Ticket study

Hummers lead the way.

Camry?

Scion?

We've seen data on car color and ticket incidence.

Now is there a link to the type of vehicle and driver behavior?

Next up, do beemer riders exceed the speed limit more than cruisers... ;)

One could generalize and say that since the hummer drivers are self-absorbed and indifferent to others, they drive more recklessly and thus are ticketed more. But while that may be a contributing factor, I suspect that the really lousy visibility available to the driver of a hummer may have more than a little to do with it.

As to BMWs being more likely to move more quickly than Croozer speeds? Hmmm... I'd have to get a government grant to do a multi-year study to be sure, but my working hypothesis would be: "Duh!"

"Next up, do beemer riders exceed the speed limit more than cruisers... ;) "

I'm sure they/we do. Our bikes are smooth, stable, happy at high speeds. Our sitting positions work better at high speed compared to cruisers. In the times of the infamous 55 mph national speed limit only the cruiser riders (mostly riding a certain very popular brand) were happy, because they could claim they are riding so slow because of the speed limit and not because their bikes feel lousy at higher speeds.

I don't know if this study has any validity, but FWIW I see a lot of Hummers driving pretty fast. In fact, they're among my favorite "rabbits,"--big and conspicuous, they're the ideal vehicle to act as radar bait.

ShovelStrokeEd

Beige Toyota Camry has to be near the bottom of the list.

I like my tan e320 for the same reason. Unless I'm doing something stupid, it just doesn't attract attention. Tootle along happily at 10 over and enjoy the ride.

Porsche doesn't make the list?!? Nor Corvette? Gregori may have a point in that some drivers are relatively clueless on how to reduce their likelihood of being ticketed, and these may be the list leaders. I'm thinking that drivers of sports cars may have a better understanding of how to play the system to their advantage or may be more circumspect in their speed behavior.

ShovelStrokeEd

I love passing 'Vette drivers on my highway trips. Nearly all are just at or maybe 3 over the limit. They know they are driving with a big bull's eye on their bumper. Porsche drivers, not so much.

Myabe I'm way off, but it seems to me that the Hummer would have one of the largest radar cross sections of any non-commercial vehicle. Could that be part of the reason that they get ticketted more? Combine the big flat radar reflecting metal areas with the "type-A" agressive personality that typically drives a Hummer, and you have the best "rabbit" available on the road today. Hide in the radar shadow!

In my case, when I drive my Viper it draws a lot of attention especially from law enforcement. This is what Edmunds.com had to say for the 97 Viper:

Pros: Babe magnet.

Cons: Cop magnet.

In my case, both were very true. I got a lot of tickets due to discrimination. I have even got frisked for dope by a$$hole cops just because I drive a Viper. And this when the car was parked at an outdoor cafe where I was hanging out. And while I don't drive it as much anymore because I have 3 kids, I know the cops are watching.

So to answer your question if there is a link between vehicle and driver behaviour, I believe the cops think there is a link.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I don't know if this study has any validity, but FWIW I see a lot of Hummers driving pretty fast. In fact, they're among my favorite "rabbits,"--big and conspicuous, they're the ideal vehicle to act as radar bait.

I finished the book "Traffic" recently. The author suggests that vehicles in which the driver's head is very high above the road tend to be driven faster because the driver experiences a reduced perception of speed. Taken to ridiculous extremes - say, cruising at 30,000 feet, at 600 MPH - this seems to hold true, as the ground doesn't "feel" like it's going by very quickly.

This may explain why SUV's in general tend to be driven faster than average. Big-rig drivers are perhaps less susceptible to this phenomenon due to professional training, corporate rules, and/or more serious consequences (i.e. career-related) if they do get busted for speeding; they may be compelled to make a greater effort than most to watch the speedometer instead of the terrain.

Not an exact survey but a good guestimate of who is ticketed out there is what is common on the roadway. Toyota's, Honda's, Nissan's and Mazda's are as numerous as grains of beach sand here in kailfornia. That's what get's pulled over in my book.

Now that Hummer is politically incorrect, they are seldom seen anymore.

My LIDAR cannot discriminate vehicle make or color.

I finished the book "Traffic" recently. The author suggests that vehicles in which the driver's head is very high above the road tend to be driven faster because the driver experiences a reduced perception of speed. Taken to ridiculous extremes - say, cruising at 30,000 feet, at 600 MPH - this seems to hold true, as the ground doesn't "feel" like it's going by very quickly.

This may explain why SUV's in general tend to be driven faster than average. Big-rig drivers are perhaps less susceptible to this phenomenon due to professional training, corporate rules, and/or more serious consequences (i.e. career-related) if they do get busted for speeding; they may be compelled to make a greater effort than most to watch the speedometer instead of the terrain.

I would also explain why I can't stand driving an SUV. I feel so disconnected (and like I'm going to tip over at the next curve...)

My '86 635Csi had the perfect ride height for my tastes - except of course speed bumps.

The article didn't say it was speeding tickets, just tickets. Maybe when following too close, failure to avoid, and others are considered, some of the percentages make better sense.

Problem is I have seen no tickets issued for driving offenses except speeding (mostly) and red light/stop sign running. Tailgating, agressive lane changing, no turn signal usage, seems to go mostly unpunished. There are also tickets if a fender bender is involved.

It says pickups are one of the least likely to get a ticket.

But that doesn't make them safe - I wrecked EVERY single pickup I've owned :dopeslap:

Twice, the collison was very hard and I was lucky to alive, but I was never hurt, once - nor the friends in the back of the pickup :eek:

Archived