IGNORED

Dunlop D220 @ $140 / set?

krussell

A local shop is closing out Dunlop D220 tires. $80 for rear, $40 for the front. I searched a bit and there are various comments about wear in the 3k-4k mi range. The price seems to compensate for the short life, I was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts on these tires? I'm tempted to go buy two sets instead of a single set of PR2s.

I really like them, but; they do not last that long. Mine lasted 4000 miles on average and the rear was done. front still had some left but it wasn't worth holding out for the extra 500 - 750 miles on it.

I'd go for it.

ShovelStrokeEd

I would check the date on those tires. I don't like mounting tires that are over a year or so old (deterioration as the rubber ages). Less of an issue if they were stored in a climate controlled enviornment but still.

Last D220's I mounted were on my K12RS and they were absolute crap, couldn't wait to get them off the bike. They did provide a cushy ride but turn-in was trucky and traction wasn't all that wonderful.

"I don't like mounting tires that are over a year or so old (deterioration as the rubber ages)."

I think that's a bit conservative. Most tires on a brand new bike in the showroom are over a year old. My line is about 5 years. Once on my bike they don't get much older.

How to tell age of a tire: The last 4 digits of the DOT number on the side of the tire are the date of manufacture in weeks and year. wwyy

I would check the date on those tires. I don't like mounting tires that are over a year or so old (deterioration as the rubber ages). Less of an issue if they were stored in a climate controlled enviornment but still.

Last D220's I mounted were on my K12RS and they were absolute crap, couldn't wait to get them off the bike. They did provide a cushy ride but turn-in was trucky and traction wasn't all that wonderful.

+1--worst tires of 3 different brands I used on my RT. The only good thing was that they didn't last long. 1st set of Pilot Roads, I thought I had a different bike because turn in and stability--and wear--was so much improved.

Thanks for all the input, after thinking about it a bit more, I'm going to pass. Factor in the life and they aren't really that great of a deal.

AdventurePoser

How to tell age of a tire: The last 4 digits of the DOT number on the side of the tire are the date of manufacture in weeks and year. wwyy

Paul, Thank you! All these years I've been cutting my tires in half to count the rings....

Steve in So Cal

Paul, Thank you! All these years I've been cutting my tires in half to count the rings....

Steve in So Cal

Steve,

Not necessary.

They already have a hole in the middle, so all you have to do is turn the tire inside out to get to the rings.

Steve,

Not necessary.

They already have a hole in the middle, so all you have to do is turn the tire inside out to get to the rings.

What a time saver! Now I can stop peering inside my tires looking for teeth to count.

:)

Jay

"I don't like mounting tires that are over a year or so old (deterioration as the rubber ages)."

I think that's a bit conservative. Most tires on a brand new bike in the showroom are over a year old. My line is about 5 years. Once on my bike they don't get much older.

Interesting. My PR2s that I am replacing are 1508 front and 1408 rear. My Dunlop Roadsmarts I am replacing them with arrived today, they are 4407 front and 2008 rear. Roadsmarts were ordered from sw moto yesterday, the PR2s came from my local BMW dealer last August.

These tires came stock on our 2008 RT-Ps. Not one of our bikes made it to 3,000 mi on a rear, and the fronts only had a few miles left in them at that point too.

Our other complaints about them were the two rain grooves right up the middle on the front tire... makes the front end dance when on grooved concrete.

Rear tire traction was ok, but not as good as with the Road Smarts we switched to.

Archived