IGNORED

Brake grease

UA342

I have a question. I'm about to change my brake pads for the first time on my 05 12RT. I've ordered the pads and they should be arriving soon. My question is about brake grease. My shop CD says to apply Never Seez only to the backing plate and the trailing end face of the backing plate. Are they refering to the backing plate of the new pad? What exactly is the trailing end face? I"m assuming the trailing end is the side of the pad that last touches the disk on it's rotation. If so, what is the face?

Please excuse my ignorance. I've done numerous searches here and other places.

I have a question. I'm about to change my brake pads for the first time on my 05 12RT. I've ordered the pads and they should be arriving soon. My question is about brake grease. My shop CD says to apply Never Seez only to the backing plate and the trailing end face of the backing plate. Are they refering to the backing plate of the new pad? What exactly is the trailing end face? I"m assuming the trailing end is the side of the pad that last touches the disk on it's rotation. If so, what is the face?

Please excuse my ignorance. I've done numerous searches here and other places.

Harrington, I never paid much attention to the service manual when it comes to brake pad installation so after reading what you wrote I just looked in my 1200 service manual..

Yep, your are correct it is confusing isn’t it?

I think what we are looking at is a misprint (or more likely mis translation)..

I think (my educated guess anyhow) is it should say the leading edge & the trailing edge.. That is where I would personally lube them anyhow.. That is the VERY edge of the metal pad backing steel plate where it would contact the inside of the caliper as it moves in the caliper.. I always sparingly lube the pad retention pin also (very little lube just a very thin layer)

If you use a high nickel anti-seeze use very little of that, makes sure it is a high heat anti-seeze.. Keep it off you hands & gloves.. You don’t want t to transfer ANY of anti-seeze to the friction surface of those brake pads..

Twisty

ShovelStrokeEd

A good way to apply this kind of stuff, anti-seize and the like is to put some between your fingers (rubber gloves) and then rub it around on your fingers till it makes a film. Then rub the finger on the part. It is a lot easier this way to apply just a film, which is all that is necessary.

Ed, I usually just use a Q tip (or 2 or 4).. Very disposable,, won’t contaminate my gloves or hands or brake material,, allows precise placement of the grease on the very edge of the pad ..

Plus a biggie is; if someone is watching they think I know what I’m doing as I am using some sort of medical equipment..

Twisty

Archived