IGNORED

ABS fault/bike won't start/rock back and forth/all well

kcscout

So, tonight I hop on my 2000 R1100RT (20k miles) to ride home from work. I start the bike, engine's running and get an ABS fault. Fine, it's been cold. That's happened before.

I turn the bike off, wait 10 seconds and then key it up to restart. ABS flashes normal. When I push the starter button. I hear click, click, click. I then notice that the HID is dark.

I do this little dance with the bike a couple more times - off, on, starter, ABS lights good, no HID, click before I dismount and start pulling fusing. I figure, okay - something's screwy and maybe this will reset whatever that something is.

Get back on the bike, turn the key to start, no HID, click. I double check the sidestand - it's up. I'm dismissing the idea of a dead battery. I keep it on a tender and my lights are shining bright.

While still in start, I roll the bike back and forth. HID lights up. Bike starts like normal.

Any thoughts as to what happened? All answers are valid, since I have no idea.

So, tonight I hop on my 2000 R1100RT (20k miles) to ride home from work. I start the bike, engine's running and get an ABS fault. Fine, it's been cold. That's happened before.

I turn the bike off, wait 10 seconds and then key it up to restart. ABS flashes normal. When I push the starter button. I hear click, click, click. I then notice that the HID is dark.

I do this little dance with the bike a couple more times - off, on, starter, ABS lights good, no HID, click before I dismount and start pulling fusing. I figure, okay - something's screwy and maybe this will reset whatever that something is.

Get back on the bike, turn the key to start, no HID, click. I double check the sidestand - it's up. I'm dismissing the idea of a dead battery. I keep it on a tender and my lights are shining bright.

While still in start, I roll the bike back and forth. HID lights up. Bike starts like normal.

Any thoughts as to what happened? All answers are valid, since I have no idea.

kcscout, well, with the RID being out that could possibly point to kill switch,, or possibly the key only being partially on.. Should eliminate clutch or neutral switch as those don’t kill the RID..

My guess would be the kill switch partially moved to off & you bumped it while rocking the bike..

I’m not sure if the kickstand switch would kill the RID or not..

Try it again to see if you can duplicate the problem will the key partially on,, or the kill switch partially off,, or the kick stand down..

Did the headlight go out when you tried pushing the starter button?

That’s a strange problem so see if you can duplicate it with different things..

Twisty

First off, thanks for the correction RID vs. HID without making me feel stupid... I get enough of that from my friends and family. ;-)

Second, just played with the bike and it appears as though the kill switch is the culprit. I turned on the bike and pushed it left then back to center ... all is good except RID. Pushed to right and then center ... all is good except RID. Wiggle it just a little and RID lights up.

Seems like I have a sensitive/dirty kill switch. Which, isn't much of a problem - unless it jiggles while in motion.

Are these easy to clean?

they are, and better to fix it while you can do it in comfort, rather than being stranded (happened to me, same problem..

Take the switch of the handlebar (one screw, on the underside of the switch housing.

turn it over and you will see the back of the kill switch/starter button. Remove the circlip and you can remove the parts. I'm not sure if there are any loose parts in there, so just be careful.

Clean off al the green stuff you most likely find, grease a bit, reassemble and you should be back in bussines.

HTH, Daniël

they are, and better to fix it while you can do it in comfort, rather than being stranded (happened to me, same problem..

Sounds simple enough and a worthy weekend to-do. Thanks!

First off, thanks for the correction RID vs. HID without making me feel stupid... I get enough of that from my friends and family. ;-)

Second, just played with the bike and it appears as though the kill switch is the culprit. I turned on the bike and pushed it left then back to center ... all is good except RID. Pushed to right and then center ... all is good except RID. Wiggle it just a little and RID lights up.

Seems like I have a sensitive/dirty kill switch. Which, isn't much of a problem - unless it jiggles while in motion.

Are these easy to clean?

kcscout, try using the kill switch a little more often.. The contacts seem to get oxidized over time & lack of use.. Maybe just using it more will clean the contact area & make it less sensitive.. I know my old GoldWing had a very sensitive kill switch so I started using that to turn the engine off & it pretty well went back to normal..

Twisty

Archived