IGNORED

Front Brake Rotors

outpost22

Just had my front wheel bearings replaced by my dealer at 56K miles as a precaution on the RT. From what I've read this can be an easy job or a real be-och. Well at least I called this one right. My dealer said it was the worst one they've done yet ;) I'm glad I didn't have to fight with this one.

Now to my question. The front rotors have a "standard" new thickness of 4.9-5.1 mm per my Haynes manual. Mine are at 4.9 mm. Replacement minimums are 4.5 mm. Is this highly unusual to have a 56K bike and still have the rotors at "standard" spec? BTW, my dealer did the measuring on this. I expected with the amount of 2-up riding I do that the brake wear/rotors would suffer abnormal wear due to high gross weights. Just curious how this compares with others experiences?

Is this highly unusual to have a 56K bike and still have the rotors at "standard" spec?

No, not at all. My front rotors (also on an 1100RT) are less than halfway to the service limit even at 105k miles.

Is this highly unusual to have a 56K bike and still have the rotors at "standard" spec?

Another sample. At 109K miles, the front rotors on my '02 RT are still at 4.7 mm. I'm on my second set of BMW front pads, with set number 3 sitting on the shelf and waiting, like the maytag repairman. Rears are still on their first set of pads.

I do my own measuring.

Stan

I envy you guys. At 90K, I'm right at the service limit and am getting ready to replace all three rotors. What's odd is that almost all my riding is 1 up and I'm not an aggressive rider. (I save that for the sport bike) This will also be my third set of pads.

I do try to ride whenever possible which means I sometimes ride in the winter when the roads are still full of sand and salt residue. Maybe this has contributed to my wear.

I envy you guys. At 90K, I'm right at the service limit and am getting ready to replace all three rotors.

I know others have got more out of their rotors than you. For goodness sake - Stan is still on his original rear pads - and he knows he winds me up every time he mentions how far he gets out of tyres and pads.

But, in the scale of things and general cost of ownership. a new set of discs at that mileage isn't too much to bear, is it?

I mean, it could have been a gearbox shaft at 50K, an FD at 35K, but just 3 discs which are available 2nd hand with plenty of life on them.

Keep smiling.

Andy

Anyone got a good aftermarket pad that bites in harder? The factory ones just don't cut it on my R1100GS. Brake fluid fully changed including ABS. No air in the system. (I am a mechanic by trade) New master last year. Oh, forgot to add I have full stainless lines front and rear.

Anyone got a good aftermarket pad that bites in harder? The factory ones just don't cut it on my R1100GS. Brake fluid fully changed including ABS. No air in the system. (I am a mechanic by trade) New master last year. Oh, forgot to add I have full stainless lines front and rear.

Jason, you sure your OEM pads are not glazed or contaminated? Those stock front pads should be able to lock the front wheel.. Or are you seeing a fading problem after repeated high speed stops?

In any case a good HH pad should give you plenty of rotor grip when hot but might be a little less forgiving when cold & will definitely wear your rotors faster..

Twisty

Could be the prior two owners....the bike got limited miles in it's first 9 years. They appear to be clean and glaze free but you never know what was on them at some point in the past and what was cleaned off.....

I need to do something other than remove everything from the bike to make it lighter! Maybe loose some weight.....lol...yeah, right....

Jason,

From everything I've read, the EBC pads are the way to go. They have a double H pad that is supposed to provide more bite (both initial and sustained) than the factory pads. Go to their web site www.ebcbrakes.com and they have an extensive parts list for almost every bike ever made. I'm getting ready to replace rotors and pads and am going to use the double H's on my RT. I've used EBC pads in the past on my sportbike and was very pleased with them.

Take a look over here to find an aftermarket set of rotors for your BMW, that should be less expensive than the OEM's.

Jerry,

Thanks for the tip. Some time back I found a lightly used set on Ebay for a reasonable price. They're in really good shape and mike out around 4.8 - 4.9mm. As a precaution, I replaced the washers and "E" clops as a few of them looked rusty. The buttons felt tight however.

Thanks Wayne,

I was looking at EBC's as well. Think I might just try them. Don't need rotors at 30K so I'll just stick with the pads for now.

Archived