IGNORED

Reliability of R1200RT?

PabloH3

I've been doing some hard thinking about buying a new or late model 1200RT. From what I see on some of the forums, I am worried about the reliability of the RT and the overall cost of maintenance. I am not much of a mechanic myself. I currently own a Kawasaki Nomad and it has been a great bike, requiring very little maintenance, and I don't want to buy myself a bunch of headaches with a new bike

Don't judge a bike by what you read on any forum... the internet is where owners WITH PROBLEMS go for help or to vent. The 1200RT is a very reliable bike.

As far as cost of maintance, every 6k miles the bike needs an oil chance and the valve clearances checked. Every 12k miles it needs the same, plus tranny oil and final drive oil changed.

The dealers are very proud of their work... you could save a lot by finding a reputable local motorcycle mechanic... or if you're willing to put in just a small amount of effort, this forum has all the info you need to learn to do it yourself. The maintance really is very easy on these bikes to do yourself.

Do a search for Jim VonBaden (hope I spelled that right). He has published a DVD specific to the R1200 motor that will guide you step by step through the maintance... great for beginners.

+1

Any machine can break down. Taking the bathtub curve into account I would not hesitate to buy a late model R12RT that had all maintenance documentation in line.

Attend a tech day in your local and you'll be amazed how easy most of the work is.

BMW as a pretty stricked maintenance schedule to go with warranty that gets a bit pricey, As for reliablity the forums make RT's look like lemons but I think thats because people only write to complain nobody writes to say everything is fine. This was my first summer with my new RT (my sixth bike over 25 years) it was the most fun best riding motorcycle I have ever owned, I fell in love with the torque and personality of the flat twin engine, the nimble handling is a pleasure and the braking inspires confidence. On a sunday ride I would travel 300 miles on one tank of fuel spending a whole day in the saddle and feel great (could'nt do that on the Valkyrie.) So I don't put one many miles by BMW standards but the 6000 miles I did do were trouble free and the best ever and the money I saved on gas more than paid for the maintenance.

I bought my 05 RT with 21k miles on it from the original owner. He said the bike has had 0 problems and had all the documentation showing the service by the local dealer. I confirmed its history at my local dealer where they told me the bikes history was clean as a wistle. So far I have about 1-2k miles on it myself and so far so good. Too early for me to tell but it seems that the reliability of the 1200RT is pretty good and better than previous models. But, hey there all mechanical and they will all break. I had more issues with my late model honda so the japanese bikes arent perfect.

I´m ridin -05 model, 9k since new - no problems.

Few minor issues changed under warranty but thats normal when you buy the first model year products.

Great bike!

Rocket_Cowboy

FWIW, I've got an '06 RT with 42K miles on it ... nothing more than basic services at the 6k intervals and tires. It's been more reliable for me than the Honda it replaced.

I've got an 07 RT with 48K miles on it. Although it's never left me stranded, I've had three oil seals replaced, an EWS replacement, an brake calipher rebuild, and a headlight housing replacement. Fortunately, everything was done under warranty with the last seal reoplacement done under the extended warranty I purchased. I'm not usually one to buy extended warranties, especially third party ones but in the case of the RT, I'm glad I did.

The 05 R1200RT I picked up in October has about 44K miles on it now. I have the full maintenance record. Zero problems and zero service, other than the recommended maintenance schedule. I do my own maintenance, so I expect to spend some time and maybe a bit of money on this bike at 48K.

If you buy a used bike, have a dealer give it the once over, and/or buy low mileage with a full service history, and you should be good to go. Some things like shocks and tires wear out more frequently than with a car, and cost some $$$, but other than that, you should find the RT cost effective.

The RT is a sweet ride. Just the normal maintenance on mine. Very dependable and great on long trips. The miles just roll by. Great handling, good power, and comfortable.

Don't judge a bike by what you read on any forum... the internet is where owners WITH PROBLEMS go for help or to vent. The 1200RT is a very reliable bike.

This gets to the heart of it. People only ask for advice when they have a problem. And they only vent their spleen when there's spleen to vent. What you lack when you read forums is a denominator. That is, 16 people have posted about their failed, oh I don't know, valve stems. Sixteen is a numerator, but how many valve stem owners are there (the denominator)? And how many have really failed (the true numerator)? All you can say for sure is that 16 people, total strangers to you, wrote about failed valve stems.

I don't know about reliability, either, but my 2000 RT has never required anything except routine maintenance. Build quality and reliability are only peripherally related, but BMW is head and shoulders above most others in that department. Compare your average 20-year-old Beemer to a 20-year-old Honda or, worse yet, Yamaha, and you'll see a world of difference.

There are legitimate reasons to buy something else (price, resale value, spotty dealer network, . . . .), but I wouldn't make this decision over reliability concerns.

I have a 20-year-old Honda (HawkGT) with 48,000 miles, and based on the service records that came with my RT, the Honda has required both less maintenance and fewer parts. Other than consumables and chains and sprockets, it's had a new clutch cable, developed a fork seal leak at 20,000 miles, and I replaced the neutral switch. I also upgraded the suspension. Unlike the BMW, the swingarm pivot bearing has not developed any free play. As soon as it warms up a little, I'm going to replace the needle bearings on the BMW with Rubber Chicken sintered bronze bushings.

I put 33K on my '05RT prior to trading it for the superior KGT. :) My '05 didn't burn oil, got great gas mileage, handled well and didn't have any problems at all---none.

That's what I meant by "build quality and reliability are only peripherally related." As a rule, old Hondas have faded and chipped paint, peeling decals, wiggly fasteners and look much worse than old BMWs. My kids have a serviceable 1986 VFR. I'd rather it was a 1986 R100RS. The BMW was a nicer bike in 1986 and it's a much nicer bike now. That's all I'm sayin'....

We have 9 1200 RTPs for duty. They are 07s which we got in March of 07. Each one continues to work every day with out a problem. High mileage is 11K on of the bikes, I know not high, but for a RTP chasing down violators, that is high mileage. They have not skipped a beat.

BMWs are really no different than other brands. Most bikes are good with few problems. Some do have problems and a very small number have chronic problems. If you are not unlucky you will have a great trouble free bike if you decide to get the R1200RT. Mine has 71k and has been the most trouble free bike I have ever owned. I've been riding since 1982 and have owned 7 BMWs. My hex RT has been the cheapest to maintain too. I do perform my own maintenance so costs are limited to oil, filters, etc. By far the biggest expense I have are tires. I go through them way too fast. :grin:

No Problems with mine, other than lack of time to get out and realy ride her... Basic services are required that you can do yourself in an afternoon every 6to12k with a little practice, and the smiles are worth the work when your toolin' down the road.

My take on all the 'noise' for the RT is it is one of the most reliable BMW models in recent years. It is fair, IMO, to say that some models have more problems than others.

Brand-to-brand, my opinion is you pay more for a BMW but you are NOT buying better reliability, you're buying their design philosophy and style. That's a change from the earliest airhead days, where BMW was clearly superior in almost every measurable way. Ordinarily you'd be 'safer' buying a Honda but several screw-ups in recent years (GL1800's come to mind, several nasty early flaws) gives pause even there.

Mine is wonderful. 2005 R1200RT

Problems in 3 years are headlamp bulbs and fuel tank sender. If you want to get real picky then add in the rubber bumpers falling off that keep the windshield from clicking when all the way down.

The Boxer Cup has needed a front shock replaced because the preload adjuster was stuck and a battery.

The X-Moto had a battery fail at 1600 miles.

The real problem is tires - I keep wearing them out :rofl:

The real problem is tires - I keep wearing them out :rofl:

Exactly. :Cool:

damn, I thought I was the only one with that problem. Normally I just sell the bike at that point and get something new.

So, I just bought a slightly used (600 mi.) '09 RT and got a quote of $1050 for an extended warranty (4 more years or + 48,000 miles added on to the 3/36,000 - a total of 7 yrs./84,000 miles). haven't seen the fine print but assume it mimics the base factory warranty.

Is that a good use of my funds?

RB

The insurance company would say it is. ;)

Take that money and put it in an interest bearing account you will use as reserves against any future non warranty repair items.

So, I just bought a slightly used (600 mi.) '09 RT and got a quote of $1050 for an extended warranty (4 more years or + 48,000 miles added on to the 3/36,000 - a total of 7 yrs./84,000 miles). haven't seen the fine print but assume it mimics the base factory warranty.

RB

I normally don't think extended warranties are a good deal but I purchased one for my RT and am glad I did - it's already paid out a couple of hundred dollars in repair. My extended waranty effectivly turned the factory 3year/36000 mile warranty into a 5 year/unlimited miles warranty. I think the cost/benefits may depend on how much you ride per year; I was past the 36K of the factory in 18 months so an additional 3-1/2 years of warranty for less than $900 seemed like a good deal to me.

I paid about that for a +3 year policy on my '05.

I do not know (yet) if it was a good financial decision but I DO know it was a good personal/comfort decision. I did read the fine print and I feel good about what I purchased.

The factory warranty stopped in '08... and I am still good for 3 more. No worries and that "no worries" is worth the money to me.

IMO, buy the extended warranty.

I'm shooting 50%... My R1100-RT was the most unreliable bike I have owned, but no extended service contract. My R1200-RT has been nearly flawless. Replaced headlight bulbs, windshield bumpers and...

just into the extended warranty period (exceeded 36K miles) the rear trunk bottom cracked. Extended warranty covered repair. 75% payback already (as opposed to losing 30-50% if it had been invested...).

AdventurePoser
I've been doing some hard thinking about buying a new or late model 1200RT. From what I see on some of the forums, I am worried about the reliability of the RT and the overall cost of maintenance. I am not much of a mechanic myself. I currently own a Kawasaki Nomad and it has been a great bike, requiring very little maintenance, and I don't want to buy myself a bunch of headaches with a new bike

I have owned a 96 GS, 98R1100 RT, an 02 1150 RT, and now a 1200RT. I have not had one major problem in about 210,000 miles riding any of these bikes. All mechanical things can break, but you need to take what you read on these forums with a bit of a reality check. Remember the old saying, "The bridge that falls makes a thousand times more noise than the one that stands." Buying a BMW is not a guarantee that your motorcycle experience will be trouble free, but with proper maintenance you should have a bike that lasts for years...

I am not a mechanic either, but there are so many on this board who will help you learn to do your own services. You will save lots of money and learn more about your ride as well. I say go for it!! :clap:

Steve

30k on my '06 R12RT. Problems so far:

- fuel sensor strip (replaced under warranty)

- transmission seal leak and fouled cluth plate(fixed under warranty)

I purchased extended warranty just in case but in retrospect probably should have invested the money.

I have only 12k on my 06 but so far no problems except on 3rd set of tires.

My warranty is up now and will have to deceide soon.

When I once got and extended warranty (3rd party) on a car with 2 years factory warranty still on it it turned out the warranty was not an addtl 5 years as I thought but 5 years from time of purchase ie another 3 after factory warranty ran out. It was all fine except that the radiator cracked a few days before warranty ran out and car went into shop but did not get worked on until warranty was over......they did cover it after a lot of going back and forth.

A great bike, just not time enough to ride.

I have only 12k on my 06 but so far no problems except on 3rd set of tires.

My warranty is up now and will have to deceide soon.

When I once got and extended warranty (3rd party) on a car with 2 years factory warranty still on it it turned out the warranty was not an addtl 5 years as I thought but 5 years from time of purchase ie another 3 after factory warranty ran out. It was all fine except that the radiator cracked a few days before warranty ran out and car went into shop but did not get worked on until warranty was over......they did cover it after a lot of going back and forth.

A great bike, just not time enough to ride.

If it took you three years to get 12K on your RT, an extended warranty probably isn't worth it for you unless you're going to start riding a lot more.

I appreciate all the responses, which raise two more questions. 1. If you do your own routine maintenance like oil changes and valve adjustments, will there be any issue regarding voiding the warranty. 2. How can you go through 3 sets of tires in 12K miles. Is there a problem with the bike, or the tires? Thanks.

I appreciate all the responses, which raise two more questions. 1. If you do your own routine maintenance like oil changes and valve adjustments, will there be any issue regarding voiding the warranty. 2. How can you go through 3 sets of tires in 12K miles. Is there a problem with the bike, or the tires? Thanks.

1. Shouldn't be. Not if done correctly and documented.

2. The problem for the tires has been isolated to be primarily an issue with the throttle. :thumbsup:

I have 36K miles on my 07 1200RT. Had one major electrical problem last winter where the shop had to keep it for almost two months. They even flew a surgeon in from the east coast to work on it. They ended up replacing everything you could think of including the brain. It works perfectly now! I even got two months of payments back in cash. When I bought the bike I purchased the extended warranty to give me piece of mind. As for reliability, I would say it is very reliable. Even with the electrical problem last winter, I would trust taking my bike anywhere.

As far as cost of maintance, every 6k miles the bike needs an oil chance and the valve clearances checked. Every 12k miles it needs the same, plus tranny oil and final drive oil changed.

The dealers are very proud of their work... you could save a lot by finding a reputable local motorcycle mechanic... or if you're willing to put in just a small amount of effort, this forum has all the info you need to learn to do it yourself. The maintance really is very easy on these bikes to do yourself.

Do a search for Jim VonBaden (hope I spelled that right). He has published a DVD specific to the R1200 motor that will guide you step by step through the maintance... great for beginners.

Scott, Thanks! The website for Jim Von Baden is:

http://www.marcparnes.com/BMW_R1200_Maintenance_Video.htm

I just ordered a DVD over the phone.

Thanks again, Paul

Archived