IGNORED

Best Gas Economy Bike

Chunky

Pepper, the 06 GS 650 gets 61-63 mpg on my daily commute, never getting out of 4th gear and using regular, and on trips where I get to use 5th, she gets at least 70, and sometimes more. Best on 395 in the eastern Sierras was 77. Put knobbies on and you are good for snow. (I think)

I'm supposed to pick up the Rocket Wednesday, New Years Eve. The forecast has rain in it so I won't be riding far. I'll be checking for a window of opportunity New Years Day or the following weekend to ring out "The Beast".

Joe Frickin' Friday
What would be your choice for the best economy bike? And....it will run in the snow.

444973137_hCvFQ-M.jpg

Well, as power and weight go, that's the equivalent of a 50-cc scooter. But I wonder about the efficiency of dogs. Wikipedia pegs muscle efficiency at 14-27% (comparable to a scooter engine running WOT), but this is for slower, more efficient motion of rowing or cycling; running is not so good. I'd bet this powertrain is about 10% efficient.

Not only that, but on a per-unit-energy basis, I'd bet that dog food costs more than gasoline.

The flip side is that a dog-drawn chariot like that looks pretty fun - and no scooter can possibly smile like those dogs are! :grin:

Well, I rode 22 miles on my bicycle on Sunday. I burned approx. 1500 extra calories beyond what I would sitting on my a**. I figue that on average, at least $3-5 in additional food. That's puts me pretty far down the economy scale.

Fortunately excercise if good for you, so hte costs can be largly ignored.

So while a bicycle seems to be "free". A moped or scooter will be much more economical assuming you don't NEED the exercise.

I second the recommendation on the F650GS.

I was riding through the Colorado rockies this summer fully loaded with side bags and camping gear at 9000 feet elevation, and getting 75 MPG.

I have it figured out that if I am doing 60 MPH on the freeway I get about 65 MPG.

If I am doing 45 - 55 MPH on secondary roads, I average 75 MPG.

The bike gets amazing fuel economy.

Chunky,

I can tell you that the Rocket III is NOT on the list! Mine only posted an average fuel economy of c. 32 mpg! I began referring to the right-hand twist grip as the "fuel dump!" :D

I'm supposed to pick up the Rocket Wednesday, New Years Eve. The forecast has rain in it so I won't be riding far. I'll be checking for a window of opportunity New Years Day or the following weekend to ring out "The Beast".

You sure chose a crummy weather year to pick up a new bike on New Year's Eve. Does anyone make outriggers for Triumphs? :grin:

BTW, have you gotten any of the snow we've seen on the national news lately? Dress warm, drive safe and have a great New Year.

Archived