IGNORED

r1100rt malady

mclayton

have strange problem,bike has 65k miles. serviced regularly. over the last year has stranded me four times. on three occassions the bike had been run to operating temp. and stopped for thirty minutes to one hour and the engine will turn over, but wont crank. the local dealer has set the valves,throttle boddies and checked the fuel filter. it has a new battery and the hall sensor has been replaced. it quit last saturday running 70 mph. it lurched and died. on all occassions 8-10 hours later it will crank and run fine. any suggestions.

Mine did this once, never found the problem. Just riding along at a steady 70 mph and the engine quits just like I hit the kill switch. It cranked but would not fire, had side stand up, fuel pump heard and RID was functioning. Had it towed home and a few hours later it starts up like nothing happened. I found the ground a bit loose on the battery, that's it. Coincidentally it happened 50 miles after a HES repair so I thought that had something to do with it. Never happened again so I dunno.

Joe Frickin' Friday

spark, fuel, or air - if it ain't running, one of 'em is missing. It's a fair bet the engine is getting the air it wants, so check for the other two items:

-pull a plug wire, stuff a spare spark plug into it, ground the plug threads to bare metal somewhere on the bike, and hit the starter.

-pull an injector out of the throttle body (leave fuel hose clipped in place on it), and crank the engine to see if it sprays fuel.

Only other thing I can suggest is to check on the throttle position sensor (on RH throttle body). try removing/reinserting the connector to make sure you've got a good connection.

Check to see if the failure is occurring in conjunction with handlebar movement. You will sometimes break a wire in the ignition harness that will cause your symptoms.

clayton, pretty well covered by the posters above..

Will just add a little more here..

First off—any chance you hear vacuum or air flow type wooshing sound when opening your fuel fill cap after a long ride? If so,, look for a plugged evap canister,, or mis connected fuel tank venting hoses.. The BMW has a fairly high pressure pump so can usually overcome a tank venting problem up to a point but once all the venting is gone it either has to crush the fuel tank or quit supplying fuel.. Would probably show up as difficult starting after a long ride first..

Next- if you have an aftermarket fuel controller like a Techlusion or other fuel controller completely disconnect that as those type controllers can get moisture in them & cause a very similar problem to what you are seeing.. If you find that as the problem call the manufacturer of your fuel controller as they will usually replace for free with a later sealed board type unit..

Twisty

Twisty, thanks for the suggestions. I havent checked the venting or cannister. when the bike stops, it stops abruptly as if it was switched off. I would think the venting and cannister problem would be a more gradual stoppage, ie: sputtering, surging etc. I dont have a techlusion. the plugs are wet so fuel is getting to them. have you had a problem with venting? if so, what were the symptoms?

I had a coil fail on my 97. At about 120k, riding home in the rain. While getting off of the freeway, the bike stutters twice, then catches. About 1.5 miles later dead, no spark. HES had been rebuilt about 30k previously. Turned out coil was totaly dead. No cracks or discoloration, it just failed. None of the dealers in Colorado had one, so it must not be a real common failure. The only way I could be sure was to install a new one. Around $100 as I recall. It sits under the fuel tank, just behind the steering head.

I had the exact same thing Twisty talked about on the fuel canister. What he says about the rush of air when opening the fuel fill is a very good indication. I pulled the tubes off the canister and the bike ran fine after that. I then did a canisterectomy per instructions and no more problems except that I had to repair the crushed fuel gauge sender (A real PIA).

Archived