IGNORED

New Autocom partial brochures

Todd_Z1

I see that the Autocom UK site has partial brochures out along with general release time frames for the new products. I personally don't get the Logic Independence. It is still a fully wired solution from the hub to the headset and from the hub to other accessories, like music, radar and B2B radio. If the goal is to be able to put this unit in your pocket then you still need to interface the MP3 player, radar detector and B2B radio using cables. The Optional Bluetooth module apparently does not support anything but cell phones and GPS BT units. I can see where the B2B radio could be in your pocket since it is apparently operated via VOX. But that still leaves the MP3 player, radar detector and a third accessory, all wired with cables to the hub. Where would you put these items? I am trying to understand what problem this particular unit is trying to solve. The rider to passenger wireless is nice but where is a true wireless hub to hub solution? Why not design a bike powered Bluetooth hub for your accessories that communicates to a battery operated headset hub that also has Bluetooth and interfaces your helmet speakers and microphone? In my opinion you might as well get the SuperPro Remote Control.

Cheers!

Todd

I guess the Logic Independence is a nice system if used only for rider to passenger communications with no other audio sources attached to either hub. Then it's pretty neat system with a battery operated little box in each user's pocket?

But like you point out that "not being tethered to the bike" benefit is lost as soon any bike mounted accessories like GPS or radar is added to the system. Then those Super PRO make more sense.

What I'd like to know is how much better PERFORMANCE does these new systems provide compared to the current models.... Not features but how much better fidelity, volume, noise rejection etc.

--

Mikko

Todd and Mikko make some good points and needless to say that if we though the Logic Independence was the be-all and end-all that everyone would want then we wouldn’t have bothered investing in other products like the new Logic, Super Pro Automatic, or Super Pro Remote Control, or of course have a considerable budget and team for future developments.

The thing is NOT EVERYONE wants what others may want so to satisfy the market you have to have a range of products and then keep on developing them around the market needs.

16 years in the business (regarded by many as the market leaders) has shown us that most people have preferred to bike power over portable power, but as battery technology and electronics have evolved over the years portable battery power can now be more practical and that is why we have introduced these new portable products for 2009.

Many people have already experienced some of the latest portable powered products and decided to go back to bike powered, which is why all of our portable products are designed to be more practical when used portable, and have the ability to be bike powered if you decide that’s how you want to use it in future.

Some people want portable in a pocket or tank bag, others want bike powered in a pocket, tank bag or bike mounted. Some people only need to consider using it on one bike, while others want to use it between several bikes. So our range provides solutions that many people want.

Lets consider your comments about Logic Independence; if you want a portable rider to passenger system, then it provides a practical solution with no wires to the bike and no wires between rider and passenger, but with practical battery life and solutions for easy battery replacement when you cant get to charge up, or bike power if needed.

Connectivity:

Aux 1 designed for bike to bike radio, which of course can normally be battery powered and so sit in a pocket or fanny pack (bum-bag) or tank bag etc. As this is voice activated via the systems VOX it provides practical portable WIRELESS operation.

Aux 2 designed for Stereo GPS

Aux 3 designed for Stereo Phone

Aux 4 designed for Stereo Music

Now for a budget connection for phone and stereo music the system comes with TWO standard phone and TWO standard stereo music leads, so EACH person can have their own independent phone and music on them. STILL NO WIRES to the bike or between them, so still basically wireless in that sense.

So that’s rider to passenger, with bike to bike, phone (or two phones) shared or independent stereo music and no wires to the bike or between each user.

If you want, each hub can have a Stereo Bluetooth interface added that provides wireless connectivity to other devices, for example the rider may use their phone in their pocket via the bike mounted and powered GPS and the passenger may use their stereo music from their MP3 phone via the optional integral Bluetooth devices. Or for that matter any other devices that can Bluetooth the audio signal to either hub.

We are also working on new coding that will allow each hub to work with other devices at the same time as working between hub to hub. We are also working on a bike mounted/powered mixing hub that communicates wirelessly to the two Logic Independence hubs, so you can upgrade your Logic Independence portable hubs to work with this. And while that may sound more like your preferred choice, it will not be for everyone.

I personally like the Logic Independence as a portable system for shorter trips, but for longer trips I bike power my (riders) hub, in my tank bag using one of our new two part bike power leads which also has an additional 12 volt outlet for other devices in my tank bag, which powers my Zumo. I wire the Zumo directly to Aux 2 so that I can enjoy the stereo music from the Zumo and so that when using the phone (independently connected via the BT interface) the important GPS and speed camera warnings can still be heard. I can also enjoy the stereo music from my phone which auto cuts when using the phone. I bike power my Kenwood transceiver via the bike powered hub in the tank bag.

So for loner trips I have all my gadgets in my tank bag. Bike powered hub, bike powered GPS and bike powered bike to bike. My phone can sit in my pocket wirelessly providing stereo music and phone, but I prefer it in the map pocket of the tank bag so that I can select or reject calls.

If I carry a passenger they have their own WIRELESS portable hub in a pocket etc, and BT their own stereo music and phone independently to their own headset, OR we can set either or both hub to share the phone/music etc.

When I get off the bike to go into a hotel etc, I have one quick release connection from the bike to tank-bag, which can also be used for the handle bar mounted PTT/VOX control, so that we can have private rider to passenger conversations without transmitting the bike to bike, and I can manually PTT bike to bike when using the phone if needed.

Then some weeks later when I am using another bike just for the weekend I can use both hubs portable etc.

Hope this helps you to better understand why it is designed this way. And please remember that all of our bike powered systems are designed so that when we produce the optional wireless module, they will be able to wirelessly communicate to the portable Logic Independence hubs

As for performance; our old products were designed to work on any bike at any speed, and won just about every back to back test, often stated to be “way ahead of our competitors” The new products have virtually no audible noise and so are better with in-ear-speakers. More Volume; so even better with normal earplugs; and even better noise rejection so even better at higher speeds. I cannot however say that any over the ear speaker will sound better with music than in-ear speakers, but for rider to passenger, bike to bike, phone and GPS speech quality we are confident that these new system will easily outperform your bikes.

Autocom UK Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the excellent reply. I wasn't sure how the products were positioned, given the small two page brochure explanation. Now I have a better idea how to apply the product(s).

Good to know about the future wireless hub. Thanks for that info as well.

Bob

Tom,

Are you saying that the rider-to-passenger "wireless" connection actually utilizes a b2b radio transmission (i.e. FRS, GMRS)--on public channels? Or am I misreading it?

Bob

Tom,

Are you saying that the rider-to-passenger "wireless" connection actually utilizes a b2b radio transmission (i.e. FRS, GMRS)--on public channels? Or am I misreading it?

Bob

According to my understanding, the rider-to-passenger wireless connection is via a low-power "bluetooth" connection not a b2b radio transmission on public channels.

The WIRELESS LINK between the two hubs is designed for communications between rider and passenger, with a maximum range of up to10 meters.

A Bike to bike transceiver can be connected to either hub and used by both persons via either hub. In other words the rider to passenger speech between hubs activates a transceiver plugged into either hub, and the received bike to bike audio on either hub Aux 1 is relayed to both hubs headsets.

Other Aux inputs can be used independent of shared.

We have not designed the wireless link for bike to bike use (like some do) as this provides only very limited range and also limits the number of users. Instead we recommend using a proper transceiver which can provide excellent range and communicate clearly to almost unlimited numbers of bikes within range.

Trying to push the limits of Bluetooth for bike to bike use often provides disappointing results, when people discover just how unreliable it can be when used in this way. Sure it can work, in a fashion, and as some try to do, but with far too many complaints for us, when compared to a choice of quality transceivers that work far better.

Is there a PTT?

Yes per my example earlier, if you bike power the unit you can use a PTT/VOX power lead. And if we get enough requests we will look at making a wireless PTT, depending on costs.

Is there a PTT?

Yes per my example earlier, if you bike power the unit you can use a PTT/VOX power lead. And if we get enough requests we will look at making a wireless PTT, depending on costs.

Target date for release of full specs on all the new stuff yet?

Edit--I see there are now downloads available at UK site so I will look there.

when we produce the optional wireless module, they will be able to wirelessly communicate to the portable Logic Independence hubs

Ah, there's the key! I can now vision in my head how to get all the functionallity I currently have with wires, without them. Can't wait!

Tom,

I am paraphrasing you here so I am responding to your paragraph below. The issue with using the Bluetooth module, at least for me, is two fold. One, I want the MP3 player (Sansa Sandisk) to stay on the left handle bar mount where I can control the volume (It has a tactile raised volume ring) and select songs which I do by feel without looking down at it. Two I would like to be able to connect the MP3 player and V1 radar detector (Also mounted on the handlebar right side) into a two into one Bluetooth transmitter such as the wiRevo D1000V. I am open to connecting the B2B radio via cable to the hub and leaving the radio in my pocket as once it is set it does not normally need to be adjusted. I don't use B2B very much but it is nice to have. I also don't need rider to passenger comms although I also like that the capability is there for future use. So my question is would this configuration work? Would I be able to pair the WiRevo to your hub with full stereo music and still hear the Radar detector? If so then it becomes a workable solution.

Cheers!

Todd

"If you want, each hub can have a Stereo Bluetooth interface added that provides wireless connectivity to other devices, for example the rider may use their phone in their pocket via the bike mounted and powered GPS and the passenger may use their stereo music from their MP3 phone via the optional integral Bluetooth devices. Or for that matter any other devices that can Bluetooth the audio signal to either hub."

John Bentall

Todd,

Surely your question is about mixing sound into the WiRevo D1000V. If the volumes are correctly balanced between the radar detector and the MP3 player then you should be able to hear both.

The WiRevo will then transmit this mixed stereo bluetooth to the Autocom stereo bluetooth interface.

John,

Thanks for the response. I have a couple of questions about the Bluetooth module for the Independence Hub. Is it integrated into the hub or is it a plugin optional accessory? If it plugs in then does it take one of the external ports? How many simultaneous bluetooth connection does it support? Does the Bluetooth module support full stereo A2DP? Is it Bluetooth 2.0 compatible? The kit comes with two Hubs, will you be offering a kit for a single rider? In example a single hub?

I see the list price on the brochure is 400 British Pounds which converts to U.S. $578.24. I assume it will be a little less from a dealer?

Cheers!

Todd

John Bentall
John,

Thanks for the response. I have a couple of questions about the Bluetooth module for the Independence Hub. Is it integrated into the hub or is it a plugin optional accessory? If it plugs in then does it take one of the external ports? How many simultaneous bluetooth connection does it support? Does the Bluetooth module support full stereo A2DP? Is it Bluetooth 2.0 compatible? The kit comes with two Hubs, will you be offering a kit for a single rider? In example a single hub?

I see the list price on the brochure is 400 British Pounds which converts to U.S. $578.24. I assume it will be a little less from a dealer?

Cheers!

Todd

Todd,

I don't work for the factory so you will have to wait for Tom to reply on some of these questions about the Bluetooth protocols and pricing. I just happen to think that Autocom is the best system out there.

Basically the whole point of the Logic INDEPENDENCE is that the rider and passenger do not have to connect themselves into the same hub - because they each have their own and communicate rider-to-pillion via Bluetooth. This enables the rider and passenger to listen to separate music if they want to or share music if they want to.

If you are rider only or don't mind connecting into the same hub, then you can save a bunch of money and go for the basic Logic system (either battery or bike powered) or even buy one INDEPENDENCE hub if you want.

The Logic INDEPENDENCE supports one optional Bluetooth stereo interface and the basic Logic supports two Bluetooth stereo interfaces (ie Zumo AND WiRevo D1000V). I don't believe these optional interfaces use any of the existing ports on the units.

Hope this helps - but ideally you need to wait for full support on your side of the pond.

John

Archived