IGNORED

Which Satellite Radio Hardware?

rickmoen

Hi All,

Just curious, here. I currently have XM radio on my bike through a SkyFi2 radio. I'm less than impressed with the quality of this radio. I'm on my second SkyFi2. The first one developed an annoying habit of turning itself off and then back on about 4 or 5 times a minute. This was traced to a faulty cradle. The second one has now started sounding "scratchy." The little, black, antennas don't seem to be reliable either. Being a baseball fan, I'd like to stick with XM. Having a BMW Zumo 550, I can't just get a GXM30 (unless I can sell/trade the BMW Zumo for a "regular" Zumo). My first Satellite radio was a RoadyXT, but the radio wouldn't stay in the cradle while riding. So, what kind of hardware has been used successfully? Thanks in advance! Rick

I had the original Roady that didn't use a cradle and it worked fine. I "upgraded" to a Roady XT with cradle and also had problems(should have stuck with old roady). I tried several things but only when I used hot-glue would it stay put in the cradle. You can't remove it easily but what the hey, ther're not worth much so I didn't worry about them being stollen. Finnaly went to Zumo 550 and GXM30 and everything got better including reception.

I can help you choose which radio NOT go get. I agree on the Roady XT. I have managed to make it work, but it is always a hassle, especially if the base gets wet. The connection of the radio to the base is not reliable and--if not held in place with a rubber band--vibrates loose. My rubber bands don't last very long due to UV exposure, I suppose. Good luck.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Prolly not what you had in mind, but the XM receiver on the Zumo works great. Of course if you already have GPS, not so much.

CruisinCruzan

I screwed the XT base (through the back, no electronics) into a gadget guy plate and I keep the radio on with a stretchy velcro band (bought at an outdoor store). Works great and is very cheap (already had the gadget guy stuff)

I can help you choose which radio NOT go get. I agree on the Roady XT. I have managed to make it work, but it is always a hassle, especially if the base gets wet. The connection of the radio to the base is not reliable and--if not held in place with a rubber band--vibrates loose. My rubber bands don't last very long due to UV exposure, I suppose. Good luck.

To keep my Roady in it's mount, I wrap it with a strip of velcro.

regards

I've used the Roady 2 for about three years -- transferring back and forth between truck and bike and have had ZERO problems. If you could find one of these older units, I would give it a try. If mine ever fails, I'd be out looking for another one just like it the next day.

Half the size/weight of our Sky-fi.....

I just took a Sirrius starmate (starmate 4 I think) off my RT. It had a mounting bracket specifically for it.

I replaced it with a Garmin 2730 and the GXM 30. Much better.

Bradley_Gillie
I just took a Sirrius starmate (starmate 4 I think) off my RT. It had a mounting bracket specifically for it.

I replaced it with a Garmin 2730 and the GXM 30. Much better.

+1

Archived