IGNORED

"Low-Siding an RT - For Dummy's (w/Pics)

Mike O

It had to happen sooner or later. 20,000 miles on the bike and countless times I’ve run these mountain passes pressing my luck one to many times. Just when you think you’ve mastered every possible ugly turn, one jumps up and slaps you down. It did…so quickly, it was over before I realized it was sliding down the road. I had low-sided the RT.

I don’t know how many times I’ve read that a slide occurs so fast you barely realize its going on. And then you replay it in your mind; over….and over….and over again; this time in slow motion. Well it occurred during our annual 100k ride and here I sit with the thoughts fresh on my mind, so I figured I teach everyone how to Low-Side an RT (or most importantly, how NOT to.) It’s quite easy in retrospect. And now that I know HOW to do it, I’ll practice avoiding those ugly steps in the future. Hopefully, my lessons will teach you how to AVOID this mishap. Here’s my “How to Low-side an RT” instructions.

Ingredients:

(1) BMW 2003 R1150RT (substitute any motorcycle, low or high mileage)

(1) overzealous motorcycle operator (male or female – doesn’t matter)

(1) twisty mountain pass

(1) very sandy road (fine sand more easily contributes to the ‘slide’)

(2-3) sharp turns. At least one that is 270degrees, and uphill works best.

(1) very slow white panel van.

(1) properly dressed motorcycle operator (ATGATT)

Vigorously mix the following:

- Successive twisty mountain roads

- Overzealous bike operator

- Add additional vehicles as needed to raise the operator frustration level. The frustration level can be adjusted to proportional levels (more frustration desired? Add more vehicles)

SLOWLY add in (1) white panel van. Weaving vans imported from Detroit and painted with local plumber shop logo work most effectively. At just the right moment, allow bike operator to accelerate past weaving van. Wait until bike operator has regain confidence in surroundings and allow operator to accelerate BEYOND safe limits for the road conditions. Combine the remaining ingredients as follows:

(1) sharp uphill, 270 degree right hand turn

(1) sand (add liberally to road)

And wait for bike operator to add throttle. When throttle has reached appropriate levels…PUSH THE REAR END OF THE BIKE PAST THE FRONT….and...Hold on….Let the slide begin.

Well, that’s pretty much what happened. Before I knew it, I was on my side, looking up in the air, and with a bit of irony watching all those slow vehicles passing me by. Fortunately, I wasn’t traveling all that fast (I would guess, less than 25mph), but enough to low-side my RT. I laid there for a moment checking for any pains and aches and making sure I could move. Only my ankle hurt. Good. More than anything else, my pride was aching…bad. But most importantly, I wanted to get up and out of the road. I quickly stood up, and the Detroit panel van pulled over to see if I was all right (thank you!). I was and gave him the thumbs up and waited for help me lift the bike. The bike started back up, but was pointed the wrong direction. So Dave waved at me when the uphill winding traffic was clear so I could get the bike headed back up hill again (I did complete the annual 100k ride with bruised pride and a very sore ankle and bruised a$$ - see the ride tale here.)

A few moments later I realized how quickly my face shield fogged up from all the cursing I was doing (I was using words I had forgotten since high school!). I had successfully combined all the ingredients for a stupid and avoidable mistake.

Here’s what I learned:

- First and foremost, be patient. The time I saved speeding past the plumber was lost as I slide down the road.

- Understand that road conditions can change (like sand) in the blink of an eye.

- What was safe 100 ft ago, may not be, 100ft from now.

- Slow down through those quick uphill turns

- If I’m having trouble negotiating the turn, you can bet other cars are as well. Watch for them.

- Better to shift a little weight to the front rather than the rear on these quick uphill turns.

- DON’T try to catch the bike as its sliding down (you’re 6in circumference ankle is no match for a 600+lb bike!)

- ATGATT really does make ALL the difference.

Here’s pics of my gear. My neighbor laughs at me whenever I eave the house. He says I look like a space alien. Tomorrow, I’m going show him these pants and boots. My knees would have been shredded if I had only been wearing jeans (or worse yet…shorts!) And most certainly had a hospital visit to remove the gravel. Please folks…you’ve heard it SO MANY TIMES. It’s simple…

Wear what you want to have on, when you go down.

IMG_1155.jpg

I didn’t even realize my ass was worn until someone else pointed it out. And my BMW 3-phase, didn’t sustain a scratch (and I recall landing on my right elbow and arm. I swear by this BMW gear! (although the pants are FirstGear HT over pants they worked well also).

IMG_1156.jpg

And then there is my boot. This really pisses me off. These are (were?) the most comfortable shoes I owned. But they saved my digits. And hopefully left me with little more than a sore ankle (tomorrow will tell)

IMG_1162.jpg

As for the bike? The engine guards took most of the damage.

IMG_1152.jpg

And the side case? Scratched, but MORE character. It’ll give me a story to talk about, but most importantly provide the basis for “How to low-side and RT” lessons that I can pass along to others….. AND MISTAKES TO AVOID…

IMG_1153.jpg

Live and learn.

Regards,

Mike O

beemerman2k

Great write up. Glad you're ok. Thanks for the friendly, colorful, and humorous reminders of why good riding and ATGATT practices make all the difference! thumbsup.gif

Mike, I admire your telling of the story. Such an honest look at the events and the role you played.

Just one quick question: would better throttle control have kept the rear planted, or was it coming around regardless? I ask that because slowing adding throttle allows for the weight transfer that gives you yet more traction, and more ability to safely keep adding throttle. It's when the throttle application exceeds weight transfer and it's impact on traction that the rear starts to do its own thing.

Your bike handled it amazingly well, eh? Thank goodness for valve protectors. They are sacrificial, but they allow you to get to your destination. That's the big point. It might have ground right through your valve covers, based on the look of that plastic.

Thanks for the reminder, Mike. This sort of thing can happen to any of us, and I'll be thinking of your experience and pictures the next time I am on my favorite roads. I'm glad you're OK.

Jay

R1200RT - no scratches (so far)

Just one quick question: would better throttle control have kept the rear planted, or was it coming around regardless?
This particular spot is one of those with a deep shoulder due to the sharp turn (a mistake by the road crew in my opinion) that invites folks to use the extra room to negotiate the sharp turn. Unfortunately, its all sand and gravel; and as each Out-of-State U-haul travels the turn, it throws more and more sand on the road. The rear end was coming around and the way I SHOULD have avoided this, was simply slowing down. Certainly could consider that 'throttle control' that's for sure. David, where I screwed up was treating this turn just as I did every other; adjust and slow entering the apex and accelerate out. In this case I should have slowed and waited well past the apex to throttle on again; I accelerated to early.
Your bike handled it amazingly well, eh? Thank goodness for valve protectors. They are sacrificial, but they allow you to get to your destination. That's the big point. It might have ground right through your valve covers, based on the look of that plastic.
Yup...$40 for a new protector. What still torques me is the boots (but I sure am glad I wasn't wearing sneakers!)
SteveHebert

Mike,

First off, I am glad that you are okay. The write up is most excellent and very detailed. When I had mine last summer, I did the same thing and hope that others have learned from it. As far as the bike parts go, I had my protectors fixed at a local body shop and I used very fine grit wet/dry sand paper on the side case followed by Krylon Fusion. The bag looks as good as new. It was very easy and very inexpensive.

This is the sort of tale that makes me nervous to hit the mountain roads. I'm glad your OK and thanks for the heads up and advice.

Les is more

Thanks for the assessment, Mike. It's posts like these that help all who read them increase their awareness of varying situations and different ways to look at the the choices we're faced with every time we're out on the road. Sorry this one had to be on your dime and oh so glad that you're okay.

Wow. That's an awful lot of clothing damage for 25 MPH.

Hope the ankle checks out all right.

Hate those steep, uphill turns with crud on the road. I've lost my rear on a few; fortunately, never to the extent you encountered.

Greg

I'm glad to hear you are ok. Today was another 100+ degrees day in my neck of the woods, and as usual I was sweating my a$$ off in all my gear. I met some friends for lunch who arrived in cages, and they made sure to laught at my drenched demeanor when I arrived. I wish they would read your account and see the pictures to know why I always arrive looking like Darth Vader. Thank you for taking the time to write it up. I appreciate your honesty and humor.

Thanks for sharing the information & glad you're ok.

I had a slow speed slid out on a road freshly graveld a few years ago. If I had'nt been wearing full leathers I would have been a bloody mess.

I still got them leathers...

cool.gif

Wow. That's an awful lot of clothing damage for 25 MPH.

Not really - I once tipped over on my old Gold Wing in a parking lot going 0 miles per hour and punched a hole right through the elbow of my jacket!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mike - really glad you are okay and you are THINKING ABOUT what went wrong - I think that's the best thing you can do.

What tires were you running, how many miles on them, and had you checked the inflation recently? I really think tires often are a contributing factor to incidents like this.

Oh - and I am in the "get away from the bike once it's down" school of thought - that works well for me - DAMHIK!

Francois_Dumas

Thanks for the tale Mike. And thanks for making me feel good wink.gif. I was afraid of such things before riding down to the mountains, and up in them... After seeing your pictures I don't feel that I was too 'deliberately careful' anymore. I have seen MANY dangerous places, situations and 'objects' over the past 3 weeks... and many an accident waiting to happen.

I am glad you survived alright.... and good humour always saves the day thumbsup.gif

Mike,

Thanks for reminding us that we can all make mistakes.

Those engine guards are the cheapest insurance available.

I'm glad you came out of it so well, albeit with a very bruised ego. But not so bruised that you didn't think of us and our well being. Thank you for sharing.

Those are very nice looking boots, but I guess you will have to replace them for the reason that you have that much less leather to protect you? Otherwise, I'd be tempted to wear them just to show the "how do you wear all that gear?" contingent why you do.

Francois_Dumas

My left boot looks like that actually.... but from the nasty little gear change lever on the RT smirk.gif

Francois - I viewed most of the pictures from your recent holiday. Several of those on mountain twistys were beautiful shots. What you succeeded in doing was navigating those turns with Nina on board. Even more difficult. And you posted

"We left at 8:30.... an ungodly time when being on vacation! I also managed to talk Nina into wearing full ATGATT this time.... and with the cold up until the afternoon she thanked me for it.

Mind you.. by now she is riding pillion with a broken rib (or so everyone tells us)..... riding doesn't hurt, but sneezing and laughing does !! Is she a soldier or what !!!???

Make sure you show her the pictures of my gear. I can't imagine how I would have felt had Bernadette (my lovely bride) been on the bike with me. She is so forgiving, but would be spooked (rightfully so) and by her nature, reluctant to get back on a bike again.

Kathy. What's not shown in the boots pic is the other side which has the sole fairly worn down. One thing that does concern me and I will be looking for in the near future, is the composition of the boot. These were NOT leather soles, but rubber-like (leather uppers) and what gave them their comfort. Another 50ft and I'm not certain, they would have held up much more. But, as you suggest, might be worth carrying on the bike as a sovenior to show others!

Bob The tires are Michelin Pilots. Less than 2500 miles on them. I pretty much run 40psi rear, 38psi front. Gave them the once over that morning. In general, I've been fortunate in that I rarely have to mess with the tires. They pretty much hold the same pressure +/- 1 lb (that's within the accuracy of my guage as far as I can tell).

Thanks for all your concern and comments. Bottom line is that 200+ motorcycles made that turn without low-siding their bikes (that I am aware of). I wasn't the first one through and rather doubt I 'cleaned the asphalt' for everyone else!

Regards,

Mike O

Francois_Dumas
Francois Make sure you show her the pictures of my gear. I can't imagine how I would have felt had Bernadette (my lovely bride) been on the bike with me. She is so forgiving, but would be spooked (rightfully so) and by her nature, reluctant to get back on a bike again.

Mike O

Yup, that's the first thing I did this morning Mike !!! thumbsup.gif And you are right, I would feel pretty bad for the remainder of muy life should anything happen to her (the ribs she did herself.. <grin>).

So thanks again for posting the story and pics ! clap.gif

Mike - sand is VERY NASTY! Sounds like your tires were about the best you could hope for in terms of traction, but the damn sand just used more 'tractin dollars" than you had in your bank account. Ride safe - thanks again for the post.

Thanks for the post and I'm glad it turned out the way it did, your attitude included! I almost had a low side recently and the circumstances are worth adding here I think. It was on my commute to work on a road I travel most everyday of the week. I was stopped at a four lane interesection waiting for the light to turn in order to execute a left turn onto another four lane. It was an uphil grade in the morning turning east - the sun was low and in my face when looking in the direction I'd be turning. As the advance green light came on, I slowly started to accelerate, anticipating the final S bend curve I'd have before the driveway into my workplace - a turn I always enjoy. What I didn't notice, or at least failed to register with the importance I should have placed was a dark, wet streak in the middle of the lane I was in. A short time before I got there, one of the city buses (which would be headed to the same spot I was going) had blown a seal on the engine and dumped a trail of oil on the road. I was pretty much on autopilot going into the turn and the sudden loss of traction on the rear as I accelerated caught me completely by surprise. Dirt bike reflexes took over and I recovered. I was still shaking a bit with the realization of close i was to low siding it as I put the bike in my parking space minutes later - I went around the last S bend much slower than normal. On the ride home later in the day, I was real careful with the throttle as I figured there'd be oil residue on the tire until it had time to wear off. It served as a reminder that just as mentioned above, road conditions can change quickly, you've got to pay attention ALL the time regardless of how familar you are with the road.

I'd been wondering about getting a set of valve cover protectors - I've stopped wondering, thanks.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
This is the sort of tale that makes me nervous to hit the mountain roads.

The roads in/around the Denver metro area are probably worse, with more road debris, incl. oil on the center lines and the general bad condition of the streets. I know what I speak of, living there until I was 22 and back several times since. Have you ever ridden Lookout Mountain? My point is: don't limit your riding experiences because one person had a bad time in a particular corner. Learn from Mike's experiences and then go out and have some fun. You appear to have a lot of riding experience, enjoy yourself!

Mike: Cowboy boots have lots of leather but generally don't have ankle protection or shin protection. Do you think that your injuries could have been lessened with a different boot? And will you seek a function-specific boot in the future?

&

Could you see the sand?

Mike:

Great post! I'm glad you thought enough of this experience to share it and not hide it with your recollections of the 100,000ft. ride in Ride Tales.

I talked with Mike many miles later (after the adrenaline rush wore off) and his expression of frustration at "not seeing the conditions" was evident. Mind you, this particular stretch of road was "posted 40mph" a mile or so before the "posted 15mph" 270 degree hairpins. The last few times I've gone through have had that dreaded sand kicked out from trailers and large vehicles cutting the corner, and I'm kinda glad I had to wait behind a car and cool off in the corner -- I would've been in trouble, too! eek.gif

By contrast, the uphill hairpins on Loveland Pass that Clyde and I did later that day had no sand, no cars, and we blasted out of them in second gear thumbsup.gif

Dang it, Mike, now I need to get valve cover protectors!!!

Later,

jan

PhillyFlash

Thanks for the report, Mike. Glad you made it through without to much damage to yourself or the bike. Hope you both heal quickly.

Mike: Cowboy boots have lots of leather but generally don't have ankle protection or shin protection. Do you think that your injuries could have been lessened with a different boot? And will you seek a function-specific boot in the future?

&

Could you see the sand?

The leather saved me getting scratched ankles. Would more function-specific boots helped? Not sure, but 600lbs on an ankle, maybe steel would have helped. If you look at the pics, you'll notice the upper calf part of the boot is clean. That tells me my pants did NOT slide up my calf. And most of the damage was from the slide. I may investigate heavier cowboy boots. They're damn comfortable after you break them in.

There is sand in many places on the roads we traveled Saturday. In this particular spot, I did not see it until it was to late. Truth be told, I was concentrating on making an unusual turn (right hand, steep ascending and very sharp). I should have been paying more attention to the road debris, and I wasn't. It was there; I didn't see it.

Regards,

Mike O

GEEZ MIKE! blush.gif

First, I'm glad you're OK.

Second, thanks for sharing so we can all learn. This brings to mind someone's saying about learning from the mistakes of others because you don't have time to make them all yourself.

Third, ah yes, PATIENCE. I've tried to train myself to expect less from my fellow motorists (so I'll hopefully be disappointed less often) and just take a deep breath, but there are times when I just can't take it any more and use a twist of the wrist to try to put it behind me. Your tale is a reminder that each time this seems to work, I've really just gotten away with something, not really succeeded. Our own Steve Carr (f/k/a Quotatious Dude) laid this wisdom on us once upon a time in a tale of one of his own close calls: He who angers me, conquers me.

Fourth, ATGATT? You betcha, preachin' to the choir here. My involuntary dismount was at a similarly "slow" speed, but the Big Friggin Bumble Bee costume (a/k/a Hi-Viz Darien jacket + pants) and a good pair of boots (high top lace-up) saved me from anything more than bruises and a sprain. I try to be respectful of others' freedom of choice, but after you've BTDT, it isn't so easy.

Finally, never mind about me borrowing your bike for the Tech Daze while you're getting your daughter married off. grin.gif J/K.

Seriously, man, I'm glad that you and your (still beautiful) bike are OK, and that you've enriched us with your tale. Not a shining moment, but ya ain't no dummy neither.

steve.foote

Man, do I know how you feel! Welcome to the Jamaican bobsled team. grin.gif

Glad it was just plastic and fabric. smile.gif

Thanks for the education, Mike. Sorry we had to learn it this way! Every word you said is so true. Thanks for reminding us (again) about ATGATT. I'm very glad to hear that you are OK. Hope to see you on the road again soon.

K^2

Mike,

I'm very glad you're ok and the bike's still in one piece. Thanks for sharing your troubles in such an open and constructive manner thumbsup.gif. It means alot, and will sure help the rest of us.

I have a real problem with these uphill hairpin turns. There's a couple around my area and everytime I run 'em they upset the RT something fierce. It seems to want to lure me down close in the apex, then tempting me to slap the throttle WFO "coming out of the hole". The suspension then unsprings on the uphill side of the curve, upsetting the whole bike and making it quite scary for a moment. I'm talking about pretty tight, 1st or 2nd gear, uphill hairpins. Is this the type of turn you were in?

I came close to a lowside this weekend when I came around a corner to find most of my lane smeared with horse dung eek.gif Why do those dang Amish horses have to cr@p all over the best curves in Lancaster County confused.gif

Thanks for the safety reminder.

Chris

Mike, good report, good pics, glad you are OK. Only one question - NO damage to any of the fairings, mirrors or handle bars? Wow thumbsup.gif

Mike.........

Happy you are OK and thanks for the post particularly with pictures of the First Gear HT pants and cylinder guard......I wear my HT's most of the time and really haven't been that confident in the protection..But, looks like they'll take some abuse....I am looking into changing the armor in the knees and hips..I think First Gear has some better stuff to replace the original..

Thanks again..

Phil...Redbrick

I may investigate heavier cowboy boots. They're damn comfortable after you break them in.

Mike, so are riding boots. Mine hurt like crazy at 100 miles until 3 days into them I went into the river after my son and his bike with them on('nother story). I squished around in them all day until dry and they've as comfy as bedroom slippers ever' since!!!

My advice is to not wait for your riding buddies hard bags to go floating down the river, just jump in anyway, get 'em good and soaked and then wear them dry (I know this is soooo old school, but it works!).

By the way, I'm so glad to hear you were good to go after the dump. Great attitude not getting too wigged out by it. We all know we're gonna go down eventually. It's just part of the game. You were prepared. Kudo's.

I came close to a lowside this weekend when I came around a corner to find most of my lane smeared with horse dung eek.gif Why do those dang Amish horses have to cr@p all over the best curves in Lancaster County confused.gif

Thanks for the safety reminder.

Chris

Maybe the curves scare the horses too grin.gif

• 1 year later...

Glad you are relativlely, okay man. May the gods of fortune & motorcycling look at you - and say "what the hell, let him in".

I was surprised and a bit puzzled to read my own earlier comments, since I could not recall having written anything about this. Then I realized that this incident happend in 2005, and has been resurrected for reasons unknown.

Whew! What a relief....for a minute there I thought was losing it. tongue.gifcrazy.gif

Jay

Jay,

Correct observation... This did happen in 2005 (albeit I hope folks still learn from my experience). I believe this resurfaced because I linked to a picture in that ride-not-so-well tale. Bill767 asked about the value of valve cover protectors and asked if they were worth it or not (they are!)

I have, fortunately, not had a similar incident since this one!

Safe riding.

Mike O

Jay,

Correct observation... This did happen in 2005 (albeit I hope folks still learn from my experience). I believe this resurfaced because I linked to a picture in that ride-not-so-well tale. Bill767 asked about the value of valve cover protectors and asked if they were worth it or not (they are!)

I have, fortunately, not had a similar incident since this one!

Safe riding.

Mike O

I've often thought of getting case gaurds. Everytime I do I rationalize it with the thought that if I have them it's just one more reason I can push the bike harder....... blush.gif

Great description. I have been in that frustrating situation you described and then let the horses loose too. While it's never caused an accident, there have been numerous close calls and one accident. Frustration is a killer. Thanks for knocking it in.

Archived