IGNORED

r1200st and heated vest

stubblejumper

stubblejumper

Last fall,I purchased a Gerbing heated vest and am disappointed with the results.I really can't feel much if any heat from the vest.The auxiliary outlet on my r1200st supposedly provides 5 amps,and the vest supposedly draws 4.5 amps,but I am wondering if the canbus is shutting down.Or am I simply expecting too much from the heated vest?

hexairheadbeemerguy

I wired my vest directly to the battery and it has kept me warm at -6C. I'm not yet using the socket on my RT but don't plan on powering much past an MP3 player etc. Try wiring it directly to the battery and reporting your results if you would. I'm considering buying a Gerbings extreme heated jacket and am curious how it all works out for you.

stubblejumper

I actually just tried hooking the vest up again,this time using the switch that I bought recently to lengthen the cord a bit.When I started the bike,plugged in the vest,and turned on the switch,the switch lit up for a few seconds,then went out.Apparently the canbus will not carry the load of the vest.I did get a harness with the vest to hook up directly to the battery,so I am going to try that.As it is,the factory accessory socket on my r1200st is useless to me,so I am going to remove it,and use the bracket to hook up the direct to battery socket that came with the vest.

By the way,the bike certainly didn't appreciate being started at 40 degrees F.

Agree. First think I did was wire the outlet directly. Forget about the canbus. I use Gerbings and my own homemade liner (costs about $10 to purchasase supplies-- I only use the Gerbing below 25 or so).

stubblejumper

I have the socket wired directly to the battery using the harness and fuse supplied with the vest,and the vest works fine now.Next spring I will finally experience a heated vest for the first time.And to think that I wore the vest on a trip last fall,and it never did work. :dopeslap:

Just what you need:

http://powerletproducts.com/shop-by-vehicle/1/238/product/bmw-ican-stock-socket-rewire-harness-12/199

See you have a 2007,they make a harness for the later bikes too,but I'd contact them to be sure you get the right one,if you go with this product.

Probably the same as the RT or GS for 07,just look at the connector,thats the only difference.They have pictures of the two connector types on the website,just click on "images"on the linked page I gave you,you will see the connector pics on the left.

JR356

stubblejumper

I already used the harness and socket that came with the Gerbing vest,and it fits quite well.Unless I have problems,I will continue using it.

Took a cool ride today with my Widder vest and sleeves hooked up to the socket in 45* weather. No problems other than I had to unplug it twice because I was getting cooked.

It would be nice if The Mothership would have switched that socket...

I too have a Widder vest and mine works ok with the Canbus connection. I've heard the Gerbings draw more current than the Widders and this thread supports that. Now my twist to add to the discussion. I by dumb luck have acquired the warmest riding jacket I have owned a year ago and haven't used my heated vest much since then. My jacket is a Belstaff Mercury model. I don't normally ride much under 40 degrees and for short hops around town I don't even bother with my heated vest as a general rule. For a longer ride on the highway I might.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I have my Warm and Safe gear tied in at the battery, and it the controller will get it as hot as I want.

stubblejumper
I too have a Widder vest and mine works ok with the Canbus connection. I've heard the Gerbings draw more current than the Widders and this thread supports that.

Does your vest have the heated collar?My Gerbing does.The fact that it takes a few seconds for the canbus to shut down,makes me think that the inrush load is just slightly more than the canbus will allow.Perhaps a Gerbing without the collar would also work with the canbus.In any case,I am wondering why BMW didn't set the canbus up for a higher draw,say 10 amps like the RT.After all,the ST was marketed as a touring bike.

Sorry for the minor hijack, but I thought this was still topical: Does anyone here ride 2 up on an RT with both riders wearing heated gear? I was curious how the bike would handle the draw of two full sets of Gerbings.

I have mine wired direct to the battery and was considering investing in a second set so my g.. um.. friend (don't call her my girlfriend) could ride with me this winter.

Oh, man this sounds serious. Could a Gerbings investment be misconstrued as a commitment in a relationship?

I too have a Widder vest and mine works ok with the Canbus connection. I've heard the Gerbings draw more current than the Widders and this thread supports that.

Does your vest have the heated collar?My Gerbing does.The fact that it takes a few seconds for the canbus to shut down,makes me think that the inrush load is just slightly more than the canbus will allow.Perhaps a Gerbing without the collar would also work with the canbus.In any case,I am wondering why BMW didn't set the canbus up for a higher draw,say 10 amps like the RT.After all,the ST was marketed as a touring bike.

Ummm, err, I posted before I knew all of the facts. I didn't realize the ST was only rated at 5 amps, and I'm using my Widder gear on an RT.

Sorry for confusing the issue...

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
Oh, man this sounds serious. Could a Gerbings investment be misconstrued as a commitment in a relationship?

Yes, I think it can. I got nervous reecently when a girl I was dating showed up with her own brand new helmet and riding jacket on our third outing. Apparently rightfully so, as I had to break it off after date four because she wanted to get things moving a lot faster than I did. I may be old fashioned, but 4 dates? Geeez!

I use a Centech AP-2 on my St and then i wired up 3 outlets to the front of my bike. One does the GPS, one does the cell charge, and one does the gerbings Jacket, pants, and gloves. Works great.

P1010480.jpg

P1010475.jpg

P1010482.jpg

Brian

From the pics of your ST with the Centech power supply it looks as though the seat would hit the centech when installed. Does the seat clear your centech? I bought a ST and the previous owner used a Blue Sea fuse block but placed it back where it goes up into the space for the tool kit. I want to change it so I can put my took kit back where it goes. Been looking at the Centech as it looks to have a lower profile.

Bob

Quote:

My vest has no heated collar as it's just a basic heated vest without added options.

I run two gerbings jackets directly off the battery on my ST without any problems in below freezing weather. The current draw exceeds the rating for the accessory socket and will not work. I run my GPS and radar detector directly off the socket with out problems. The alternator output is more than enough to run two heated jackets and the heated grips, etc. all at once.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Something else to consider...The ST and I think RT come installed with 1 accessory plug but are wired for 2. I don't plan on ever installing a second plug so cut the plug off the bike's harness and used a spare Gerbings harness to wire the plug directly to the bike's battery. Now I can switch the accessory plug from being on the canbus to being direct to the battery (for using an inverter and charging things on longer trips) by switching the connection.

Archived