IGNORED

Installing an Autocom in a tankbag

DougD

Any pics or tips that lends to a neat installation of an Autocom Super Pro AVi into a tankbag? I plan on putting my Kenwood 2way radio and cell phone in there also. The tankbag is a Wolfman Explorer.

i have had one for 7 years now. I use a medium size big mack bag. I will take some pics

in simple terms I have a centech fuse panel and autocom unit. I power the autocom and GPS off this centech. I use batteries for my kenwood GMRS radio. I can have the radio, autocom wallet, and phone in there. but that is about all.

I plan on using the tankbag on both of my bikes. So, the Autocom and Kenwood will be permanently installed in the tankbag. My GPS is externally mounted and will connect to the Autocom via the cable from Autocom. I'm also using a Powerlet part to power the tankbag.

I cut a piece of PVC board to match the bottom of my tank bag. I then laid out all the components on that to determine what worked best given that the orientation of certain items drove requirements with wires going one way or the other.... Once I determined the best position I drilled holes in the PVC board so that I could zip tie each piece/component directly to the board.. laid it down in the bag after that...works well enough and nothing slides around.

I've been wanting to do something like this too.

Does the tank bag scratch up the tank?

Is it easy to put gas in the tank with the bag in place?

How do you deter thieft?

I've been wanting to do something like this too.

Does the tank bag scratch up the tank?

Is it easy to put gas in the tank with the bag in place?

How do you deter thieft?

I use a BigMak tankbag http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/BigMak/ ..... No issues with the design of a bigmak scratching the tank AND since it's on a hinge I just flip it up and forward to gas up. When the bike is parked I simply push the helmet lead into the bag so it's not obvious that there's anything in there more than a map. A simple strip of velcro keeps the bag secured on the platen and the wire for power is easily detached so to pull the bag off and lock it in a side bag is all that's needed to keep it safe when it's in a public space for more than an hour or two.

thencamebronson

Big Mak seems to be the way to go. I am on my third iteration of tank bag/autocom/audio and think I finally have it sorted. The BigMak bag works well because it has velcro on the inside of the bag to attach the items to, unless your handier than me and can make something like EffBee did, and it also has a flap on the bottom for wires and cables. Anyway, first version for me was on an LT I had for a while and used the BMW LT tank bag, there isn't a lot of room in there and no holes for cables. Second try was on my RS with a Big Mak bag. I took a plastic cutting board from WalMart and cut a piece to stand up in the bag using velcro. I attached my autocomm (I cant remember the model, but it is small) and a three outlet 12V receptacle. I also used an amplirider mixer and plugged it all into a BMW access outlet wired direct to the battery with an inline 15 amp fuse and a powerlet tankbag connection. Good but not great. The amplirider picked up a buzz from my ipod charger and the XM plug in. Worse on the XM. Too many wires and took up too much tank bag space. Current setup uses a BMW tank bag electrification kit for power and I have the autocomm velcroed in the bag. I spliced the power for the autocomm into the BMW "tbek" wire and use the switched 12v outlet that is part of the "tbek" to charge ipod or cell phone. I use an ijet remote for the ipod and the leads for the autocomm are fed out of the hole in the bottom of the tank bag. I use the autocomm part that allows you to plug in earphones. I'll try to remember and get some pics.

I am thinking of adding a mix-it to my setup since my autocomm only has one audio input and I am using a gps now, along with either XM or ipod.

Do the Big Mak.

I've used the Diamond Space Case (smallest, designed to mount on top of other bags) by itself for years.

Flip to fill, clear map case to see cell phone so I can be a distracted driver too.

My XM radio puck and an aadditional external GPS antenna all sit in the mapcase window, along w/garage door opener, and there's still space to slip a map or printout into.

Locking TouraTech GPS mount allows short term safety, and the whole setup can be removed in about 10 seconds and locked in a hard bag.

:thumbsup:

I picked a Marsee 10L Tear Drop tank bag with the strap mount.

I then replaced the strap mount (which zips to the bag) with a SW-Motech/Bags Connection powered fuel filler ring mount.

I'm running Autocom Pro-7 Sport, Garmin 376C + GXM-30, Valentine V1, Verizon Wireless XV6800, and a Yaesu VX-5

445721709_K5hnr-O.jpg

445721711_gYL8J-O.jpg

445721597_j6iUz-O.jpg

445721636_9UyPQ-O.jpg

There is a "TechMount" available for the hard top bags which consists of a cross rail with 3 mount points and a single mount. One mount was used for the GPS, and I acquired an additional mount for the V1.

Each mount includes the top and bottom pivots, the bar, and the mounting plate. The mounts can be mounted on the bar in 45 degree increments (See GPS mount location).

The only weakness of this mount system is that there is not a ball socket to increase plate angle flexibility. If GPS mount plate was horizontal instead of vertical, it would be angled at 45 degrees same as the mount.

To complete the GPS mount, I partially dismantled the Garmin marine mount which was included with my Garmin unit when purchased. Bolted the Garmin piece right to the TechMount plate with no additional modification needed.

446128780_qzrx3-O.jpg

Archived