IGNORED

rode a Ducati Hypermotard - WOW

DaveC

I got a chance to ride a Ducati Hypermotard at last weeks International Motorcycle show in San Mateo. It was a memorable 1/2 hour ride. The bike seemed to have two speeds; stopped and fast.

First gear was almost unmanageable. It just wanted to lunge forward and pop a wheelie. Second gear was much more manageable for city driving. At one point in the ride I was going about 40 MPH in second gear, and I "blipped" the throttle. The bike lunged forward and the front wheel came up off of the ground a few inches. WOW!

It was a great handling bike with tremendous acceleration. I also found it very attractively styled.

The only down sides I can see is that it does not have a windscreen, so hour+ freeway rides would be very tiring.

It would also cause one to get a lot of speeding tickets. That little devil sitting on your shoulder would be yelling; "FASTER! FASTER!" in one's ear constantly.

Anyone else ride one?

What were your impressions?

Dave, if you think the Duc Hypermotard is a hoot try the (S) version.. I rode one last fall.. Will stand on the front wheel under braking just as easily as it will stand on the rear wheel under throttle up.. Real fun play bike but a lot of money for just a play toy..

Twisty

I got a chance to ride a Ducati Hypermotard at last weeks International Motorcycle show in San Mateo. It was a memorable 1/2 hour ride....

Little did you know that your little test ride was

:grin:

Looks like a fun around town ride, that is if you can hang on to your license.

I just got back last night from watching the movie, "Yes Man" with Jim Carrey. Appearantly, Jim Carrey felt the Ducati performed the same way. A cool hooligan bike for certain.

Looks like a fun around town ride, that is if you can hang on to your license.

Yea, that bike inspires one to break all of the speeed limits and ride like a 18 year old hooligan.

They're a hoot! I test rode the S version (after test riding the multi-strada) and was not prepared for how quickly it puts on speed or how touchy the throttle can be... After a couple miles I had a good feel for the throttle so that I wasn't in constant danger of turning the thing into a unicycle.

Oh... After the ride getting onto my GS-ADV was a real let down.. it felt like I was trying to steer a pig.

Ryan (my son) owns a 2001 996. He left it with me during his Iraq tour of duty. I rode the bike, Joel and Chris K also took some rides. After about the third ride, Chris K came back and "announced" he had figured out how to ride the duc. expecting some real insight, I waited, Chris said go faster. everytime he felt he needed to touch the brakes instead he went faster. everytime he felt maybe I should lean more instead he went faster. By the end he had detemined the bike was way better than he was, and all he had to do was get out of it's way. Those duc's are made for one thing "go faster" always seems the answer to riding a duc is to go faster.

Thus the reason I no longer keep the bike at my place, it was an intoxicating bike. I can only imagine what 8 years of development has done to the bikes. Ryan test rode a 2008 848 and he said it was noticeably better than his 996. We are only using about 30% of the 996, so that makes us capable of using maybe 25% of the 848?

Still Ryan wants an 848.

Enjoying the Hyper S here. It opens the mind to what a sporting ride can be. It doesn't have to be a race replica. In the city, on backroads, or in the curves it has few peers. There are track videos of it stomping other bikes. Limitations... a breezy ride on the highway and 100 mile tank range. It is a focused bike, thus has limited appeal as an "only" bike, but is a great addition or complement.

hmsbrainardroad.jpg

Another +whatever on the photo. If that doesn't make you want to hop on that bike and take it down that road, nothing will.

Spectacular shot.

Now you know why I love my "all-street" 2004 1000 Multistrada. Replacing the cat converter and swapping the front 15 tooth sprocket for a 14 makes a huge difference in low-end response. The reworked suspension (Ohlins rear, Race-Tech front) is 1" lower and firmer than stock, yet still supple. It has the light feel and flickability of the Hypermotard, but bettter range, comfort, and wind protection. I love the RT for 2-up and long tours, but the Multi is the perfect one-up funbike.

Another +whatever on the photo. If that doesn't make you want to hop on that bike and take it down that road, nothing will.

Spectacular shot.

Thanks all. If mild wintertime interest, that Hyper pic, along with other Hyper pics, and those of the Munich products, and other makes, can be seen in this 40 image, 4 video clip, four minute movie here...

http://www.farson.com/video/lightofthesun.wmv

(Can watch full screen with HQ "Light of the Sun" audio)

The YouTube alternative is here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sfarson&view=videos

Regardless, good riding in 2009!

Thanks all. If mild wintertime interest, that Hyper pic, along with other Hyper pics, and those of the Munich products, and other makes, can be seen in this 40 image, 4 video clip, four minute movie here...

http://www.farson.com/video/lightofthesun.wmv

(Can watch full screen with HQ "Light of the Sun" audio)

The YouTube alternative is here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sfarson&view=videos

Regardless, good riding in 2009!

Are all those pics/vids yours? Great stuff.

Archived