IGNORED

Windshield options

Dans08

My '02 R1150RT has a short BMW w/s. I'd like to go with something a little taller and a little wider. I was looking at the BMW R1150RT "Police" Tall and the BMW R1150RT Deluxe Touring.

I'm up for recommendations. :)

I also read that some of the bigger windshields have been known to break the adjusting support arms on the bikes. Is that a big concern?

Rich06FJR1300

i never had any issues with the 1150's. Its the 1200's that the adjusting mechanism is breaking when they add bigger, heavier windscreens, something to do with the pot metal they used to make them with. I used an Aeroflow and you can also try CEE bailey, they make +2+4 inches taller and wider as well. Also Ztechnik makes one as well. I'd probably go with one of these guys before i would use one from bmw.

I have the police tall on my R1150RT

I'm just under 6'-0 and with the seat all the way down, and windscreen all the way up, I get wind and the top of my helmet...and alot of buffeting from back pressure.............

I do have a Cee Bailey on my LT and that little "flip" on top really moves the air up even with windscreen below eye level.

I am just shy of 6.3 and had the BMW tall/wide shield on the my R1150RT. I suffered a lot of buffeting and picked up a secdem screen, as cee baileys are rather expensive to get over the pond.

The difference between the BMW shield and the secdem is rather significant:

DSCF7700.jpg

The larger screen added al lot of comfort for me, less buffeting and wind noise, especially at higher speeds.

HTH, Daniël

The Aeroflow gets recommended a lot. I was concerned with the support arms getting broken so I was thinking only BMW.

It nice to know I have other options.

My 1999 came with an Aeroflow, which had some small cracks propagating from the mounting holes. I didn't like the fact that it was thin plastic, and required spacers (which were cracked) to mount. I replaced it with a Cee Bailey +4. I started with a +2, but even for me (5'7") it was too short. I can see over it pretty well in the lowest position, although I'm thinking of taking about a half inch off the center; raising the shield about an inch quiets the air noticeably at highway speeds. The compound curve of the Cee Bailey shields introduces some optical distortion; it doesn't bother me (since I look over, not through), but is something to be aware of.

What caused the cracking? Did anyone else experience this with the Aeroflow?

I'm not sure about the Cee Bailey shield. I usually look over the shield but there are times like trying to cut down on wind and noise, when I will look thru it and I think the compound curve will me trouble. Is this a problem for anyone else?

I had the stock windscreen on my '96 R1100RT develop cracks on both sides at the screw holes. Had the chance to pick up a Secdem from the classifieds here & can't believe the difference between it and the stock screen. The Secdem is at least a 1/4" thick, much heavier than stock. It is a little taller and narrower than stock with a more pronounced "flip" at the top. Works fine.

I can't speak for any of the other brands like Cee Bailey, Aeroflow etc. The only downside I see to the Secdem is that it is not as good optically as the OEM screen...probably due to the fact that it is quite a bit thicker. That's OK though, as I generally try to look over rather than through.

What caused the cracking? Did anyone else experience this with the Aeroflow?

I'm not sure about the Cee Bailey shield. I usually look over the shield but there are times like trying to cut down on wind and noise, when I will look thru it and I think the compound curve will me trouble. Is this a problem for anyone else?

The Aeroflow came with the bike, and had probably 60,000 miles on it. Because they use 1/8" inch plastic, they have to use spacers between the arms and the shield. The plastic of the spacers was brittle and cracked, and I'm guessing that this may have put more stress on the shield itself.

I found the Aeroflow too wide and flat foe my taste, and my wife complained about buffeting at highway speeds unless it was all the way up; no complaints from her about the Cee Bailey at any height.

The only way to tell if the distortion will bother you is to find a bike with a Cee Bailey shield, and see how the view looks down and up. To my eye, the curves of the Cee Bailey shield flow with the lines of the bike, so I'm happy with both its looks and with its performance.

After-market shields generate about as many opinions as seats and oils.

Archived