IGNORED

Heated Grip Failure

Leevis

Hi All

I have had a look but cant find anything on this.

My left side stock heated grip is not working any more :( Is there a likely cause of this that a complete novice could fix?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Its an 03 R1150RT

Lee

One thing i have forgotten to mention. It is only the left hand side grip that is not heating up. The right one is fine. I dont know if they are on seperate fuses or anything.

Lee

Hi All

My left side stock heated grip is not working any more :( Is there a likely cause of this that a complete novice could fix?

Its an 03 R1150RT

Lee

Lee, difficult to trouble shoot over the internet..

They usually break the wire right at the grip heater but there could be an open about anywhere past the switch connectors & after wire side split..

I guess the place to start is to follow the L/H heated grip wire back to the connector then use a voltmeter & look for power there with the grips on.. If OK then isolate the problem side grip wires,, then use an ohmmeter on those to see if you have continuity in the heater,, if not look for an open in the wires or right at the grip heater itself.. Pretty difficult to access the grip heater without destroying the rubber grip cover though..

Twisty

Lone_RT_rider

I also had the same issue with my heated grips on my 1999 R1100RT with the left grip becoming non-functional and the other grip working "ok". On the older and higher milaege bikes with the switches on the dashboard such as the R1100RT they tend to get a bit of water intrusion over time. At the factory when they are first installed they do put a bit of grease on the contacts to try to help this, but over time corrosion still tends to get into the switch.

My suggestion and what I did? Take enough screws out of the dash to peel back the dash just far enough to remove the switch. Remove the switch and clean the rocker contacts. The green corrosion should be pretty evident at this point. There are various methods to do this but I used some alchohol with a q-tip and then finished it with a simple pencil eraser. Then apply electrical connector grease back to the switch, but you don't need a lot here. More grease isn't always better as it attracts dirt and can pre-maturely wear the switch out. Then, re-install the switch and then the dash. If corrosion on the switch was indeed your problem this should take care of the issues.

I wish I had taken some pics during this install, but unfortunately I did not. :eek:

Shawn

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All

Its an 03 R1150RT

Lee

Lee,

Have you gotten to the bottom of this? The left stock heated grip on my 04 1159RT has recently stopped working...

I had my left hand heated grip fail on my '98 RT. If I remember correctly, it was an expensive 'lil bastard- change back from a $100 bill. But what really got my goat was that when I put on the new grip, there was a mismatch between the bottom tapped hole in the handlebar and the corresponding hole in the grip. It was too much of a mismatch to even think about trying to get the screw in there. I was gonna take it off and bring it back to the dealer, but I was on cancer meds (as I am now) and totally forgot about it, till a couple of months had passed and by then the dealer said it was too late to take back. Too much to ask for the grip mount holes to match up on a $90 part?

Is there a likely cause of this that a complete novice could fix?

I wouldn't bother trying. Unless they both fail at the same time, replace the left grip and be done with it. It's been 4 years now, but I had the same issue with my '96 -- repaired at the LD. New grip was listed at $62.95 (wonder how much that has gone up since then).....

Anyway, I had the grip replaced, new footpeg rubbers installed and the oil/filter changed for $182.19. Those were the good-ol'-days.

Silly question I have a 94 R1100RS the heated grip switch is horizontal middle position off which way is high which way is low? Which position do most people use, is there much difference in the heat?

Archived