IGNORED

Replacing Battery Question

Skywagon

I have a 2005 R1150RT. I am purchasing an Odyssey PC680 battery for a replacement this week. One of the web sites suggest I buy a pair of cable adaptors to make it easier on BMW bikes. It looks just like a small piece of copper in the shape of an L.

Does the PC680 fit as is or do I need these cable adaptors?

Thanks.

Without the adapters you will have to bend the cable ends on the bike. It is easier if you just get the adapters or make some using a bit of copper pipe.

Without the adapters you will have to bend the cable ends on the bike. It is easier if you just get the adapters or make some using a bit of copper pipe.

You have my attention. I've been wanting to get the extension. How do you make them from copper pipe. I just happen to have some 1/2" dia copper pipe laying around. Would this work and what would be the dimensions to make them?

I just bent the existing terminals flat with a pair of pliers, took about 30 seconds. They fit perfectly that way and you'll avoid a bunch of unnecessary hardware in your battery connections.

Is that battery laying on it's side in that picture? Or, is that shot looking forward at the side of the battery?

The above photo is with the battery in its original terminals up position with adaptors.

With it laying on its side, terminals to the left, no adaptors are needed. The Odyssey is an AGM battery so its orientation doesn’t matter.

With it laying on its side, terminals to the left, no adaptors are needed. The Odyssey is an AGM battery so its orientation doesn’t matter.

Ken, are you saying that there is enough room under the tank for the battery to be on its side, presumably with the terminals facing the rear? I had the plastic off yesterday to check electrolyte level (really low), but I don't remember how much room there was in there, but side mounting would make everything much easier.

Eventually the current battery will fail, and I'll probably replace it with a PC680; in the meantime, adding 6 oz of distilled water to the electrolyte appears to have rejuvenated it. I still don't understand why BMW can't make an AGM battery standard equipment on a $15,000 motorcycle -- especially when the battery is in such a difficult location to service.

Skywagon,

My PC680 came with the 2 copper brackets. No additional purchase was required. The PC battery is slightly shorter, as in not as tall, than the OEM battery on my '04 RT. This sounds like a good thing but the rubber hold down strap was then too long to provide any hold down tension on the new battery. I raised up the battery by sliding in some wood blocks under the battery.

Regards,

Ron Cooper

Round Rock, Tx.

Thanks Ron C. Do you recall how much wood you needed? 1/8, 1/4, more?

I WOOD think that the spacer would be the thickness of the difference in height between the old/new battery.

Thanks Ron C. Do you recall how much wood you needed? 1/8, 1/4, more?

I did something similar by using 4 self-sticking rubber bumper thingys (intended as feet for small do-it-yourself electronic project boxes) stuck onto the battery tray. Added about 1/4 inch to the height of the battery and looked better than a piece of wood.

Its hard to tell from the picture but isnt the (+) terminal connection WAY too close to the battery tray. Hope there is no path to ground !

Good spot. Yes, I have had an occasional arc welder surprise when removing the battery but there is enough clearance in normal use to prevent a direct short.

Archived