IGNORED

Air Ratchets, and working on your Bike

Dans08

With about 30 bolts just on the body work I was wondering if anyone has used a air ratchet to remove some of the fasteners when working on your bike.

I have an old air compressor and just picked up a 3/8" drive 55Ft LBS air ratchet and thought about using it for removing body work bolts etc. Is this a bad idea?

Dan

With about 30 bolts just on the body work I was wondering if anyone has used a air ratchet to remove some of the fasteners when working on your bike.

I have an old air compressor and just picked up a 3/8" drive 55Ft LBS air ratchet and thought about using it for removing body work bolts etc. Is this a bad idea?

Dan

Dan, with the proper background & feel for tool usage you could use a 3/8 air ratchet to remove motorcycle bolts & nuts.. Like any air tool they can get you into big trouble if you don’t have a good working feel for the tool & how it sounds/feels when things are right or wrong..

I have lots of air outlets in my shop,, & many many air tools,, & use air tools pretty exclusively on automotive & tractor repairs.. That being said I seldom use large air tools on my motorcycles.. Mostly either use Tee handles,, smaller drivers,, or if lots of small screws use a battery powered drill/driver.. If I do use an air ratchet on smaller motorcycle parts it is usually a small precise ¼” drive air ratchet..

Those fairing screws & panel attaching screws on the BMW’s are fairly easy to cross thread or strip when using hand tools why make it even easier to mess up with a 3/8” air wrench..

Twisty

"Like any air tool they can get you into big trouble if you don’t have a good working feel for the tool & how it sounds/feels when things are right or wrong.."

Completely agree with Twisty on this one. Personally, I like manual tools, battery, or electric. I don't miss the 30 screw exercise one bit.

Gotta agree. I would rarely use air tools on my bikes. Maybe to remove a stubborn swing arm bolt or such. I save the air tools for more rugged stuff, like lug nuts. Too much can go wrong in a hurry on the light weight stuff.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I do use light a weight powered screwdriver with a good slip clutch. My experience with air tools suggests more robust applications.

Good advice here. I use airtools when appropriate (i.e. larger stuff). Love T-handles for smaller fasteners. You break it loose then give the handle a spin and voila!

My experience with air tools suggests more robust applications.

Oh I don't know... my 450 ft.lb. 1/2" air wrench gets those fairing screws out right quick...

Calvin  (no socks)

I regularly use a 3/4" Ingersol Rand impact wrench on stubborn fastners on rusty cars. It wears me out....Never have been tempted to use my 3/8 air ratchet on my bike. My 1/4 air ratchet is the 3rd one I have worn out, but not on my bike...

I do use a clutch protected power driver... but, iffin I strip sumpin out I know whose arse to kick! :grin:

Well, you see, I know enough to ask before trying. I didn't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it when I first thought about it.

I'll stick to the hand tools.

I regularly use a 3/4" Ingersol Rand impact wrench on stubborn fastners on rusty cars. It wears me out....Never have been tempted to use my 3/8 air ratchet on my bike. My 1/4 air ratchet is the 3rd one I have worn out, but not on my bike...

I do use a clutch protected power driver... but, iffin I strip sumpin out I know whose arse to kick! :grin:

Calvin, I hear you,, I have an older Ingersoll-Rand ½” drive that posed to kick out over 600 ft lbs… I do know it is strong old bugger but weighs a ton & is a real air hog as it will run my 28 cfm compressor full time when I get a stubborn nut on a long stud.. It really needs a ½ feed hose but my shop hoses are 3/8” so it probably has a hard time getting a full breath.. I run my shop air at 175 psi but not sure that helps much..

Twisty

I just used my trusty speed handle fitted with any number of adapters. If your technique is good, you can spin those panel screws on and off with one hand.

ProductUser

Dan

I once heard that you can generate 6 ft/lbs of torque with a screwdriver. That helped me put things in perspective. So, the amount of torque required to remove/install a fastener dictates the tool...and starting smaller has never failed me.

So, my rule of thumb is to use the smallest reasonable tool in any given situation. 1/4" is my drive of choice for the bikes. Also gives me a much better feel for the threads. I cannot tell you the last time I stripped a fastener.

Can you use a 3/8" drive air ratchet on the bodywork fasteners? Absolutely. But I know I would add too much torque to most situations (even if the air and tool were set very low), and I'd lose the feel.

That said, my 1/4" drive air ratchet was my favorite tool for automotive work. I did everything but the head bolts and engine mounts on 4-cylinder head R/R with that ratchet...valve cover, TB covers, accessories, intake/exhaust manifolds, tensioners, water pump...zip zip. Can't say I have ever used it on my motorcycles...but I probably have. Bikes are so easy to work on that I generally stick with hand tools. It is a Zen thing...

bb

Tim, I don't like the looks of the screw.

What I thought I'd try was break loose all the screws on the body work and then use the air tool to remove them all.

After reading the above I think for me, it my be best to use a cordless drill set on very low torque.

bb, I do see where a 1/4" drive air ratchet would be good to have around the house.

11101110, I like to looks of the Wera Kraftform tools. I'd also like to locate a US dealer and check them out.

Dan, I think you have a pretty good consensus here. Like many of the others, I have air tools, but do not use them on the bike. ( I don't have that feather light touch that Seth has.) I do use a clutched battery drill to remove the tupperware screws, but always re-install then with the "T" handle by hand.

Dans08, I get my Wera from MSC (mscdirect.com). I also have a set of the electricaly insulated screw drivers. If I had a pile of money I would buy a bunch more of the Wera kraftforms (after another bike of course)

Not a bad idea, are grade 8 fasteners available for the Tupperware screws?

Bob, the Tupperware screws are metric so if graded would more than likely be something like 8.8 or 10.9 but as a rule smaller stainless steel screws are just called out by their stainless composition.. Such as 304 or 316 or maybe something like 18-8..

Doesn’t matter as you can’t tighten them enough to get any where near elongation as there are plastic panels & soft inserts involved..

The important thing on Tupperware screws are thread quality,, smoothness,, & having slightly pointed ends (like the black OEM) as they will start easier & tend not to gall on installation..

Twisty

russell_bynum
Dans08,I use a cordless screwdriver to remove the screws, but always put them back in manually.

That's what I usually did for the fairing screws on my R1100RT.

Archived