IGNORED

Hurricane Ike-Storm Pictures

ericfoerster

After the morning coffee I talked the wife into going to the beach. I wanted to see the damage from Hurricane Ike and take some pictures.

We left out of Beaumont and went south on 87 to High Island, Gilchrist, Crystal Beach, Port Bolivar, and across the ferry to Galveston.

The amount of damage left me speechless at times. There were entire blocks wiped away. I saw boats just beached, waiting for someone to claim them. Some appeared to be in very good shape and some trashed. There are hundreds of trashed vehicles all over the place.

The nice hotels at the end are where allot of footage was filmed from during the hurricane. Anderson Cooper (CNN) and the weather channel people where in these two hotels.

It seems to me the main beachfront areas in Galveston did well compared to those who were not protected by the seawall.

I just thought I’d share some pictures for those who have never seen hurricane damage. Sorry for the poor quality. The fog was intense at times and I was lucky to get any pictures at all.

ike1.jpg

ike2.jpg

ike3.jpg

ike4.jpg

ike5.jpg

ike6.jpg

ike7.jpg

ike8.jpg

ike9.jpg

I live about 45 minutes from Galveston. The merchants are really hurting. Most are closed, many of the business locations along the seawall are just gone. Not there. New beach. Tragic. They are slowly getting a few things open and the merchants could really use the income. I went down a couple of weekends ago for the LoneStar Rally. There were thousands of bikes there doing their best to spend money.

I try to ride down either every Saturday or Sunday and have lunch somewhere just to spend a few bucks there. One of my favorite places is on the seawall named Benno's. If anyone cares to meet in Galveston on the weekend, let me know. Perhaps we could do an informal ride-in to help with the local economy.

No affiliation...just feel bad for the people.

Wow, that's terrible. I just heard a piece on the radio last week about the lack of post storm clean up down there and the cost of the work to be done to get the area back to any semblance of normal.

Thanks for the pictures, Eric.

Eric,

Thanks for sharing! Scary isn't it? We're all just a disaster away from ... A good reminder to keep what is important to us close!

I live about 45 minutes from Galveston. The merchants are really hurting. Most are closed, many of the business locations along the seawall are just gone. Not there. New beach. Tragic. They are slowly getting a few things open and the merchants could really use the income. I went down a couple of weekends ago for the LoneStar Rally. There were thousands of bikes there doing their best to spend money.

I try to ride down either every Saturday or Sunday and have lunch somewhere just to spend a few bucks there. One of my favorite places is on the seawall named Benno's. If anyone cares to meet in Galveston on the weekend, let me know. Perhaps we could do an informal ride-in to help with the local economy.

No affiliation...just feel bad for the people.

That's a good idea.....I'll work on it and get back to ya.

Whip

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the pics/sorry you both had to see such horrible damage. A belated happy holidays to you and family. :wave:

Archived