IGNORED

Heated Gear is STUPID.

markgoodrich

I got a Warm n Safe jacket, heat troller and gloves for Christmas, figured out a nifty way to mount the control on the RT's radio control blank, and wired it all up, jacket and gloves get hot right away. TOTALLY STUPID.

It's dark-thirty and 70 degrees F and the forecast for the rest of the week is similar. The heck kind of stupid present is that? And for that matter, the heck kind of stupid weather is this, I can't use my new toys?

Other than stupid, the quality of the product is very high, I'm happily impressed. The company also makes the stuff sold under the FirstGear brand.

I feel your pain. Got Gerbing gloves, jacket, controller and it's 40 outside. It was 14 when I hit the road on Tuesday. I'm gonna see low-mid 30s a few days in the next week.

Gotta admit the Mrs. treats me well :Cool:

And I do miss Texas.

I wish I could use my heated gear....

Maybe in April????

chtucker, you can.. Nothing says you need to use it on a motorcycle.. I have the Gerbings power outlets on some of my tractors (especially on the Diesel tractor I use for snow plowing) & find the heated jacket liner & heated gloves are a real nice heated accessory when plowing snow in cold damp winter weather..

I also have a cigarette lighter adapter so can use my Gerbings heated gear in my truck or car.. It works just great for those short trips to the store or to town as I don’t have to warm the vehicle prior to driving off..

The heated gear is also nice in a boat for cold weather fishing..

Probably lots of other non motorcycle related cold weather use could be thought of..

Twisty

Matt, this is all you need to operate your Gerbings heated gear from an auto lighter plug.. If other brand of gear just get the correct adapter to match your plug to auto lighter socket..

access_3.jpg

Twisty

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

That's what I'm doing with the BMW bucks I got for Christmas, Jacket glove and controller.

The parts guy at Iron Horse loaned me his the other day when it got down into the high 30's in the morning. Sweet!

Here's a photo of how I mounted the heat-troller control. I bought the "permanent mount" version. Was pretty easy. I cut the "bridge" between two of the radio control holes under the blank insert, to make it easier to place the little LED light, but I prolly could've just crammed them both into one hole.

The other knob is the control for an Amplirider amp, useful for controlling music volume with the Autocom.

IMG_1945.jpg

Here's a photo of how I mounted the heat-troller control. I bought the "permanent mount" version. Was pretty easy. I cut the "bridge" between two of the radio control holes under the blank insert, to make it easier to place the little LED light, but I prolly could've just crammed them both into one hole.

The other knob is the control for an Amplirider amp, useful for controlling music volume with the Autocom.

Mark, nice looking setup,, those bike mounted heated gear controllers are nice & convenient & make temp adjustments while riding a snap but unfortunately for riders that own & ride multiple bikes or use their heated gear on other equipment it just isn’t practical..

I assume your on-bike controller is only a single controller so you can’t adjust gloves & jacket liner separately? Up here in the colder climates I usually run my gloves a fair amount higher than my jacket liner or vest..

Twisty

Correct, Twisty, it's a single controller. I figured that with heated grips, the single controller would be sufficient. Especially since it's 77F right now. :eek::clap:

I bought my wife the Warm n Safe passenger gloves, which are heated back and palm. She thinks I'm the greatest....

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
That's what I'm doing with the BMW bucks I got for Christmas, Jacket glove and controller.

The parts guy at Iron Horse loaned me his the other day when it got down into the high 30's in the morning. Sweet!

Taht is one clean set-up. Very nice. Is tht a BMW panel? I will have to see of something similar is avilable for the GT.

Stupid is as Stupid does :eek:.

Anyone that needs or uses Heated Gear in the TexasHill Country is nothing but a big weenie :rofl:

Well, I suppose you have a point, although a Norther does blow through a few times a year. Besides, there's a place called Mountains that we ride to on a regular basis, has white stuff on the tops.

Taht is one clean set-up. Very nice. Is tht a BMW panel? I will have to see of something similar is avilable for the GT.

R1200RT has a blank panel on the left side of the fairing for radio controls. The panel just pops off, and there are holes underneath. I've not been around a GT enough times to know if they come with a similar panel. If not, it's a simple matter to remove tupperware and drill a couple of holes directly into the tupperware. Wubba gwommets will cover any holes made, if you want to retain the controls when you sell the bike...or you can do as Twisty suggests, and get the not-fixed-permanently one.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

:dopeslap: I just got off my butt to take a look, and sure enouhg there is a blank panel on the GT as well. Hoping ther are holes underneatn.

Thanks

P.S. I almost asked what Wubba Gwommets were.

Thanks!

Butters-Rich, here is the kit you get from Gerbings for about $79.00.. You can basically mount it anywhere as the part circled in red is mounted to & below the panel or flat piece of dash/fairing.. The rest can be tie strapped about anywhere close..

Just two holes,, one for the control knob & one for the little LED light.. You will have to make your own connections to the power outlet on the bike unless you just want to use the furnished round plug & have it stick out of a panel or from under the seat somewhere..

You can also buy a dual kit to allow both jacket/vest control as well as separate control of something like gloves or sox or pants..

It does make a nice neat looking package but limits the control to that particular motorcycle..

temp_7.jpg

Twisty

Butter, here's a photo of what is under the radio control blank. You can see I cut out a little connecting section between two holes to get the Heat Troller's integrated circuit to fit.

While I'm at it, let me once again recommend Warm n Safe's products and customer service. It appears the stuff is virtually identical to Gerbings (I have no knock on Gerbings, I'm talking about my own experience with Warm N Safe). While installing my Christmas gear yesterday, Christmas day, a question came up, and I sent the company an email. I was quite surprised to get not one, but two responses the same day. Here's a LINK. Cheers.

IMG_1947.jpg

Fightingpiper

Butters-Rich, here is the kit you get from Gerbings for about $79.00.. You can basically mount it anywhere as the part circled in red is mounted to & below the panel or flat piece of dash/fairing.. The rest can be tie strapped about anywhere close..

Just two holes,, one for the control knob & one for the little LED light.. You will have to make your own connections to the power outlet on the bike unless you just want to use the furnished round plug & have it stick out of a panel or from under the seat somewhere..

You can also buy a dual kit to allow both jacket/vest control as well as separate control of something like gloves or sox or pants..

It does make a nice neat looking package but limits the control to that particular motorcycle..

temp_7.jpg

Twisty

here is my gerbings dual controller setup

399177331_TZg2k-L.jpg

Twisty

here is my gerbings dual controller setup

Fightingpiper, where is the power plug for each controller at?

Does one controller control the stock powerlet & the other just have a round plug hanging out somewhere?

Obviously you need to run two wires back to your heated gear..

Twisty

Fightingpiper

How the dual controller works is that it has a box that I mounted under the left side tupperware via 3M dual lock/zip ties. From that box two wires run up to the control knobs, power wires run to the fuse block and 2 wires routed out under the seat that I plug my gear into. I can controll 2 separate items independently with these.

Unfortunalty I got a tourmaster synergy jacket liner as a gift last christmas which comes with its own attached controller. I thought I would be able to use gerbins controller with the jacket but everytime the variable Gerbings shuts off the Tourmaster contrller shuts off and doesn't come on when the Gerbings comes back on. I had to run a separate wire for the TOurmster jacket so I have 3 wires running out under my seat. One for the Jacket, one for my gloves and the other for my socks (don't have pant liner yet). It does allow me to control everything separately which has its advantages except I have to plug 3 things in when I get on the bike....

Bike is at the shop right now so I can't get any pics for you.

If you get THAT mucg bad winter weather then use the heated gear on a snowmobile. I enjoy not having to put away the bike, ever, in So Cal. I did live in upstate NY for some years so I know about storing the bikes for winter. But I always hated it.

Calvin  (no socks)

It was 80F here today... had to use the fan at work this morning...went swimming when I got home... got to gas up the bike so I can take an early romp below 70 degrees.. global warming at its best.... sweet. :thumbsup:

After an early ride on the K12s, I will surf for a hour or two tomorrow. I will be thinking of the frozen tundra north of I-10.... I got some Patigonia long underwear from Santa... #3... thick ones... (usually get the silk weight stuff)... and wear it well into the spring...Heated gear is necessary somewhere...not here today...

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
Butter, here's a photo of what is under the radio control blank. You can see I cut out a little connecting section between two holes to get the Heat Troller's integrated circuit to fit.

While I'm at it, let me once again recommend Warm n Safe's products and customer service. It appears the stuff is virtually identical to Gerbings (I have no knock on Gerbings, I'm talking about my own experience with Warm N Safe). While installing my Christmas gear yesterday, Christmas day, a question came up, and I sent the company an email. I was quite surprised to get not one, but two responses the same day. Here's a LINK. Cheers.

IMG_1947.jpg

Mark, Thanks! I went with the Warm and Safe jacket and gloves with the portable controller. I've got it sll wired up and velcroed the controller to the clutch reservoir. Works great. It was hovering aroud 40 all day here today, and I was nice and toasty. Very comfortable and good quality gear. I stopped at Starbuck's for a coffee and couldn't wait to get back on the bike to warm up again.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Well, that 1 mile ride to Fry's turned into an hour long tour of Tucson including about 15 freeway miles at 80ish. The LEO's had someone pulled over about every 5 miles, too busy to notice me. For any of you familliar with Oro Valley, the OPD had three cars stopped between Tangerine and McGee. Geeez! I guess Sunday mornings aren't the best time to hoon it up.

When I left the temp was 29. I was only wearing a tee shirt, Warm and safe Jacket, and my Kilamanjaro jacket without the liner. This is one nice outfit. I had to turn off my heated grips because it was too warm with the W&S gloves. I just expanded my riding window a bunch.

Great stuff!

Look at this $20 Pulse Width Modulator:

http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/MX033

I put this in a Radio Shack project box with an LED to tell me it is on. I use it with my Gerbing gloves but it will work for the Gerbing vest or jacket also. This is the same type electronic module as used in the heat troller or Gerbing unit and will mount in the RT the same way as the other units.

Gael

It was 80F here today... had to use the fan at work this morning...went swimming when I got home... got to gas up the bike so I can take an early romp below 70 degrees.. global warming at its best.... sweet. :thumbsup:

After an early ride on the K12s, I will surf for a hour or two tomorrow. I will be thinking of the frozen tundra north of I-10.... I got some Patigonia long underwear from Santa... #3... thick ones... (usually get the silk weight stuff)... and wear it well into the spring...Heated gear is necessary somewhere...not here today...

I must not hate Calvin, :mad:

I must not hate Calvin, :cry:

I must not hate Calvin, :wave:

Effexer, glad it will work. Just noticed they sell a box already sized for the unit at a pretty good price. Wish they had offered that when I was making mine!

Gael

Just be careful about using it for destinations you get to by air. :)

Woman taken off flight http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3374195.stm

I wish I could use my heated gear....

Maybe in April????

chtucker, you can.. Nothing says you need to use it on a motorcycle.. I have the Gerbings power outlets on some of my tractors (especially on the Diesel tractor I use for snow plowing) & find the heated jacket liner & heated gloves are a real nice heated accessory when plowing snow in cold damp winter weather..

I also have a cigarette lighter adapter so can use my Gerbings heated gear in my truck or car.. It works just great for those short trips to the store or to town as I don’t have to warm the vehicle prior to driving off..

The heated gear is also nice in a boat for cold weather fishing..

Probably lots of other non motorcycle related cold weather use could be thought of..

Twisty

Archived