IGNORED

It's been a busy day for the Fire Department

Firefight911

It is truly a miracle of God no one was killed. Very serious injuries for some.

I don't post this as a buzz kill but as a reminder to cherish your family, friends, and enemies. Also, don't take for granted the potential dangers in your own home!

LINKY

I'm on duty and we had 2 of our crews on the scene.

I appreciate each and every one of you for what you give, contribute, and for who you are. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Let's hope we share a piece of road together and get to break some bread next year.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Just a note: Enemies I care about I call, "frienemies."

Good words Phil, and thanks for what you do everyday to protect the citizenry.

Bravo Zulu!

All the best to you and yours this Holidy Season and beyond as well.

tHANKS fOR the post Phillippe'...that looked like it was one nasty blow...dang.!

Be safe out there brutha - let's moto when the weather turns nicer.

Very scary...

The Fire Department just left our house 30 minutes ago. We awoke to an electrical smell very early this morning.

Fire Department could find nothing, electrician could find nothing. But everybody smelled the electrical smell.

Electrician suggested that the wall devices be opened and checked for loose wiring. Only thing on was the roof ventilation fan (controlled by thermostat and humidistat) and that circuit was not hot!

The scary part is the no definitive answer....yet

Oddly, it occurred to me during the night that there is a built in safety hazard with modern gas ranges. I confirmed it's so with my 2 year old GE Profile unit this morning. If one or more burners is turned on past the 110v piezo starter without igniting and left there long enough for fumes to gather guess what happens when a burner valve is turned off? Yep, it engages the piezo starter a 2nd time with a potential explosion. Can you imagine the results if left unattended when a mom or elderly person is distracted or confused, then turned to the off position? BOOM!

Jeff

Very scary...

The Fire Department just left our house 30 minutes ago. We awoke to an electrical smell very early this morning.

Fire Department could find nothing, electrician could find nothing. But everybody smelled the electrical smell.

Electrician suggested that the wall devices be opened and checked for loose wiring. Only thing on was the roof ventilation fan (controlled by thermostat and humidistat) and that circuit was not hot!

The scary part is the no definitive answer....yet

You checked all major AND minor appliances? I've had items as simple as a portable CD player make a heck of a lot of smell after biting the dust. Might be as simple as an AC adapter that partially shorted internally. See if everything that's currently plugged-in still works.

The mystery is solved...

After all the crowds had left the house...about an hour later...we noticed that the house was getting colder. Set the T-stat to call for heat, no response, turned the fan on no response. Opened the furnace, then opened the control panel inside the furnace, a totally fried circuit board. The board was burned completely through.

So a call to HVAC contractor who promptly replaced the board. Even though it wasn't cheap it was much better than not knowing at all.

I did check the furnace earlier, as well as all the other visitors, but the furnace must have been blowing the electrical fumes through the ducts and thus no smell at the furnace. Live and learn, with an emphasis on the live.

How can people not appreciate the Fire and rescue people we have, what a blessing....

Nice n Easy Rider

Larry,

Glad to hear your problem has been identified and solved. Pretty hard to go to sleep at night knowing that you have an electrical problem somewhere in the house. Sleep well now and stay safe.

A number of years ago we had a very bad icestorm with widespread power outages. One resident, who lost power was cooking with a coleman stove, the type you pump manually. Well they had set it on the stove as they had been cooking when the power went out and never bothered to turn off the burner. Guess what happened when the power came on. The burner heated the tank boiling the gas which eventually found a ignition source. The house exploded. Though not as bad as this the walls were bulged out and the roof was lifted clean off and set down with a slight rotation on it. Thankfully no one was home at the time.

Archived