IGNORED

Front Brake "Judder" Question

Rotor

I've read some of your posts about the known brake judder problem on some bikes. My 05 1200RT has had this issue for some time now and has already had the rotors replaced once under warrantee. This solved the problem for a while but now it's back.

My question is this: Of those that have experienced this issue, have you been able to totally and permanently resolve the returning judder without having the wheel replaced?

I am now on my fourth set of rotors at 59K miles. Each of the first three would warp after a couple thousand miles of normal use. The first replacement set were the same as OEM. The second set were the "new" floating rotors. The third set were said to be modified yet again although they do look the same as the second. BMW replaced all under warranty. After 7K miles, the fourth set seems to be the charm so make sure your replacements are the very latest part number.

Bill

I was on my third set of rotors at 22,000 miles when I sold the bike. I got the floating rotors on the second replacement...and they still went bad after about 8,000 miles.

I solved the problem with a replacement bike.

Good luck to you.

There were a very few wheels that had the brake rotor mounting tabs machined at different heights. Remove the rotor and use a dial indicator to check.

Then they (BMW) came out with the floating rotor "kit" to allow for the slight variation of the mounting tabs on the wheel.

Usually installation of a new rotor and the floating kit cures the problem.

There were a very few wheels that had the brake rotor mounting tabs machined at different heights. Remove the rotor and use a dial indicator to check.

Then they (BMW) came out with the floating rotor "kit" to allow for the slight variation of the mounting tabs on the wheel.

Usually installation of a new rotor and the floating kit cures the problem.

Yes, basically the kit is a set of rubberized mounting washers that compensate for slight variations in the wheel machining. Ideally BMW would replace the wheel under warranty (and I have heard of instances where they have) but the kit seems to cure 99% of them.

I thought I had warped rotors until the front wheel was replaced due to rock damage...problem resolved.

A friend had the same problem...Front wheel was replaced after second warping and it solved the problem...Front wheel wasn't true..........

Thanks for all the information. This will be the second set under warantee (it's an 05 I bought new in 06). The warantee expires in February and I hope this set corrects it. I don't want to get into it with them after the warantee expires.

However, except for the brake issue I've had very good luck with the bike (knock-on-wood)! :thumbsup:

Don't you think it's a bit ironic that when joining I selected the board name of "Rotor"? Glad it wasn't something like Gearhead or Final-Drive! :rofl:

Nope.

After four sets of rotors they replaced the front wheel under warranty (100% coverage). That fixed the problem - because it is the problem.

Good luck.

Thanks Joe. I guess we'll see. I'm sure pressing them for a wheel would be in vain at this point; they've got to go through all of their procedures first.

That's the only thing that concerns me. By the time it shows up again the waranttee will have expired. While I know what they should do...

I was in the same boat John.

My warranty was a few months from expiring and I had to push a bit for them the change the wheel. I had a little more leverage, since I was on the 4th set of rotors, but I just tried to be as honest as I could with the Service manager about my fear of getting stuck with having to shell out $1000 for a new wheel post-warranty for a problem that was pretty clearly a manufacturing defect. He went to bat for me and I think it made all the difference.

One would think they would stand behind a problem brought to their attention prior to warantee expiration. I'll give them the benefit and keep a positive attitude; hoping they do the right thing.

Archived