IGNORED

12K check up time

Skywagon

I turned 12K on my 2005 R1150RT about a week ago. I live in the Houston area and as far as I know there are two dealers. I plan to schedule an appointment next week for the service. Just a couple of questions.

Should I ask each dealer for a bid, or should I expect them to be fairly close? I am going to have them change all fluids including final drive, brakes, oil. I will ask them to change plugs, set valves do a TB sync. In addition to the normal BMW maintenance routine for 12K, is there anything else I should ask them to do?

The bike runs great.

I turned 12K on my 2005 R1150RT about a week ago. I live in the Houston area and as far as I know there are two dealers. I plan to schedule an appointment next week for the service. Just a couple of questions.

Should I ask each dealer for a bid, or should I expect them to be fairly close? I am going to have them change all fluids including final drive, brakes, oil. I will ask them to change plugs, set valves do a TB sync. In addition to the normal BMW maintenance routine for 12K, is there anything else I should ask them to do?

The bike runs great.

Skywagon, when it comes to BMW dealer service prices ALWAYS ask up front.. That way you won’t be horrified when you get the bill.. Prices can vary between dealers but so can the quality of service..

Be sure to also ask what is included as the service might not be exactly the same between dealers either..

Has you final drive gear oil ever been changed? If not that might be a good thing to have done..

Twisty

The bike runs great.

if anything, learn to do the fluids. easy and saves big bucks. checking out the forthcoming tech daze is a great idea.

Man ole man. I cannot urge or recommend to you enough that you should head on over to Limecreek's for his tech day. The fluid change alone is going to cost you $150-$200, The brake flush will be $350-$400, valves and T.B. sync another $150-$200, plugs will be $125-$175. If you don't mind dropping close to a grand on this stuff no worries. If you want to spend about $200 on parts and get instruction so you can do it yourself Limecreek's tech daze is your savior.

Do the tech day! I never did this sort of work on a bike before and just did about everything you listed myself for only the cost of parts and some time on here learning how to do it and some weekend time doing the work in the driveway. The bike now runs like new and I feel great knowing I didn't pay someone else big money to do it for me. PLUS you can spend more time getting your valves and TB just right (better) than the dealership will do it.

X-tra bonus.....You'll never have to leave the dealership with that weird feeling like you were touched inapropriately by an elderly uncle. (Do you tell anyone or keep it a secret?)

Thanks guys so far for the suggestions. I am keeping an eye on the tech day and hope I can make it. I think I may try to split some of it up with the dealer and some myself or at the tech day. I have owned several airheads and have done almost all that work myself including spline lubes. With the concern about Final Drives, I may have the dealer do that so there is no confusion on "approved or correct viscosity relative to warranty" I have read the articles on changing the brake fluid and I have seen the little funnel, but I would like to see it done once before I tackle that one.

Even if I end up doing all at the dealer, I still want to make the tech day...weather and work permitting. Hope to meet some of you soon.

Well if you do anything at the tech day it should be the brake flush considering that is the most expensive item on your list and takes the most time. I am sure Limecreek has done a bunch of them. It is not a hard service to do but just time consuming and methodical. I am getting ready to do my brake flush in just 3 short weeks from now. Hope you can make the tech day. Once you see what is involved and how easy some of this stuff is you will be kicking yourself. Hope Santa was good to you.

Archived